Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebox Door on the Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firebox Door on the Side

I love my Lang 36” but the only gripe I have is the placement of firebox door. Fuel-wise I start with a chimney of coals topped with large wood chunks. As the coals die down I use 1/4 splits the rest of the cook.

That said, getting a chimney of lit coals into a firebox with a side door isn’t easy. I basically “throw” them in using the chimney handle which causes the coals to scatter. Ideally I would have a nice even mound of coals.

Anyone have a technique or work around to make this process easier? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas (Eve)!

You might try dumping the hot coals in a shovel and then transfer to the firebox. Another option would be to make a sheet metal slide so you could dump the coals on the slide where they would slide into the firebox.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL check out my comment Ron

Similar issues with a WSM or a Hasty-Bake (which I have both) when trying to refuel with lit coals ..... two different techniques I use. First is to pour the coals onto a flat shovel and then load them into the cooker. The other is to use the door of the WSM as a slide, so to speak. The third technique, flinging them out of the chimney, I stopped using for the very same problem that you have. You might also get a charcoal rake, and once the coals are in the firebox, you could use the rake to arrange them in a pile.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      You and RonB are clearly on the same page lol. Love the shovel idea and will definitely try that next cook 👍. My original thought was to find a basket that I can tilt or lean out of the firebox but the shovel sounds much easier

I ran into the same issue as ecowper with adding lit coals to my WSM, and I didn't trust the door slide method to not dump coals outside the charcoal basket. Then I remembered I had one of these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	961753

The head is small enough to scoop directly from the chimney starter. The fact that the finish on the head makes it behave like a torch on the first use is either a pro or con, depending on how easily entertained you are.
    Last edited by Steve R.; December 24, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Me being the lazy butthead that I am, I just grabbed the “yard shovel” I keep near the porch and used it.

If you are only using coals in the beginning to start the fire, then why not just pile the unlit coals onto the fire grate and use a starter cube, tumbleweed, etc. to start the fire right in the firebox and bypass the chimney altogether. That's how I start the fire in my homemade tandoor.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      The only option to pile the unlit coals would be to use my hands which I’d like to avoid if possible

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that is a simple answer.

SNS has a charcoal cherry picker that works really well!!

https://snsgrills.com/collections/gr...-cherry-picker

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      This would get the stray charcoal back to the pile.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but why don’t you place the charcoal in the firebox and _then_ light it, when it’s already in place?

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s the actual placing of the coals that’s a challenge. I could glove up and place them in a pile with my hands and use a tumbleweed or starter but that’s a lot of trouble and messy compared to say my kettle or a firebox with a top-side door where you simply dump the chimney. I think dumping the chimney on a shovel makes the most sense at this point

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I see, the shovel seems like an easy solution.

As I wait (im)patiently for my LSG I have given this some thought as well. I have the small Weber chimney and was thinking this might be a good solution. I use it for a bed of coals for splits in my Santa Maria grill and it works well.

Comment

I get dirty hands using a chimney for any smoker!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0293FEB9-A58F-4FBE-AD57-CE564DD7DCFE.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	961863 I’m thinking something like this. It is short but fat. Gives you room to lift and dump but looks like it holds a good amount of charcoal because it is fatter than average. This is from the Walmart site.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post

Name:	0293FEB9-A58F-4FBE-AD57-CE564DD7DCFE.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	961863 I’m thinking something like this. It is short but fat. Gives you room to lift and dump but looks like it holds a good amount of charcoal because it is fatter than average. This is from the Walmart site.
          The best kind

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahaha

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey is that a fat joke. I'm sensitive you know!.

Name:	0E305538-9A1A-45DA-8792-BD3263D0F188.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	961921 A piece of aluminum pipe.

Comment

Pit Barrel Cooker has a small chimney, also.
            Last edited by JimLinebarger; December 24, 2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I loved me some garden spade for placing coal and moving sticks around; I felt like a fireman (on a very small boiler).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/18-in-Ha...E-HD/313184030

Attached Files

Comment

I don’t know how tall your firebox is but how about the char griller chimney where you pull the handle and the coals fall out the bottom?

https://www.chargriller.com/products...-master-carton

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo