Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biscuit recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you done good. beats Pillsbury doughboy.

Comment

So low and behold I found buttermilk at two local grocery stores.
      Its 1% so see how it works.
      I may just decide to stay in this backwards outpost after all
      RCSS has Neilson for $3.17 a liter
      Metro has Beatrice for $4.17 a liter

Comment

Great thread. Thank you all.

Comment

So I tried a batch of biscuits used the 1% buttermilk I found in stores here.
          Sadly I was un-impressed with them.
          I think the problem is the 1% buttermilk where whole buttermilk, if such a thing exists as whole buttermilk, should be used.
          Back in the day I remember buttermilk was yellowish in color which I assume was whole buttermilk, the 1% buttermilk I purchased is pure white.
          Another problem is me over working the dough.
          So back to the ol drawin board.

Comment

Back from the ol drawin board....
            This time for my wet ingredients I went with 3/4 cup 10% half &half and 1/4 cup 1% buttermilk.
            I worked the dough to a minimum, roll, fold, roll, fold roll to thickness for cutting.
            I don't have a rolling pin so using a tall glass to roll....so thickness is still an issue.
            Marked improvement rose a bit better and much flakier. Just like me!!!!
            Outta h&h now, wife's gunna massacre me at morning coffee time tomorrow.

Comment

• coupster
              coupster commented
              Editing a comment
              Go to your local lumber yard, box store and pick up a length of hardwood dowel that is comfortable to your hands and long enough to suit the purpose. Voila, you have a rolling pin. I used 2" dowel and got a 24" & a 12" out of a 3' length. AND you can safely beat things with it - a glass will break and cut your hands.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              10-4 with everything locked down here can't get into a lumber yard.
              Was in the Dollar store on Sunday, did I think to grab a rolling pin....No....

So todays experiment I tried Kefir plain yogurt as suggested by @IowaGirl.
            Mixed results, they tasted and looked great.
            I would probably give 10% half and half the nod over Kefir, but not by much.
            Plus I think I got the mixture too wet and as a result over worked the dough.
            Thus I didn't get the rise out of the biscuits I wanted.
            Also cut the biscuits smaller this time and took @gcgmd suggestion and placed them right beside each for baking.
            I have to get more consistent in my dough preparation.
            But a not bad biscuit is better n no biscuits.

Comment

Coupla pics of today’s effort
              still need a rolling pin too
              Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Those look amazing. I'll take 3 and a heap of butter.

• Texas Larry
                Texas Larry commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, man! Look delish!

Pioneer Brand is very popular down here.

Southern Biscuits & Sausage Gravy | Pioneer Recipes (pioneerbrand.com)

Cheddar Biscuit Brisket Sliders (pioneerbrand.com)

Comment

Meathead has a really good recipe for southern biscuits on the free side. I’ve made it a bunch of times and they always turn out great.
                Southern biscuits are not as hard as some folks want to make them. These biscuits can be served plain, with butter and/or jam, with turkey and the fixings, with ham, smothered in sausage gravy, and as sandwiches. They can be used as a topping for fruit cobblers, pot pies, or chili baked in a Dutch oven.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a really good recipe, especially when Meathead's sawmill (sausage) gravy is added to the game. Then I can't eat anything for the rest of the day, because that used up all my calorie allotment.

Kathryn

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the link, I had not read Meathead's recipe, I'm sorry sir....
                  Next step is adding baking soda now that I read the reaction between buttermilk and baking soda.
                  The one thing I have been striving to do is keep this as simple as possible, a simple handful of ingredients, work and cook.

Made a few this morning.
                Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking!

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice job....I'd be all over those!!!!

My wife baked a banana bread this morning so while the oven was still hot decided to give biscuits another shot
                This incantation I added
                1 teaspoon baking soda
                1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
                this after reading Meatheads recipe about the reaction between milk and bsoda....sorry again head man
                1/2 cup Kafir yogurt
                2 tablespoons of sour cream to get the doughs moisture content where I wanted it
                Minimal dough working
                see what these are like
                Attached Files

Comment

So.....
                  Great rise, the baking soda/ buttermilk combo made a big difference.
                  I think I'm going to drop the Kafir yogurt experiment....as much as it does enhance the biscuits I'm straying from tradition.
                  Even the 10% half and half is going to fall by he wayside.
                  My wife just commented the very first batch with plain old ingredients was her favorite of all the things I've tried.
                  Away way why re-invent the wheel, just add in baking soda to inflate it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here