Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael's Basic Stir Fry Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael's Basic Stir Fry Sauce

Hi all,

After much experimentation, this is the basic stir-fry sauce I've settled on. It doesn't try to be anything it is not; it is just a simple sauce that works equally well with beef, fish, chicken, and vegetables.

Here it is:
    • Two parts low sodium soy sauce (I use Kikkoman, the green bottle one).
    • Two parts oyster sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee Premium).
    • Two parts Shaoxing cooking wine (I get this on Amazon. The brand I use is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NVR4JZ).
    • Two parts cornstarch (for thickening).
    • One part sugar (I use cane sugar, but any sugar will do).
    I typically am doing stir-fries for myself for lunch, so for a single portion I typically do one tablespoon each of the soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine and cornstarch and then half a tablespoon of sugar. (Even through the oyster sauce has sugar in it, I find a little extra rounds it out a bit more). Mix well before using.

For me this is a just a simple well-balanced sauce. If you've never used Shaoxing wine (cooking or otherwise) give it a try. It really does elevate dishes. Dry sherry could also be easily substituted, but perhaps don't use the extra sugar.

For the longest time, I was experimenting with using chicken stock, but for reasons I have never understood, it always gave the sauce a bitter note for some reason.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; February 19, 2023, 02:10 PM. Reason: (originally wrote 'butter' and not 'bitter' in the last sentence.)

That looks good. If ya like a bit of heat, try adding in some chili bean paste and mix well.

I wish I could find some Shaoxing wine without the added salt. It's not sold in VA or NC, and I couldn't find any in TX the last time we were there either.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Same.....I don't have an Asian grocery store near me. The nearest one is a 45 minute drive away.

Thanks Michael, it won’t go into Paprika but I’m gonna print it out. Sounds good!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! This is pretty similar to what I use for my stir fry sauce as well. I wish I could find Shaoxing wine that is gluten free. I got excited last weekend when I found it at the market and then the disappointment sat it when I saw wheat is added….which doesn’t make any sense! So Sherry it is for me!

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Most stir fry sauces I've looked at share a handful of common ingredients which yours represents perfectly. A great base to add to if different flavors are wanted. I'll probably make a batch of your recipe to have on hand for impromptu stir fries. Sometimes I had Hoisin sauce (50% of the oyster sauce amount) to help sweeten the sauce.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a bottle of hoisin but haven’t used it. This is a great suggestion. I need to taste both side by side to see how they differ.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          barelfly I watched a youtube video the other day. An Asian cook discussed using Hoisin ans oyster sauces together, he does that in most of his stir fries. I forget which channel it was.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          58, it is what I do frequently.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here