Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To pellets or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pellets or not?

My current rig is a Weber Performer, 22" with a SNS, DNG and Party Q and a new Maverick XR50 thermometer. It is head and shoulders above the Masterbilt Electric that I unloaded.

My main beef with the configuration is the limited space for cooking. I can only get a 10-11 lb brisket or three racks of ribs on it. I bought a Hovergrill for it, but my thermometer tells me the upper grate is 50 degrees hotter than lower grate at grate level. The elevation difference is 3". I am reluctant to cook on both grates with that much temp swing.

I am looking seriously at the Camp Chef Woodwind pellet smoker since a friend of mine bought a Pit Boss pellet grill and loves the convenience.

Input would be appreciated. Do I stay with the charcoal rig or move to pellets?

The only thing that will pull me away from pellets is a gas fired Ole Hickory.

When you cook for other folks, be it PBC, Pellets, Kettle w/ SNS, StickBurner, Gas w/ wood chunks, and it is all "off the chain," you realize there are other elements to the cook that will line up and knock it out the park, regardless of the cooker.

Comment

Keep the coals of course, and add a pellet cooker. I LOVE my Rec Tec Stampede. That thing is in constant use it seems. The larger hopper, and the WiFi is crazy good.

recteq high quality smokers and grills with WiFi technology will have you spend less time guessing and more time enjoying your grill.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        That Rec Tec is a beauty!

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Going to buy the Stampede in the next few days

I vote for both as well. For set and forget cooking convenience you can’t beat a pellet grill. If you’re like me you will find a much lessor smoke profile so I also find myself returning to wood and charcoal when I want a deeper smokey result.

Comment

I use my pit boss at least once a week it’s been a great grill for the money

Comment

Both I have the Weber gas ,Pit Barrel and a Grilla Grill. They all get used. The propane for convenience and searing, the Pit Barrel for a great smoke flavor and the Grilla but a balance between the both

Comment

While your thinking you might look into a cabinet smoker. There are several on the market and with a fan/temp controller system of your choice, they are essentially set and forget. They use charcoal with wood chunks for flavoring. From what I have seen they are not commonly used on AR. They come in all sizes.

Comment

If you have the room, go with both. Also, I recommend that you have a look at the Grilla Grills Silverbac before making your final decision.

Comment

I would vote "To Pellet". I have a WSM and a Weber Genesis, which are both important for their particular functions. But my RecTec Bull has become the workhorse of my backyard because of its ease of use.

Comment

Love my traeger
                  Attached Files

Comment

I vote for both. Love my pellet rig and it is my go to as it is easy to use, however, I also enjoy using my charcoal and gas cookers too.

Comment

• Bumby
                      Bumby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How is your Yoder? I almost got that...

• Sweaty Paul
                      Sweaty Paul commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bumby I love my Yoder. It’s a tank and very accurate. Mine doesn’t burn a ton of pellets and it gives good smoke flavor without overwhelming the meat.

If you got room, definitely both.

Comment

Have you ever tasted anything cooked with pellets? I personally love it, but it can be a "milder" smoke flavor than other methods. If you can, you should do a taste test. Or just do like everyone says and have both!

Comment

The Woodwind is a great pellet cooker. You can get it with or without the Sear Station. If you enjoy using your Performer, you should consider keeping it as well as getting a pellet cooker. The set up you have, will always be a better steak cooker than any pellet grill. I personally have a high end gasser and high end pellet grill. When the wife asked why I need two cookers, I told her it is the same in her kitchen, why does she have more than one pot.....

Comment

I have two gassers, weber/sns, pellet cooker and a PBC. In my experience and for my tastes, my pellet cooker works well as a convenient pellet grill but no so much as a smoker since there is only smoke during the heat cycles. If capacity and true smoke is the goal stick with charcoal and look at the PBC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here