Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aah… Aaah… AAHHH… CLAFOUTIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aah… Aaah… AAHHH… CLAFOUTIS!

I decided today that we just don’t get enough clafoutis in our diet. I figured that I had probably a dozen other, more productive things to do today, but I didn’t want to do any of them. So I addressed our clafoutis deficiency.

Clafoutis is really simple. It is traditionally cherries. Yeah, well, cherries are $10/lb right now. But I had a bag of Snap Dragon apples, and made it with those. You can use pretty much anything: blueberries, pears, raspberries, peaches, whatever.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/28...ple-clafoutis/

Custard:
    • 4 large eggs
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    Apples:
    • 5 tablespoons salted butter
    • â…“ cup brown sugar
    • ¼ cup water
    • 6 cups apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Optional)
    Directions
    • Step 1
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    • Step 2
      Mix eggs and brown sugar in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in flour and salt. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until well combined. Stir in vanilla extract and set aside to rest.
    • Step 3
      Melt butter, brown sugar, and water in a 10 1/4-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until mixture starts to boil. Reduce heat to medium; swirl skillet, but do not stir, until mixture starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add apples and cinnamon. Cook and stir until apples are crisp-tender and starting to brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from heat.
    • Step 4
      Stir egg mixture and pour over the apples in the skillet.
    • Step 5
    • Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown and custard is set, 28 to 35 minutes.
    The custard:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F449AC4-5B17-4357-86B1-55AA043A69D4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	1172580

The apples:

Click image for larger version  Name:	48ED9A94-BB27-44CE-B4E3-F037F2388DD6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	1172579
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C2E0D82A-5E3E-400C-A818-2FFC866CC98E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	1172578
    Click image for larger version  Name:	74FFE6FE-94BD-4545-9F8D-3279895EB5DF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1172581

Mixed ‘em up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2DC36028-22C7-4479-9E42-91763DA6701D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	1172582

Baked:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FEA46F3C-4450-47AB-B8FA-9FA7FE64AE78.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	1172585

Settled:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8855F263-A444-4EFC-8EC7-0877826BEBCC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1172583

And on a plate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	9D284BED-4D0A-4209-89B8-EF4A807C1DC8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	1172584

Some notes.

1) I used dark brown sugar because I had an open box. Use light brown sugar.
    2) The recipe came out a little watery. That is my inexperience with baking, I think. There are lots of ways to address that: more flour, cook the apples longer, etc. I baked it an extra 10 minutes.
    3) 6 cups of apples is a lot. Maybe 4 cups would give a better balance.

But, as Mrs Mosca said when she tasted it, "Oh my God that’s delicious." So there you have it.
    Last edited by Mosca; February 9, 2022, 03:15 PM.

Looks fantastic!

Comment

A real pleasure to indulge in,,,,,
      I haven’t made one in way toooo long,,,

Comment

That looks really really good!

Comment

needs ice cream and a nap space

man i want to eat that right now

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it does.

Have you heard of Far Breton? I found the recipe in Feb. 2005 Bon Appetit. I’ve been making it for years now!

2 cups whole milk
          3 large eggs
          1/2 cup sugar
          5 T melted unsalted butter
          1/4 tsp vanilla
          1/8 tsp salt

Put all of above in a blender, blend 1 minute. Add

1/3 cup all purpose flour (recipe says 3/4 cup, but I think that’s too much.)

Pulse just until blended, scrape sides down. Cover and refrig 3 to 24 hours.

I add dried fruit that’s softened with brandy. Raisins, prunes, apricots, cherries — pick one.

prep an 8” cake pan with 2” sides with butter. Cut parchment paper to fit bottom. Place in cake pan and butter the paper too.

Oven at 375 degrees, rack in center.

reblend batter, pour in pan, drop fruit into batter - distribute evenly. Bake on a sheet until sides are puffed and brown and knife into center comes out clean. This is about 1 hour. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.

flip if you want but I usually keep it in the pan in the frig.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I just read about it, it looks great!

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Dried fruit makes a big difference in custard set. For dried cherries, soak in Kirsch instead of brandy. For a tart tang to custard, use buttermilk for some of the whole milk. I love how it makes it’s own crust!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here