Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bowie Prime Plus Owner..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bowie Prime Plus Owner..

I finally moved up from a straight electric Masterbuilt 30inch electric smoker to a GMG Bowie and I LOVE it so far.

There is something about actually having some material burning to cook your food with that adds a whole extra dimension to the taste. We have two special needs kids that live with us, so I needed something that would not take a huge amount of tending during a cook. I looked at Traeger, Camp Chef and Green Mountain when researching pellets and and of those three, the GMG seemed to offer the most features and bang for your buck.

Last weekend, I broke it in with a cook for the neighbors (by dropping off on their porches) and so that we didnt have to cook for dinner this week. 6 racks of babyback ribs, 12 sirloin steaks, 8 boneless chicken breasts and an 18 pound brisket to finish off the weekend.

I felt that the ribs weren't quite as fall off the bone tender as I would have liked, but everyone loved the flavor (using the Memphis Dust). I did a 2-2-1 timing on the cook and they were really moist, but just a bit too chewy for my tastes. Maybe try the 3-2-1 for the babybacks next time instead?

Pulled the steaks at 130 IT and let them sit for a few minutes before serving and they just cut like butter. Everyone raved about them. The chicken was good... came out a nice carmel color, while still being very moist. It was too dark to get any good pics of these items when they were done and being served. Not to mention I was a bit busy at that time.

Then the brisket went on for a nice overnight cook at 225. I have never had that nice of a bark on a brisket before. I know that a smoke ring doesnt equate to how good a brisket is going to be, but I was still tickled to FINALLY see traces of a smoke ring when I cut into the brisket after it was pulled and rested. Nice and moist, no Texas crutch used, just let it go to temp.

I just loved the smoky flavor that everything had. I was using Hickory pellets.

Already looking forward to next summer to break in the pizza oven attachment having a build your own pizza party.
    Attached Files

GMG, heard good things about them. your pictures say more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jpe616 View Post
      I felt that the ribs weren't quite as fall off the bone tender as I would have liked, but everyone loved the flavor (using the Memphis Dust). I did a 2-2-1 timing on the cook and they were really moist, but just a bit too chewy for my tastes. Maybe try the 3-2-1 for the babybacks next time instead?
      ... or try this: https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

Comment

• Jpe616
        Jpe616 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, Membranes were pulled off, they were baby backs at 225 for right about 5 hours using the memphis dust. I did wrap in foil mid way through for two hours. when I unwrapped them a LOT of liquefied fat spilled out of the foil from each of them. Everyone loved the flavor and no one complained at all. I just wasn't fully happy. Next time no crutch.

That all looks terrific, congrats on the cooker. I know a guy who owns a bbq store, he can use any cooker he wants but when he cater he uses his GMG. Have fun!!

Comment

• Jpe616
        Jpe616 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was interesting that where I got it from, every employee in the place has either a Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett GMG. Each of them giving little tips and saying to call them if I have any problems or questions first. I probably could have got by with a Boone, but over the summer I enjoy entertaining and that means cooking up a lot of food.

Nice looking cooker and great looking results with it! Have fun and smoke on!

Comment

Congratulations on the new cooker!

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker and the killer food.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the kind words and advice.

Comment

That's a nice break in for the new smoker! I'm looking forward to seeing what other yummy morsels you make.

Comment

I have the original DB. Yours has some nice additions: window on the cover and hopper, front shelf, towel bar on the side table... Wish I had those things.

Comment

• Jpe616
                  Jpe616 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe those options are standard on the Prime Plus models versus the Choice line. I'm getting 0% financing for 12 months, so I figured I might as well get all the bells and whistles I want.

Congrats!

Comment

Have you got a pic of those steaks after you took them off the grill at 130Ëš? What temp did you cook the steaks at?
                  Last edited by zinfella; November 21, 2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zinfella View Post
                    Have you got a pic of those steaks after you took them off the grill at 130Ëš? What temp did you cook the steaks at?
                    Sorry for the delay in responding...

No, I didnt get any photos of the steaks. It was pretty dark when they were being pulled and the natives were a bit restless to eat as they were waiting for a while. Everything that I was cooking started at 225 with the ribs. When I was down to just the steaks and chicken, I bumped it up to just 250 until they came to temperature.

The steaks didnt look like much. Because of the time crunch, there was no sear put on them. They were just pulled to the plate where they sat for a few minutes and were cut for serving. The general appearance was just gray on the outside. I used Kinder's 'The Blend' seasoning liberally on them and I really liked the flavor that imparted.

Comment

I've had a Rec Tec for 6 years, really love it and I have figured out a way to keep the drip tray clean. I saw you placed your brisket over a tray and I do something similar. Traeger sells various sizes of drip pan liners and I found one that fits my drip tray, on top of that but under the grate (also under the food) I use these disposable pans I get from Amazon. Makes clean up very easy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! Food looks awesome :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here