Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to take a whack at making bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you like to take a whack at making bread?

OK I am gonna post one of the easiest bread recipes. There will be no kneading, and you don't need a scale. It will not look like the bread Richard Chrz and some others here make, but it will taste very good. You won't have to use a mixer either.

Ingredients:

3 cups bread flour (360g) - spooned into cup and level I suggest getting a 2 lb bag of flour
    1.25 cups water (280g)- room temp
    1/4 to 1/2 packet of instant or quick rise yeast
    1.5 tsp kosher salt (10g)

Mix it all together and stir until there is no dry flour left.
    Make the dough in a container large enough for it to double in size, or a bit more
    Set it on the counter for a few hours and then refrigerate for 2 or 3 days.
    On baking day, let it set on the counter for 2 or 3 hours before baking so it can warm up

About 45 minutes before you want to bake, turn the oven on set to 500° F
    When you are ready to bake, dump the dough on your floured counter and roughly shape it into a ball. If it's sticky, flour your hands.
    Place the dough on a lightly floured baking sheet and either spray it with water or wet it with a brush or your fingers.
    Set in in the oven, (middle rack), and bake for 14 - 20 minutes. Check at 14 min. You want to pull when the bread is golden brown.
    Check halfway through, and if it's not browning evenly, rotate 180°.
    Cool on a rack. It may not be completely done when you pull it, so let it cool to room temp before slicing. If you are like me, you won't be able to wait, but do let it cool until it's cool enough to handle with bare hands.

Please post in this thread if you decide to try this.

This baking stuff is fun, I may have to try this one. I started out with pizza doughs....then did burger and hot dog buns. Then I did that clam chowder bread bowl.

It's fun and it is amazing the different things you can get out of just flour, water, salt, and yeast. Plus your house will smell amazing!

Comment

Just curious: we all have instant read thermometers now. What temp should the bread be? I mean, couldn’t it be browned on the outside but a range of done on the inside, depending on each person’s oven?

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw That was very informative, thanks!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw - that's why I didn't mention temp - trying to keep it simple. I don't recall ever having a nicely browned hunk o' bread being undercooked.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If you bake it too hot, it can brown too quickly. If you place the dough on a rack too high in the oven, it can brown too quickly. The opposite is also true. But just follow the instructions in the recipe and you should be OK. And the first time you use a recipe, it's a good idea to check early.
        Last edited by RonB; January 15, 2023, 09:10 AM.

I do something similar. I take my bread to 195 degrees, that works for me here.

Comment

Most of my loaves end up between 200 and 210 F. I bake at 450 - 500.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Whatever works for you is right for you, but check out the two links Donw posted above for when your bread is done.

Is this recipe good for a Dutch oven
        we got wee for Christmas and the wife wants to try making bread

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood. My problem is my wife who wants thing done this afternoon not over 2-3 days so still in the debate stages.
          Next Question, our DO is 4.5L, is that enough DO for this recipe or will we have to decrease or increase ingredients.
          Still need to buy yeast will probably grab that tomorrow.
          Donw so thinking will do the wife's recipe then and prepare Rons method for a weds-thurs cook.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          smokin fool - It would be very close. I'd divide the dough in half and save the second piece for another time, or bake right after the first. You could freeze one loaf for another time. If fact, you could freeze the second piece of dough too. Just thaw, let rise, and bake.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Try the recipe I posted below.

I typically dislike bread baking because of all the flour mess--countertops, floor, everywhere except the bread board. I sidled up to trying it again during the lockdown but fortunately for me couldn't source ingredients. I was grumpy enough at the time without having to hose down a kitchen. Every time I bake, I rue the mess.

My idea of baking is to go to the fancy bakery 30 min away early in the morning and load up on carb-heavy deliciousness.

This bread recipe sounds like it might be worth a try, though, mess or not, because of the flavor. Thanks, RonB .

Kathryn

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your style girl....
          Its my wife who is hot the trot on bread making.
          I do want to try it though I will probably weigh 320 or so eating it all the time.

I like the NYT no knead recipe.
        • 3 1/3 cups/430 grams all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting
        • 1 1/2 cups/345 grams water
        • Generous 1/4 teaspoon/1 gram instant yeast
        • 2 teaspoons/8 grams kosher salt
        • Cornmeal or wheat bran, as needed

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups/345 grams water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is OK. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230111_173601~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	1362551

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230111_205336_445.webp Views:	1 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	1362550

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I put it in the oven with the light on overnight to keep it it around 70f.

• tstalafuse
          tstalafuse commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks amazing.

First sail of the good ship Homemade Bread.
        So we're using my wife's recipe because collectively apparently we know nothing....
        2 tsp yeast
        1.5 cups warm to hot to touch
        2 tbls kosher salt
        3 cuppa flour

My pics start at after the 2hour rest and I've just done the floured surface fold under thing.
        Letting int rest for another hour
        At 11:50 going to preheat the oven along with the Dutch oven.
        Right about 12:20 going the dough goes into the DO and the oven for 30 mins covered then another 10 to 15 mins uncovered.
        20 to 30 mins of rest then it's gluttony time.
        Comments and ridicule welcome.
        More updates to come....
        Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Pre measure not premature....hey smokes

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          You are off to a great start. Be careful with the hot water though. Yeast starts to die @ 120°, and 140° kills it all, (if memory serves... ).

The bubbles means yours is active.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB yes there seems to be as many points of view as cooks about yeast.
          My wife wanted to use boiled water out of the kettle, I persuaded her to run the tap until it was warm almost hotish to the touch.
          Some videos we watched cooked used room temp tap water or ice water right outta the fridge.
          As in most recipes will hunt around for a fav.

In the oven

Comment

Outta the oven!!!!!
          Give it 20 mins or so to rest and it's on....

There is however still some controversy on the amount of salt dispensed.
          Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks good enough to eat. You will know about the salt when ya taste it.

Cut her open and it's not that salty but, could definitely use less, will make sure of my measurements next go.
          It's a very dense almost heavy loaf, I'll give it a C- for taste B- for everything else.
          Definitely lots to improve on but not bad for a first try.
          Thank you for your very helpfull comments.
          Attached Files

Comment

• tstalafuse
            tstalafuse commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, you could freeze over night, then vacuum seal it, and ship it to me.. I will tell everyone you are the next Julia Child..

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Not bad at all and your next one will be even better!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            It does look great. and too much salt is easy to solve. If you decide to continue with this, buy a 1 lb pkg of yeast online. It's much cheaper than the envelopes. Some stores carry small jars, and that might be better for you.

I wish baking were easier where I live. Living at altitude really jacks with baked products, to the point I have completely given up on pizza dough. I wish there was a simple for every cup of this ingredient, take away or add this much, but no. Every recipe has some variation of too much yeast, too little yeast, more flour, less flour, more sugar, less sugar, more egg, less egg, and always more liquid.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Great thing is nothing is written in stone here.
            Next time less salt.
            Going to try 1 tsp yeast not 2.
            We are going to get a thermometer to help with water temp as per RonB comments.
            Got no answer for you altitude problem

Sorry, wrong thread
          Last edited by Donw; January 17, 2023, 06:53 PM. Reason: Post in wrong thread. Sorry

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here