Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glitchy's Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glitchy's Meatloaf

A fairly basic meatloaf recipe that I've been tweaking to fit the tastes of my picky wife and daughter. My wife swears she hates meatloaf, but always eats this without complaint and once in a blue moon reminds me I haven't made it in some time. In 27 years together, I've never seen her eat another meatloaf and she didn't finish several I tried getting to this. So, this might be the compromise meatloaf for meatloaf haters and lovers?

Ingredients:
    2 lb 85% ground beef (80% works OK too, but don't even think about 93%)
    1 cup quick or old fashioned oats soaked in 2/3 c milk
    3/4 c finely chopped onion
    1/4 c bbq sauce (usually Sweet Baby Rays Sweet n Spicy)
    2 eggs lightly beaten
    1 T Worcestershire (or soy sauce)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp paprika

Directions:
    Mix all ingredients together, form into loaf, bake at 350 until 160 (around an hour). I usually press it into a saran lined loaf pan, then flip it out onto a grill pan and dome it a bit to keep grease from pooling on top. I have also smoked this a couple times at 250° and it takes 2-2.5 hours and turns out well.

Feel free to make this your own, I think it's a great starting point for a oat based meatloaf versus the traditional bread or cracker crumbs. Want half sausage, definitely try it (my wife wouldn't touch it that way or I would). I feel it's pretty solid, but about every other time I make it, I add one additional thing to give that a whirl.

I don’t glaze mine, but usually eat with more SBR bbq sauce. Daughter eats with ketchup, Wife eats plain. Son…I don’t know he eats so fast his plate is empty before I take two bites.

Other ideas:
    1 stalk celery grated (IMO you can get too much pretty easy from trying it).
    Green peppers
    Hatch Chilies
    (If you try it with something else added, comment and share how it turned out)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; March 5, 2024, 05:14 PM.

ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Sorry, I finally wrapped up a crazy project over last couple months at work and was scrolling through some photos today for something else and remembered I'd promised to post this for you.

Comment

Ever try mixing 50/50 with ground pork?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I would, but my wife wouldn’t eat it if I did.

Very nice Sir

Comment

Excellent

Comment

Thanks. I got 3, 2 pound bags of ground venison and bacon ends, needed a loaf recipe.

I prefer to match the garlic powder with onion powder and leave out the onion.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I mince it using a mini food processor, like down to the size on a McD’s regular burger.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            That's still too big for me. Never cared for onion or bell pepper in meatloaf.

I'll try to give this a shot in my preferred loaf pan formed method at some point

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
            A fairly basic meatloaf recipe that I've been tweaking to fit the tastes of my picky wife and daughter. My wife swears she hates meatloaf, but always eats this without complaint and once in a blue moon reminds me I haven't made it in some time. In 27 years together, I've never seen her eat another meatloaf and she didn't finish several I tried getting to this. So, this might be the compromise meatloaf for meatloaf haters and lovers?

Ingredients:
            2 lb 85% ground beef (80% works OK too, but don't even think about 93%)
            1 cup quick or old fashioned oats soaked in â…” c milk
            ¾ c finely chopped onion
            ¼ c bbq sauce
            2 eggs lightly beaten
            1 T Worcestershire (or soy sauce)
            1 tsp garlic powder
            1 tsp salt
            1 tsp black pepper
            2 tsp paprika

Directions:
            Mix all ingredients together, form into loaf, bake at 350 until 160. I usually press it into a saran lined loaf pan, then flip it out onto a grill pan and dome it a bit to keep grease from pooling on top.

Feel free to make this your own, I think it's a great starting point for a oat based meatloaf versus the traditional bread or cracker crumbs. Want half sausage, definitely try it (my wife wouldn't touch it that way or I would). I feel it's pretty solid, but about every other time I make it, I add one additional thing to give that a whirl.

Other ideas:
            1 stalk celery grated (IMO you can get too much pretty easy from trying it).
            Green peppers
            Hatch Chilies
            (If you try it with something else added, comment and share how it turned out)
            My mom would use oatmeal in her meatloaf. I use seasoned breadcrumbs. May have to try oatmeal next time

Comment

Thanks @gliitchy . Your recipe is similar to my Wife's recipe which I like to make on the MAK for a little different flavor profile. I just added meatloaf to my "to make" list. Yours looks wonderful!

Comment

BBQ potato chips

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As the binder or as an additional add in? As the binder could make an interesting bbq meatloaf. I make Jess Pryles Tex Mex meatballs that use smashed tortilla chips as a binder.

• djl
                  djl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Binder 😎

• wag
                  wag commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Use BBQ potato chips (sometimes) in hamburger meat.

Hi Glitchy, I'm making the meatloaf today for dinner, thanks for sharing your recipe!

Comment

Glitchy, can you correct those wonky amounts corrupted since you first posted by the site software?

glitchy

Kathryn

Comment

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for letting me know, I updated but let me know if you see something I missed.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, glitchy , for doing that. I sorta had it figured out but wanted to know the amounts for sure.

K.

Welcome, Tracy Evans . It's nice to see you posting on the site. How did your Cajun Meatloaf turn out?

Kathryn

Comment

Hi Kathryn/fzxdoc,

I haven't made the Cajun Meatloaf yet.
                    I went to the grocery store to get what I needed but never did get all the right things. I didn't make a list, (gosh, I wish I could just remember stuff and not need to make a list).

I got to say though, now that I've tried Glitchy's meatloaf- that's all I need right there! I love it, my family loves it and it's so easy to make. I wasn't sure it was going to be very good just from reading the ingredients, seemed a little plain -like everything I hate about meatloaf, and yet, everything I want meatloaf to be at the same time if that makes any sense?
                    This is that perfect balance. Tender, meaty and tasty balance! It's so delicious everybody should give this meatloaf recipe a try.
                    Last edited by Tracy Evans; March 4, 2024, 11:09 AM. Reason: measurements: I used: 1c for the "A" thingy

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, that's certainly a ringing endorsement for glitchy 's meatloaf recipe. I've never tried oatmeal in the place of traditional breadcrumbs. I may have to try this one. Thanks for the feedback!

Kathryn

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tracy Evans Thanks you so much for the glowing compliments on the recipe.

This is pretty close to the same as the family recipe. I tried the web of bacon (fattie) a while back. Once it is smoked to temp, a few more min in the kitchen oven under the broiler will crisp the bacon nicely. And I really mean only a few.
                    A decadent twist is dry rub a brick of cream cheese with MMD and cook that in the middle. Ohh yeah!

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve done the bacon weave on the recipe above. It’s hard to go wrong with 🥓.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here