Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Smoking Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Smoking Cheese

I decided to try my hand at smoking cheese. After reading as many technique posts as I could find on various methods, I decided the best approach for me would be to use my Shirley reverse flow offset cooker.

I built a small fire using a few pieces of lump charcoal and added a couple of chunks of apple wood.

I put the cheese on at 9:45 AM EST. I forgot to taken a picture of the cheese but I took a couple of pictures of the fire and smoke output.

I'll update my post with more info as the smoke progresses.
    Attached Files

Keep it cold. I smoke a lot of cheese every year, then age it. I never do it unless the Temps are below 50° or lower outside during the entirety of the smoke.

Comment

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed texastweeter. Temp is relative based on location. Supposed to be -4 this weekend so I will be perfect for smoking some cheddar.

Will do texastweeter . The outside temp is currently 36 degrees F and the temp on the bottom she'll (typically the coolest part of the cook chamber) is running about 55 degrees. I've read that you need to keep the cook chamber below 80 degrees. If it starts getting too warm I'll add a hotel pan full of ice on the top shelf where the smoke/heat come out.

I just passed the 1 hour mark and added some more lump to keep the fire going and another piece of apple wood.
    Attached Files

Comment

You can also set a washed out tuna can on top of the coals and put the chips sawdust or pellets in there. That is what I did until I got an amazin maze and tube. I probably smoke around 100lbs of cheese a year. Be sure to bring it to room temp before adding to pit and then after before bagging and aging to prevent condensation and mushyness on the outside layer. Give it plenty of time to age before eating. If you don't it taste king of acrid and ashy, if that happens, age it longer.

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the guidance! This test run is for a gathering the 3rd week in January, so it will age for about 4 weeks. Can I keep it in the fridge, or should I freeze it?

I'm not sure freezing will allow the smoke flavor to mellow as much as you want. Also freezing changes the texture of some cheeses. I'd wrap it in waxed paper, then in plastic wrap, and keep it in the fridge.

Comment

Thanks IowaGirl . I pulled the cheese at 2.5 hours and I'm letting it rest on the counter. I was planning to vacuum seal the cheese, so I'll wrap in wax paper per your suggestion, then vacuum seal it and put it in the fridge.
        Attached Files

Comment

Give it a week to season in fridge. If u want taste a bit now then again in 7 days. You'll see why it's the worth wait.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally did this. I cut a small slice off of each block before I vacuum sealed. Then I cut each slice in half and tried a piece of each and then vac sealed the remaining pieces to put in the fridge with the blocks. I figure this way, I can open the small bag to taste in a couple week with out opening the whole block. Great idea!

I rest until room temp, then vac seal, then age in fridge. I age it up to a year.

Comment

Don't freeze it!

Comment

• RustyHaines
              RustyHaines commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed !

I always age a minimum of two weeks, wish I could say I had some that lasted a year like texastweeter, unfortunately once I open the package it doesn't last long. Never used apple wood may have to give that a go for a different flavour profile.

Comment

I typically use maple or fruit woods with cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
                Don't freeze it!
                Havedta emphasize that point; It will be safe to eat, but th texture turns all kinda grody, kinda like cottage cheese, minus th liquid...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqLuv I likeys me some cottage cheese jus fine, could eat me a bucket full, esp with some pineapple tidbits, or fruit cocktail mixed all up in it.

Now, lemme 'splain summat: I'm a Cheese a Holic... BIG TIME!!!

Smoked cheeses is even mo bettah, any day of th week that ends in 'y'.

But I've found that freezin my cheese yields a texture, an mouthfeel that I find most unsatisfactory: gritty, grainy, it becomes separated constituent ingredients, curled all up next to each other.

Rats.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Think mud pies when you were a youngunn. I like cottage cheese wit cracked black pepper and salted sunflower kernals.

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cottage cheese with fruit cocktail or crushed pineapple you nailed it.
                  Although I love cheese it does not like me. So small amounts work.

Well….. it happened….. I was inspired by efincoop and everyone else in the pit who talks about smoking cheese. I went and bought a few different types of cheeses that were on sale and threw them in the Genesis with an Amazen tube filled of apple and cherry pellets about an hour ago. I’m an absolute cheese-a-holic and have been dying to try my hand. Thanks Coop for the final push and everyone else for the advice you’ve given coop……. I’ve been lurking. Lol!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wanna hear bout how this comes out, Brother!
                  Gots me an Amazen tube, jus wonderin if'n I need to go buy me a Genesis lol!
                  Be safe and well, Reaper Wun Thuh-ree!
                  Firebase Bonedaddy, Fwd out.

Ricky Bobby that's how I do it. Genesis with pellets in smoke tube. Take all the suggestions given on this thread. It'll be delicious.

Comment

Sharp cheddar, colby jack, mozzarella, havarti, and gruyere. Excited!

. Click image for larger version

Name:	57E985AD-5EAF-4942-8C6A-2A056A16A0F3.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1151674

Comment

• efincoop
                    efincoop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting observation! I'd be willing to bet that may be the reason. Most of the examples I have seen the smoke is closer to the cheese. I was in the same boat as you regarding the cover on my offset. Difference was I got an earlier start and was able to let the cooker cool down and got the cover back on before it started to rain.

• RustyHaines
                    RustyHaines commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ooooohhhhh, a rich creamy smoked baby swiss is wonderful !

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RustyHaines True Dat, Brother!
                    Baby Swiss is wonderful, all on it's own...
                    Smokin it up some, jus takes it Over th Top, Fer Th Win!!!

Swiss is among th Kings of Cheeses, in My Book...
                    Baby Swiss is even morether betterer!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here