Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickled Red Onions (that I actually like)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled Red Onions (that I actually like)

This is my fourth batch of these and I was beginning to think I just did not like them, when most of the internet raves about them. They either turned out way too acidic, way too sweet, or way too...weird.

As it turns out, with many things, simpler is often better.

Here's the recipe that finally worked for me:
    • Take a red onion, peel it, and slice into thin slices lengthwise (pole-to-pole).
    • Place onion slices in a sealable container (I used a large deli container).
    • In a saucepan mix equal parts (I used one cup each) of distilled white vinegar and water.
    • Add a generous pinch of salt.
    • Bring mixture to a boil.
    • Pour over onion slices until they are all covered.
    • Let cool then place in refrigerator for two days.
    • Put on anything and eat.
    These onions have just the right amount of "pickled" flavor, great crunch, and are not overwhelming. Excellent on tacos!

We are planning to make pickled onions but canning them. I wonder if this recipe would work.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      The recipe would work for canning. If the ph is below 4.6 you can water bath can them. If not, you will need to pressure can.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I doubt the OP's recipe, which dilutes the vinegar by 50% with water, is NOT safe for canning. I'd store these pickled onions in the fridge and use reasonably promptly.

If you want to can the onions, I'd use the "Grow a good life" recipe shared by ComfortablyNumb. The footnotes explain this is a tested recipe from the "Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving". It doesn't include any added water.

FWIW, if you're testing pH, it has to be below 4.6 for the ENTIRE product not just the liquid

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl that is pretty close to the book my wife just received.

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving https://a.co/4KQWTKt

I will let her know to do the pickled one from this one, which I am sure she will be pleased about given the success the salsa and spaghetti sauce canning projects thus far which used the same book.
      Last edited by STEbbq; September 8, 2022, 04:42 PM.

I use a similar recipe. I like to add a bit of honey or maple syrup, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Comment

These are so good with tacos! Nothing better!

Comment

Thanks, will pick up some red onion and try, easy and a new condiment to!

Comment

Excellent condiment, and so simple! I use the same recipe.

Comment

Love these! Especially on a taco with a super fatty protein. My fav is lamb neck!

Comment

Would this work with banana peppers?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn’t see why not…..

I usually keep some pickled red onions or pickled shallots in the fridge.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                Now pickled shallots sounds really interesting....

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here