Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better than Brisket. Better than anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better than Brisket. Better than anything?

Beef Ribs!? So on Sunday I was smoking some beef ribs and having one of those rare days where I was having a terrible time keeping my temperatures mostly flat. They were up, they were down, and I had to constantly attend to things more so than usual.

Then, my ribs which normally take about 5 hours or so to hit 203 degrees took about 7 hours instead, two hours longer than usual. So it was more work than usual over a longer period of time than usual.....and it was worth it!

I've made a lot of BBQ and like most of us am always trying to improve. Surprisingly, these ribs came out better than literally anything I can ever remember cooking or trying anywhere. I'm a Carolina Style pulled pork and Texas brisket kind of guy, but on this day, and every day since, I'm a Beef Rib Guy. I can hardly wait to make some more!

Rub was salt and pepper, about 40/60 but more pepper than I usually use for brisket. Kosher Salt, 16 grain pepper. Dry brined with only salt for 24 Hours, and added pepper right before they went on the smoker. Used tobacco sauce so the rub would stick. Temps averaged around 260 but you can see in the graph were keeping me busy. Sprayed every hour after 2 with Apple Cider Vinegar.

Bark was amazing, smoke ring wasn't (but I didn't care after tasking them!), I feel kinda guilty I couldn't share these with everyone. May be my best ever

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.png
Views:	132
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	383064
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	114
Size:	781.5 KB
ID:	383067Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 3.png
Views:	123
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	383065Click image for larger version

Name:	BeefRibs copy.png
Views:	131
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	383066

Attached Files

Beautimous!

Comment

Oh my those look great!

Comment

Beautiful. Beef ribs are my ultimate low and slow, actually :-)

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I'm with you - Beef Ribs are my absolute fav. Those look terrific. Great job!

Comment

MONEY!!!!! Dude they look awesome.

Dino ribs are definitely one of my favorites as well. Just started cooking them a few months ago. And yeah they are killer.

Great job brother.
              I'm partial to adding granulated garlic to mine. How can you not love garlic.

What did you cook them on??

Comment

Man - I have got to find a source for ribs...

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                I went there many years ago and didn't go back. I might give them a try. The Boneyard is close, but the quality varies greatly - even within the same grade.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                The Butcher at Bon Air wrote me back about ribs: "We will have some beef chuck short ribs in and he coming weeks (waiting on a little cooler weather. They come in 10-12 inch long and we usually cut into 2" blocks. Remember these are from the chuck. These are not beef ribs like off a prime rib. Hope that helps!"

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                To what tbob4 said, also mention plate short ribs and the butcher should get the hint.

Steve B the only thing I do to my Dino ribs is a salt marinade for a few hours and then coarse ground black pepper and granulated garlic in equal parts. It’s my "secret" rub. I already told Mr. Bones not to spill the beans. Apparently, now I have to swear you to secrecy too

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Im kgonna bottle it and not call it the "Beef Rub Club." 🤔🤔🤔

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet you’d make a fortune

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Add some sumac to that and you actually have a secret. And I might have to kill folks since I've told.

When I popped this thread I immediately tapped on the pic & stared, OMG came to mind. Job well done!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Gonna be stopping in to the butcher shop tomorrow to grab a plate or three of Dino ribs

Nice looking ribs. Beef ribs are a favorite

Comment

Bone-In Beef Short Ribs....the #FerrariofBarbecueMeats

Great work!

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I read that as "the farrier of bbq meats" and it didn't sound appetizing at all.

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "The Farrier of Barbecue Meats" isn't as catchy as "Bishop of BBQ"

Nothing short of amazing!! Love those photos too, just incredible! Way to go!

Comment

Man! those look fantastic. Since I'm only 10 mins away from you, the next time you're feeling guilty just send me a PM and I'll come right down.

Comment

Love the beef ribs - great job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here