Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

New Bowie Prime Plus Owner..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpe616
    Club Member
    • Feb 2020
    • Pittsburgh, Pa.

New Bowie Prime Plus Owner..

I finally moved up from a straight electric Masterbuilt 30inch electric smoker to a GMG Bowie and I LOVE it so far.

There is something about actually having some material burning to cook your food with that adds a whole extra dimension to the taste. We have two special needs kids that live with us, so I needed something that would not take a huge amount of tending during a cook. I looked at Traeger, Camp Chef and Green Mountain when researching pellets and and of those three, the GMG seemed to offer the most features and bang for your buck.

Last weekend, I broke it in with a cook for the neighbors (by dropping off on their porches) and so that we didnt have to cook for dinner this week. 6 racks of babyback ribs, 12 sirloin steaks, 8 boneless chicken breasts and an 18 pound brisket to finish off the weekend.

I felt that the ribs weren't quite as fall off the bone tender as I would have liked, but everyone loved the flavor (using the Memphis Dust). I did a 2-2-1 timing on the cook and they were really moist, but just a bit too chewy for my tastes. Maybe try the 3-2-1 for the babybacks next time instead?

Pulled the steaks at 130 IT and let them sit for a few minutes before serving and they just cut like butter. Everyone raved about them. The chicken was good... came out a nice carmel color, while still being very moist. It was too dark to get any good pics of these items when they were done and being served. Not to mention I was a bit busy at that time.

Then the brisket went on for a nice overnight cook at 225. I have never had that nice of a bark on a brisket before. I know that a smoke ring doesnt equate to how good a brisket is going to be, but I was still tickled to FINALLY see traces of a smoke ring when I cut into the brisket after it was pulled and rested. Nice and moist, no Texas crutch used, just let it go to temp.

I just loved the smoky flavor that everything had. I was using Hickory pellets.

Already looking forward to next summer to break in the pizza oven attachment having a build your own pizza party.
    Attached Files
  • bbqLuv
    Club Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Milwaukie, OR

GMG, heard good things about them. your pictures say more.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      Club Member
      • Sep 2015
      • Colorado
      • > Weber Genesis EP-330
        > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
        > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
        > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
        > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
        to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
        > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
        > Thermoworks Smoke
        > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
        > Thermoworks Thermapen
        > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
        > Anova sous vide circulator
        > Searzall torch
        > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

Originally posted by Jpe616 View Post
      I felt that the ribs weren't quite as fall off the bone tender as I would have liked, but everyone loved the flavor (using the Memphis Dust). I did a 2-2-1 timing on the cook and they were really moist, but just a bit too chewy for my tastes. Maybe try the 3-2-1 for the babybacks next time instead?
      ... or try this: https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

Comment

• Jpe616
        Jpe616 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, Membranes were pulled off, they were baby backs at 225 for right about 5 hours using the memphis dust. I did wrap in foil mid way through for two hours. when I unwrapped them a LOT of liquefied fat spilled out of the foil from each of them. Everyone loved the flavor and no one complained at all. I just wasn't fully happy. Next time no crutch.
    • tenphases
      Club Member
      • Nov 2016
      • Jersey City NJ
      • Fast Eddy's Cook Shack PG 1000
        Humphrey's Pint with Fireboard + Pit Viper
        Hasty-Bake 256 Gourmet Dual Finish
        Camp Chef DLX pellet pooper/sear burner/jerky rack
        Broil King Keg Kamado
        Charbroil Kamander
        Original Pit Barrel Cooker
        Barrel House Cooker
        Akorn Kamado with cart
        WSM 22 with Flame Boss
        WSM 18.5 with Flame Boss
        Weber Kettle Performer (with Slow n Sear/Drip n Griddle)
        Weber Jumbo Joe
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Weber Q gasser with stand
        Blackstone Griddle 22 with stand and lid
        Blackstone Griddle 36
        Akorn Kamado jr

That all looks terrific, congrats on the cooker. I know a guy who owns a bbq store, he can use any cooker he wants but when he cater he uses his GMG. Have fun!!

Comment

• Jpe616
        Jpe616 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was interesting that where I got it from, every employee in the place has either a Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett GMG. Each of them giving little tips and saying to call them if I have any problems or questions first. I probably could have got by with a Boone, but over the summer I enjoy entertaining and that means cooking up a lot of food.
    • Jfrosty27
      Club Member
      • Mar 2020
      • Muskego, WI
      • Current cookers:
        Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
        Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
        Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
        Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
        Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
        Weber Smokey Joe
        SnS Deluxe
        Vortex
        The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
        Blackstone 17" griddle
        Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
        Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

Nice looking cooker and great looking results with it! Have fun and smoke on!

Comment

• Donw
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017

Congratulations on the new cooker!

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

Congrats on the new cooker and the killer food.

Comment

• Jpe616
            Club Member
            • Feb 2020
            • Pittsburgh, Pa.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the kind words and advice.

Comment

• willxfmr
              Club Member
              • Apr 2017
              • Fondy

That's a nice break in for the new smoker! I'm looking forward to seeing what other yummy morsels you make.

Comment

• JCGrill
                Club Member
                • Mar 2017
                • Minneapolis / St Paul burbs
                • Charcoal - 22" Weber Kettle
                  Gas - Saber
                  Smoker - Green Mountain Daniel Boone
                  Portable - Charbroil Tabletop Propane Grill

I have the original DB. Yours has some nice additions: window on the cover and hopper, front shelf, towel bar on the side table... Wish I had those things.

Comment

• Jpe616
                  Jpe616 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe those options are standard on the Prime Plus models versus the Choice line. I'm getting 0% financing for 12 months, so I figured I might as well get all the bells and whistles I want.
              • HawkerXP
                Club Member
                • Jul 2016
                • Virginia
                • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
                  Thermopops
                  Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
                  Slo n Sear
                  Cold beer

Congrats!

Comment

• zinfella
                  Club Member
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Mesa, Az.

Have you got a pic of those steaks after you took them off the grill at 130˚? What temp did you cook the steaks at?
                  Last edited by zinfella; November 21, 2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Jpe616
                    Club Member
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa.

Originally posted by zinfella View Post
                    Have you got a pic of those steaks after you took them off the grill at 130˚? What temp did you cook the steaks at?
                    Sorry for the delay in responding...

No, I didnt get any photos of the steaks. It was pretty dark when they were being pulled and the natives were a bit restless to eat as they were waiting for a while. Everything that I was cooking started at 225 with the ribs. When I was down to just the steaks and chicken, I bumped it up to just 250 until they came to temperature.

The steaks didnt look like much. Because of the time crunch, there was no sear put on them. They were just pulled to the plate where they sat for a few minutes and were cut for serving. The general appearance was just gray on the outside. I used Kinder's 'The Blend' seasoning liberally on them and I really liked the flavor that imparted.

Comment

• Redwng
                      Charter Member
                      • Oct 2014
                      • St. Cloud, FL

I've had a Rec Tec for 6 years, really love it and I have figured out a way to keep the drip tray clean. I saw you placed your brisket over a tray and I do something similar. Traeger sells various sizes of drip pan liners and I found one that fits my drip tray, on top of that but under the grate (also under the food) I use these disposable pans I get from Amazon. Makes clean up very easy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• rwalters
                        Club Member
                        • Aug 2017
                        • MAK 2 Star -- Blackstone Griddles

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! Food looks awesome :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                        The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                        The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                        The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                        The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                        The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                        We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                        Stylish and Affordable
                        Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                        Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                        Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                        GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                        The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                        This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                        A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                        FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                        Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                        Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order