Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have only had it for a few days . I seams ok right know .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Aboard!

Comment

Here are some instructions for 3-2-1 Ribs. 3-2-1 is an easy method and is pretty goof proof. It is how I made my first ribs. It will make "Fall off The Bone" ribs due to the wrapping in foil "2" stage. If I wrap I like to add brown sugar and apple juice. Most guys here seek out tug off the bone but for your first time the 3-2-1 method makes great ribs and is easy to do. Try it out a few times then make changes to adjust to your liking.

Electric Smoker 3-2-1 Ribs
      These instructions for smoking pork spareribs and baby back ribs, using the 3-2-1 method, create tender fall off the bone ribs. Cooked in Bradley Smoker

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

​Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit! ​​

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Great advice above, I'm sure ya'll do jus fine! ​​​

Comment

52 was a very good year!
            Smoking opened up a whole new door to BBQ'n.
            Hello from NW Oregon

Comment

I used an electric smoker for ribs for 5 years until recently. Put them on at 225* for 5ish hours and try the bend test as suggested earlier. I would add chips/pellets for the first couple of hours and then let it ride after that. I know there is a lot of talk about the fact that an electric smoker does not actually burn but it provided ribs good enough that my wife never again wanted to order them out.

And welcome from the NW burbs of Chicago.

Comment

Thanks gang . I didn't expect much of a response at first. I am surprised how soon I started getting responses to my first post and how many , cool. Being new to smoking ribs I wasn't' sure what ribs to use. So I went to the local Walmart and purchased Smithfield spare ribs. Wrong. I did the dry brine , then rubbed with homemade Memphis dust , smoked with apple for about 45 minutes pulled them out and wrapped in foil. I put in a little butter and cranberry juice it was all I had . Back in for about a hour and a half. Meat temp about 130. I had to wait for my wife to get home from work ( she works so I can goof off , cool ) so I shut the smoker down and waited for her. When she got home I cranked up the new gas grille and finished ST. Louis style, using sweat baby Rays sauce . Man they taste great ! I am not going to use the spare ribs again. They are just plain lousy . At least the ones I bought were. Weird bones , some were very thick, some were very thin, no uniformity in thickness and I had a terrible time getting the membrane off. They taste great , just tough because of a bad selection in of the meat. I will try to do better . Any suggestions on how to pick better ribs ? Beef or pork. I don't care . I do have a local meat market that has quite good meats . Not just Walmart .
                Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

Plenty people here who have cooked more ribs than me but that cooking time and final temp seem a little short. If they are tough then cook a little longer. I think smithfield ribs are what you get at costco where plenty buy from...either way is massed produced commodity pork which is just fine unless youre looking for an expensive indulgence. Cook longer and look for the bend until they almost breakpoint for doneness, not meat temp. You will figure out your approach to consistently hit your happy point of fall off vs chew soon enough

welcome from nj!!

Comment

You should have seen me try to figure out brisket when I was used to tri-tips. I was really bad mostly due to being impatient and from inexperience.

For ribs, trimming is the key to uniformity and getting rid of those pesky bones. Don’t toss them out - they cook well and make nice snacks. I cut down the side and take off as many as three ribs on the bottom. The membrane is tricky if you haven’t done it before. Take a butter knife at the first bone and pry up. Grab with a paper towel and start pulling backwards. If it rips, start again from where it ripped. Trim the flap on the back off and cook that separately, too. Keep the rack cooking until it bends nicely. Others can tell you what the proper temperature is. I don’t temp my ribs for a number of reasons. Another thing to consider is doneness preference. My wife and daughter like the rib meat to fall off the bone. My son and I like a bite. So I leave theirs wrapped in foil for two hours during the cook. My son and I get only an hour in foil. You are re going to get this right and you will really enjoy it when you do. Don’t give up.

Comment

Never have done ribs to temp...use the bend test. I am not a "wrapper" so cannot speak to that. I am very simplistic with my ribs - dry brine with kosher salt for 24 hours, put the rub on, put them on the smoker for 5ish hours until they pass the bend test, eat them. I don't even put BBQ sauce on them. I put that on the table for those that want to use it. I recently tried St. Louis ribs after always doing Baby Back and although the taste was great my wife was not a fan of the bone-meat structure/feel so we will be going back to the Baby Backs. My problem is finding them that are meaty enough.

Comment

They will be great. Welcome from Alabama. And yes I thought you had that virus also. Glad you do not.

Comment

Well its been a while to get back sorry to busy goofing off during Christmas season .
                          Ok here's the deal. I bought the wrong ribs (duh) to many bones and had a hard time getting the membrane off.. I don't think these are real ribs . I bought Smithfield spare ribs by mistake . I think I need to learn how to read. It said spare ribs on the package . I completely missed it . They turned out great though. I covered them in Memphis dust and smoked to 200 them smeared a bit of Sweet Baby Rays on them , taste great .
                          I also purchase a el-cheepo digital thermometer from Walmart. I never had one before . These things are great !
                          I smoked some cheese in the old Kingsford charcoal grille . Man that is great ! I did cheddar for 2 hours using hickory. Later I .
                          Later I did some mozzarella and Monterey Jack. I took each peace and halved it , then smoked 1 piece of each for 1 hour then finished the other half for another hour . Each is great . But I think the 2 hour piece is just better.

Comment

Hi handymn52 and welcome to the Pit ..... a couple things from what you are describing stand out to me.

First, the ribs you bought are fine. Spare ribs are the ribs on the chest of the pig, closest to the sternum. Spare ribs basically contain parts of the sternum and cartilage connecting to it. Most people prefer Saint Louis Cut (SLC) spare ribs where all of that is trimmed off.

Here is a really good article on how to do that: How to trim spare ribs

Second, I think you want to adjust your cooking ..... the basics of cooking ribs are to get your smoker going somewhere around 225 to 250 and then get the ribs on. For SLC Spare Ribs, they are going to take about 5 hours, give or take. Don't worry too much about the temp of the ribs. Focus on the "bend test" starting around the 5 hour mark.

A couple great resources for cooking ribs

Meathead has the absolute best Ribs recipe: Last Meal Ribs

Troutman has a fantastic primer on cooking ribs: Ribs - Step by Step Primer
                            Last edited by ecowper; January 11, 2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here