Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wash or switch your tongs when grilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wash or switch your tongs when grilling?

I have about 10 sets of identical tongs hanging in my outdoor kitchen. I'll either wash the tongs after the flip or I'll toss them into the bus tray and grab a fresh set of tongs. What about you?

NOTE: If you wash or switch answer wash and/or switch regardless of if you do it before or after the flip. Also, if you otherwise sanitize (like using heat) select wash.
    Nope
    43.55%
    Wash
    46.77%
    Switch
    19.35%
    Last edited by Attjack; September 3, 2021, 03:12 PM.

Not after the flip. I do wash or switch after using them to put the raw/marinated food onto the grill initially (especially chicken).

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll rinse after pulling meat from the marinade and then wash or switch after the flip. I would say you are in the wash or switch camp given that you do wash or switch even if you don't do it after the flip.
      Last edited by Attjack; September 3, 2021, 03:06 PM.

should you switch out your tongs when grilling?

Comment

I'll heat them over the coals to kill the germs

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's washing with fire.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t heat em cuz then they’re to hot to lick em.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I rarely ever use tongs to place raw product, jus gloved hands... if'n I do, they go in th sink.
        Otherwise, Sterilize in direct heat, when needed...

I guess I asked this question wrong. So far nearly everyone selecting "Nope" does not use potentially contaminated tongs without addressing the risk one way or another.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I answered nope. And I honestly have never even thought about washing, rinsing, burning, etc my tongs during the cook. So, now you have one person whose totally not dealing with the food risk. I’d hang my head in shame, but then I couldn’t see the meat to flip it.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I've forgotten until my tongs were flipping the chicken on several occasions and never got sick. I would imagine the risk is relatively low.

I also wash with fire
      Last edited by ssandy_561; September 3, 2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I use a different pair in the kitchen to remove food from either the marinade or sous vide bag (although that one probably is not risky "bug" wise) than the one I use on my grill. I rarely use tongs on my smoker, instead preferring heat resistant rubber gloves or nitrile gloves over cotton gloves, disposing of the nitrile after every use. So, tongs outside on the grill for flipping/handling, then wash after the cook.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          So you take it out of the marinade and set it on a plate and then use another set of tongs to place it on the grill and continue to use those tongs to flip and pull the meat when it's done?

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack Sort of. I usually place it on the grill by hand, but yes, I have used the tongs that I use for flipping/removing to place marinated food on the grill. The tongs I use in the kitchen to remove food from the marinade or transfer to a tray/board to take outside go into the sink. So, guess I’m violating the "rules" about washing/cleaning before using for flipping.

I’ll rinse in hot water only after using them with raw food, spatulas also, then use the same ones for cooking. So when I put burgers on the grill with my spatula, I’ll rinse in hot water, then use the same one for the rest of the cook. I do the same with tongs for chicken or pork.

Comment

I wash, mainly because when I handle something early, it's messy and the tongs will be sitting for a while. Now doing steaks or something, I don't wash, but I do burn off the tip of the tongs between the first flip.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I don't worry much about beef.

I will wash if handling raw protein indoors. Once outside, I use heat.

Comment

I use gloves or bare hands to throw meat on grill. Wash hands. Use clean tongs for flipping, let heat sanitize, and wash when cook complete.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              +2

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              +3

• Rfhd69
              Rfhd69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly the same my friend!

You’re probably lucky if I wash my tongs after the full cook LOL

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Fire works at that point, as well...

I'll switch after messing with raw stuff if poultry is involved ... otherwise, I don't really worry about the tongs too much.

Comment

I’ve got matching sets of red tipped and black tipped tongs in various sizes. Red puts items on the grate, and blacks take over when removing food.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I read about that in the article that gave me the idea to make this poll. Sounds like a great system.

• Spacecase
                Spacecase commented
                Editing a comment
                I do a similar thing with my cutting boards. The red rimmed Oxo cutting boards are for raw meat and the black rimmed are for cooked meat or veggies.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a plastic cutting board I use for raw chicken on one side and raw pork on the other side.

I wash and/or switch, probably more than I really need too. On a long smoke, I usually wash them every time I flip or rearrange food. Figured dirty tongs are going to start growing bacterial hanging on the grill hook. I can’t wait to see fzxdoc ‘s response to this thread.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I do that too sometimes. You got some sticky meat juice on tongs that are going to sit out there for an hour or two before you put them back on your food. So why not rinse them?

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha, glitchy . I have a BBQ Tong Autoclave that I use. JK.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here