Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just received my new M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received my new M1

Some may have seen where I said I was going to be getting an M1 in my intro post, well yesterday it arrived!
    Even though the website said it would be 4 - 6 weeks till it shipped, it shipped on 5/12. So it only took 13 days from placing the order to receiving it and cooking on it! I did have a slight heart attack when the guy was delivering it as he was slanging it around a bit and he had some very...errr... interesting pallet jack methods. Since the whole pallet jack didn't fit on the lift gate he kinda just let the handle end roll off and hang there which left the grill teetering a bit.

Uncrating was interesting as I didn't want to wait for help (I had taken the day off for an appointment and plans to mess with the grill). Hind sight is 20/20 so I definitely could have planned the rolling off part better...I may have a sore back and body now but I managed without the grill getting damaged, which is most important 😁.

After that it was smooth sailing...mostly. It was going into the same spot as my BGE was so I had to move it. Well it is 17 years old and that includes the stand which was a bit rusty. I tried to free up the seized casters, but they wouldn't budge. I was able to pull it to where it was going though, but as soon as I got it in place the rusty stand broke in half and it went tumbling and the hinge and top came off! The base was already cracked and awaiting replacement so it actually saved me some time taking it apart lol. Nothing broke on it except the stand.

First cook turned out awesome! I used the leftover charcoal from inside the fallen egg plus a little extra to do the seasoning process. After about 1.5 - 2hrs I decided it was seasoned enough and added some extra charcoal and some cherry chunks and closed it down to get the temp right. It had taken a while to get up to temp at first, expected given the thick material and the bigger area compared to the large BGE. Once temp stabilized it was pretty easy keeping it where I wanted it (in this case around 250). On the menu was some small pieces of wild Alaskan king salmon (I really lucked out on that one when I went to the store just to find something simple to make, that isn't available very often here) and some jalepeño kielbasa-like sausage. Both turned out well, though the salmon could have used a bit more smoke. Granted I forget how light cherry smoke is.

I can't wait to do some grilling on it and some more serious smoking. I need to get some wood to use for stick burning, which I was planning on doing before the grill arrived but it got here "too quick" 😁.

P.s. please ignore my bites off the salmon, I couldn't resist...
    Attached Files

Congrats on the new cooker. It looks great.

Comment

Regal and sexy. Doesn't get much better then that. Good luck with the new grill. I love mine

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Dang, that thing is slick!!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Sweet lookin’ machine !!!
              Enjoy

Comment

Let the Fun Begin.

Comment

What a beautiful machine hope the shine stays for you! I have grid iron I ordered it in Black cherry and have been using Meguiars deep crystal auto polish the shine has lasted over the past year just great! Take pride be proud equipment will last along time! Just realized I really am old!
                  Many Happy Cooks!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Nice Rig! and great presentation on the salmon

Comment

That's a beautiful cooker and congratulations, but when I read the subject line I really thought I was going to see something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1 Garand.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1223982

Comment

• CaptainMike
                            CaptainMike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah, copy that, very clever.

• Purc
                            Purc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I went to a semi military school from 7-12th grade and we drilled and marched with M1s. This picture brought back fond memories of smashed thumbs during inspections!

• CaptainMike
                            CaptainMike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Purc Ah, the 'ol "Garand Thumb" I have experienced the pleasure once myself.

WOOHOO! New cooker day. Can't wait to hear what you think of, and see what you do with it.

Comment

Beautiful cooker! And good story. And great first cook!

Your fallen egg story is why I am fearful of ever moving my kamado from the slab of concrete it has been on since I uncrated it. Thankfully the stand has really good casters, and is stainless steel. I hope you have a table or better stand in store once you put the broken egg back together...

Comment

• drsefu
                              drsefu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oh yeah I am definitely getting a new stand, preferably a nice sturdy stainless steel one with rust proof casters!

• Draznnl
                              Draznnl commented
                              Editing a comment
                              For some reason, probably my warped mind, the whole broken egg saga has made me think of drsefu as Humpty Dumpty’s repairman.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here