Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gyeran Bap -- Korean Egg Rice Breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gyeran Bap -- Korean Egg Rice Breakfast

This is my take on Gyeran Bap: a simple, extremely flavorful, and relatively healthy common breakfast in South Korea. Gyeran means egg and bap means rice, so literally 'egg rice.'

You will need:
    • A cup of cooked rice (I use brown rice)
    • Two eggs
    • Extra virgin olive oil
    • Soy sauce (I use Kikkoman low sodium)
    • Sesame oil (any brand will do)
    • Furikake (a Japanese blend of seaweed and toasted sesame seeds; just sesame seeds would work, too.)
    • MSG (if you got it, else salt)
    • Sambal Oelek (Thai chili sauce)
    • Microwave, for heating the rice
    • Skillet (8" nonstick is perfect for this)
    This comes together fast. If your rice is already cooked, prep time is about a minute and it cooks in about two!
    1. Get a skillet heating over medium heat or whatever setting with which you typically fry eggs.
    2. Put a tablespoon or two of EVOO in the pan.
    3. Once hot, crack two eggs into pan, taking care not to break the yolks (dish will still turn out fine if you do).
    4. Sprinkle some MSG or salt onto the eggs.
    5. You want the eggs to finish with the yolks still runny, as the yolks form part of the sauce. When they are about a minute from being done, heat your rice in the microwave for one minute.
    6. Take the rice out and slide the eggs onto the rice.
    7. Drizzle about a tablespoon of soy sauce over the eggs.
    8. Drizzle about a teaspoon -- no more -- of sesame oil over the eggs.
    9. Sprinkle with furikake or sesame seeds.
    10. Using a knife, cut up the fried eggs into bite-sized pieces and let the soy sauce, oil, and yolks mix with the rice a bit.
    11. Place 1/2 tablespoon of sambal oelek on the side for garnish and extra flavor.
    Then eat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-6660.jpg Views:	32 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1362189

It took far longer to write this post than to actually make the dish. It is so good, full of umami and warmth. The runny yolk with the soy is delicious. As I use brown rice, I get a little bit of nutty flavor in there that I really like. The sambal gives it just a little kick of heat.

This will stay with you all morning. I have a pressure cooker that I use every five days or so to make four cups of cooked rice, so I always have rice on hand for things.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; January 15, 2023, 08:59 PM.

Looks and sounds delicious. I am going to try this sometime this week. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very similar to Tamago Kake Gohan, which just means egg covered rice. It's even simpler to make.Basically take a cup of rice, season it with a tsp of shoyu, crack an egg in it, and then whip it with chopsticks until the rice is coated in egg and you've incorporated air into it. And... That's it, really. I like to add a pinch of Hondashi powder and a pinch of white pepper and top it with Furikake, but that's all optional.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw this in Kenji's latest book! It looks tasty, but I am not sure (yet) if I can bring myself to eat an entire raw egg!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre you beat me to it! I also like adding togarashi for a bit of heat.

Michael_in_TX it’s not like eating a raw egg, it just kinda creates a “sauce”. It’s so good!

I’ll have to give this a try some time. Sounds wonderful!

Comment

Sounds great.

Comment

Well I got all this stuff. I have a pretty good idea of how it’s going to taste, it’s right up my alley. I’ll take a snap and put it here, probably tomorrow or Tuesday.

Comment

I've been experimenting some some slight variations with this:
            • Replace the toasted sesame oil with some dashes of Mongolian Fire Oil.
            • Replace the toasted sesame oil with a bit of miran on the rice, it gives it a little bit of that sushi-rice sweetness.
            This has been my go-to breakfast for quite a while now. Very fast (with premade rice), very tasty, very savory, very filling....and relatively healthy. I eat two tangerines afterwards, which go well to complement the saltiness and mild spiciness of the dish.

Comment

Looks & sounds great!

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I just added this to Paprika. I'm looking forward to making it soon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here