Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - Automatic Log Feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ - Automatic Log Feeder?

A fellow that is new to The Pit sent me a private message asking about a way to auto-feed wood to a KBQ C-60.
    I remember reading an old discussion/thread between KBQ and others regarding this.
    Seems like it was on the public side?
    Can't recall...
    -
    Mr. Karau has already given this much thought, so I am hoping he and others will add to this thread.

I TOTALLY get that the pellet smoking machines (AKA Pellet "Poopers") are easy... basically "set and forget" machines.
    They have their place in the user and restaurant market.
    -
    The KBQ is a machine that needs to be fed much like a baby bird... I know this very well as I have my babies that I feed.
    My wife and I take turns feeding my "babies".
    I feed the "babies" for a few hours, then my wife feeds the "babies" for a few hours.
    I get my sleep, she gets her sleep... it works for us.
    -
    An auto-feeder for my "babies" does seem sort of odd after years of feeding them every 25 to 35 minutes or so.
    Some say they enjoy the babysitting, that is is relaxing and they are in "tune" with their KBQ machine.
    I get that and understand that line of thought, really I do.
    -
    Still, the inventor in me knows that I could make a working auto-feeder... if I really wanted to.

Comment

An auto feeder would get me interested in the KBQ, but feeding it every 30 minutes leaves me cold.

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel the same. Sounds like there is a market for such an add on.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely there is.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood. Thanks for your post.

That whole concept is something I've pondered for a long time. If and when he comes up with a way to at least cut the 1/2 hour or so feed times down to something reasonable, he will definitely have my attention. It's the main reason I have no interest in the KBQ.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood. Thanks for your post.

I don't think it is possible with the current set up.

You can have a large stack of logs over the firebox, similar to a hopper. Then the logs fall down into the fire. But then all of the logs will just burn up, in the hopper while in the queue.

Even if you had a auto-feed system feeding the top, from the side, you would still have to manage the coal bed and the log placement. Not every log would roll in perfectly and not every coal bed would be maintained by simply dropping logs in. The coal bed must be managed.

The KBQ already cuts the learning curve by using a thermostat, trying to find a way to auto-feed logs into the firebox, having them all line up the way they should and having a automatic way to manage the coal bed seems to be too much. And kinda takes the soul out of the KBQ. I get the yearning for an auto-feed, but honestly that will kill the fun for me. Half of the experience is playing with the fire. Even if it was offered, I would pass hard on this one.

I think the KBQ would need some serious re-design to make it work. But I am no engineer, so I am sure Bill Karu can find some way to make it work. But again, I would pass on the "upgrade."

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I know guys who like staying up all night tending their cooker. If that is you have fun. For now I’m sticking with my BGE.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree 100%. I love sitting out there shootin' the...you know what...with a couple buddies putting back a couple beers while tending the fire. It has been one of the more enjoyable aspects of the KBQ. The ability to play with the fire, and coal management, but not have the learning and space use of an EOS.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear ya man. That is why the BGE gets the most work! LA Pork Butt

I was going to say that with a log auto feed device that the KBQ would lose the "lid on" advantage. But after further thought, that could be engineered into that auto feed system. But this system would most likely cost as much as the KBQ itself, or more.

Comment

I'm happy tending the temps!

Comment

I like the KBQ design which holds temperatures nicely.
          It is one less thing to worry about.
          -
          For years I used cheap off set smokers, tending the fire to get light blue smoke and trying to keep the temperature steady.
          Never bought an Expensive Off Set (EOS) and now that I have the KBQ's the temperature watch and the careful smoke watch is basically over with and on auto-pilot.
          -
          The only thing left is the firebox feeding as the coal bed is actually monitored by the temperature alarms.
          If any of the coal beds in my units get clogged, the temperature drops on that unit, and an alarm let's me know.
          -
          I run full fireboxes, and feed often so the coal bed does not generally get thin.
          Just remember that open holes in the KBQ's coal tray means the smoke will not be quite as clean if it does not actually go thru hot coals, but as stated...
          Aaron Franklin's brisket bark is built with over-the-fire smoke, period.
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 24, 2018, 06:53 PM. Reason: Added more "stuff"

Comment

Am going to draw up a proto-type feeder.
            I have three mechanical engineers and one master electrical engineer that I work with so lots of "brain power" at my disposal.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I would love to see what you guys come up with! I am sure it will be interesting to follow!

BBQ_Bill - looking forward to the drawings!

Comment

I've never seen the point in automating everything. I may be in a minority, considering this is the technological era, but BBQ is a reward for the work you put in. Like a paycheck. Earn your keep! If you buy a KBQ, feed the darn thing a small log every 25 minutes it won't kill ya. If you don't want to load logs, buy an auto-feed smoker. If you want the best flavor from a device that burns real wood sticks/logs, be prepared to do what it takes to run it.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                JL Smokehouse has two custom built stick-burner smokers that go for 6 hours between wood feeds. He won't buy a "30-minute add" machine even though the KBQ product is better.

I like to tend my cooker .... but the KBQ seems like a bit too much tending. Between 3 and 6 AM when I’m cooking brisket, I do like to snooze and get a few Z’s so I can get up and make the slaw and beans and stuff

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                I do as well, but so does my wife. We take turns feeding the KBQ's and then snoozing for a few hours. It works well for us.

I will get started on the feeder the day after y'all convince the Almighty to make all logs the same size, shape, moisture content, etc.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly!

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. The robot that I designed and built to heat steel billets at work is timer driven, but the billets it heats are "clones". To make a timer type, the wood would need to be processed.

Automation or irritation ?
              As more culinary robots find their way into commercial food prep, one restaurant in San Francisco called Creator is hoping to strike a balance between high tech and the human touch.

Comment

I've always pictured something with a slide more than a drop. Of course if the logs felt like rolling that would be fine. Presort your wood, much like presorting bags of pellets.

It would be an awesome smoker for my dad. It would just take a few cooks to know how many beers before a log addition is in order.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are on the same "track" as one of my ideas.
                  A timer driven feeder for logs is out as explained by KBQ above. Gravity, and "as used/burned" is one of two directions that I am going with this.
                  Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 26, 2018, 08:15 AM. Reason: Grammar edit

• KBQ
                  KBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you get the slide steep enough to overcome friction, it will be steep enough for flame to crawl up the magazine. I already made that mistake for you.

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Understood. Am looking at a stainless door and yes/no sensors.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here