Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shirley Patio Cabinet Model 24"x42" with Warming Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is pretty impressive!

Comment

Beefchop Simply WOW! Please share your first cook with us. I'm very interested in your initial experiences.

Comment

Something that big needs a name! Beefchop

Comment

Interesting to see cabinet doors on a tube style reverse flow smoker. Definitely increase the capacity of the cooking chamber, but not sure how it might change the air flow. Can't wait to see the results. Congrats!

Comment

Beefchop we want pics of that beast in action.

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll get 'em. LOL. I waited so long for it that I forgot to time it so I had wood ready for the day it arrived.

Sweet...👍 That was a serious MCS move. Pulling that trigger knowing you have to wait a whole year.🙈 Man that's a real commitment.👌

At my age I don't take more than 3 shirts to the dry cleaner at a time and I never buy green bananas.😆
            Last edited by Breadhead; July 21, 2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny. This was a 40th birthday present to myself so i figured it would give me a reason to live another 40 years for (I'll see if I can cook it into the ground). ; )

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm... in 25 years you'll give it to one of your kids because you won't want to stay up all night to feed logs to that beast.😴

That is one Beautiful hunk of Heavy Metal!!!!
            One of the nicest, an' most versatile cookers I've ever seen, an', OH!!!! Those Welds!!!!!
            Congrats!

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I get to season it this weekend... : )

I have no ideal why people thinks if you have a stickburner you have to stay up all night. Mine burns logs just as good during the day as it does at night.

Comment

• edible hen
              edible hen commented
              Editing a comment
              275 is the recommended temperature for running a stickburner, according to Meathead. In stickburner terms, that's low and slow.

Here's everything you need to know about smoking meat with wood logs, including working with different styles of barbecue pits and wood ovens and using different types of wood logs.

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              My Lang likes to run at 250 F

• edible hen
              edible hen commented
              Editing a comment
              My Yoder sweet spot is around 260 DWCowles. As long as I'm running clean, I don't try to dial it in. I'll open the firebox door if I drift into the 290s and close it if I drop into the 230s.

I Smoked everything at 225-250 and still have it done in 10-11 hrs with a nice bark I might add. So I can fire the stickburner up at 5am and put the meat on at 6am everyone will be enjoying their food around 6pm. Didn't stay up all night only have to get up early but I'm up at 5 am most of the time anyways.

Comment

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              Remember there also is a big difference in airflow between a kamado and a stick burner so the kamado will take longer and bark won't be as thick.

• edible hen
              edible hen commented
              Editing a comment
              You're talking about 2 different temps Breadhead. You won't have a butt or brisket done in 10 hours @225; trying @275 may yield a completely different result.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              DWCowles ... "Only difference that I have notice when not wrapping is the bark is rock hard and the meat is dryer." That's what happens when you cook at 250/275°.

PBCDad I just purchased the Flame Boss 300 for my Kamado Joe Big Joe and when I get home next week I'm going to do a no wrap cook with a pork butt and see what happens.

Comment

DWCowles ... I'm not denigrating stickburner's because they cook hotter than my Kamado. I'm not saying my way is better than yours or my cooker is better than yours. I'm not saying crutching is bad. I'm not saying powering through the stall is bad.

What I am saying is I like smoking ALL big hunks of meat at 225°. I prefer to slow everything down as much as possible, within reason. I prefer not to crutch. I prefer not to power through the stall. I prefer to use all of the modern day technology to do the vast majority of the work for me!!!

If I want to let my cooker cook while I go to work, sleep or go play a 5/6 hour round of golf instead of feeding the beast every half hour that's my prerogative.

If you want to feed your beast every half hour, and speed everything up as much as possible, within reason, I get that, I do not say that's foolish. It's just a totally different way of smoking large hunks of meat!

Some people have claimed that Kamado's aren't REALLY smokers but I'll guarantee you that I can apply so much smoke flavor to a large hunk of meat that... you will spit it out!

So... let's after a couple of years of debating/arguing this exact point, call a truce, and say we just have 2 completely different ways of smoking large hunks of meat. That's not a bad thing.🤗

You get large hunks of meat done that taste really really good in 10 or 11 hours. Those same exact hunks of meat will take me 14 to 16 hours and mine also taste really good. Notice I didn't say really, really good🤗 I'm trying to give you something here. I'm working with you.

The diiference in our cooks that drew me into buying my equipment vs yours... even though you got your cook done in 10 or 11 hours, you have spent 10 times more man hours tending your cooker than I have.

I admire the passion that stickburner dudes have. I click on Ernest 's KBQ thread daily just to see what you guys are up too. Am I ever going to buy a cooker that requires that much effort? Not a chance in hell!!!
              Last edited by Breadhead; July 21, 2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

edible hen ... "You're talking about 2 different temps Breadhead. You won't have a butt or brisket done in 10 hours @225; trying @275 may yield a completely different result."

Exactly... low and slow is my preference. If you turn the heat up by 22.22% you have a totally different cook. The 50° difference in cooking temperature will dry your meat out more, no?

Comment

• edible hen
                  edible hen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really. If that was the case, cooking chicken at 350+ would ensure a dry bird.

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly what edible hen said. Heat of the fire per se doesn't have much to do with how juicy the meat ends up as long as the meat is cooked to the proper internal temp.

I'm not arguing with you either Breadhead you have your opinion and I have mine. I choose to feed my stickburner every 30-45 mins because it's fun and I'm the one managing the fire. Yes I do get lazy once in a while that's the reason I have the RecTec 680 and I just purchased the Flame Boss 300 for the Kamado Joe BJ so I can make it a set it and forget it cooker.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "I'm not arguing with you either Breadhead" ok... we have a truce then, right?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Breadhead 👍

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles ... 👍👍, now we're brothers!

LOL...No need to argue! Check out this quick vid of me seasoning my new baby. For all y'all who are thinking you need one temperature zone consider the Shirley with the warming cabinet and damper. I'm drafting through the warming box and the main chamber is hovering at 250 across the grate while the warming box is 225. Best of both worlds. Took me about 30 minutes to get to temp and has been holding steady for 2 hours with little maintenance. Hasn't required any vent adjustments, just an occasional snack of wood/fuel.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can't wait til you put some meat in that beast and I bet you can't wait either.

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles you know it!!!!

Dipping my toes into the water...did a quick cook last weekend to season the inside with a little fat and smoke.
                Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you like that cooker so far Beefchop

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles I love it! I'm hooked on cooking with wood. The reverse flow design places a solid plate below the lower grate and your drippings hit that hot plate and sizzle. Adds another dimension. Temps hold steady. Impressive.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here