Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugly Drum Smoker Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly Drum Smoker Build

I am in the process of building my Ugly Drum Smoker so I thought I would get some things posted of my progress. I've had some problems uploading pics recently so I'll break this into smaller posts.

The drum.

Food Grade Tan Liner from Craig's List supposedly used by a bee keeper for honey storage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171027_141106.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.22 MB ID:	409719

The plan.

After reading a bunch of build story's on the Inet started sketching out my plan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171112_173016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	409720

When done I hope to have a charcoal basket, ash catcher, two grill grates, a water bowl option, and holes to hold rebar for hanging meat.

Next weekend I hope to burn out the lining so I picked up four or five discarded pallets. I converted one of the pallets to use as a barrel work table top. I removed a few boards, flipped it over and the rails held the barrel in place perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_153032.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	409722

Name:	20171105_131525.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	409723

Comment

Awesome! Have you been t the Big Poppa Smoker website to check on UDS accessories?

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah! Lot's of great stuff on that site and many others as well. I better be careful 'cause of course I want it all!

I like your plan. I hope to see progress photos. Build it and it will smoke!

Comment

I ordered two air intake pipes and a smoke stack from UDSParts.com. I really like the way the teardrop dampers looks so I splurged a little to get them. While I waited for the items to arrive I got to work on the charcoal basket and ash catcher. I wanted the ash catcher to be attached to the basket so I bolted the basket to the bottom of a cheap Anytime/Anywhere table top grill.

The Basket

2 -12" x 24" Expanded Metal pieces from Tractor Supply
        1 Weber Charcoal grate from a Weber 22" Kettle
        1 Anytime Anywhere Table Top Grill
        4 5" Stainless carriage bolts, fender washers and nuts
        6 1" Stainless nuts and bolts for the basket expanded metal top

Name:	20171109_165027.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	409729

Name:	20171109_183311.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	409730

Name:	20171109_182346.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	409731

Comment

Great idea on the Basket\ Ash Pan.

Comment

I wanted to drill the intake holes before I burned the barrel out to allow the best air flow while burning it. I laid out the installation of the air intakes on the barrel. I use a chalk line and tape to mark the line for the intakes, drilled the holes, and attached them to make sure everything fit.

Name:	20171112_104635.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	409742

Name:	20171112_105810.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	409743

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Everything fit and the air intakes look great! I took them back off for the burn next week. This has been a lot of fun so far and now it's all I want to do! Stay tuned if your interested and I'll post more as I go along.

​

​

Comment

Cool build, I will be stayin' tuned, brother!

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a blast too my friend! Can't wait 'til next week. I got an infrared thermometer just to see how hot the barrel gets when I burn it out. I looked into having it sand blasted but no one was interested in a small job like that. So burn it is! Cheaper and a whole lot more fun! Mr. Bones!

Looks awesome so far! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project and your first cook results!

Comment

Thanks for the update! Looks cool.

Comment

Yer pics in response # 9, above, ain't managed to come through, yet...
                      Leastwise, not here...

Comment

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same.

I like the way you have tackled this project! Looking good! Please keep the thread going so we can see the finished cooker.

Comment

Name:	20171112_125909.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	409820

Name:	20171112_132223.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	409821

Comment

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mudkat Great workmanship and fantastic looking. Curious to find out if there is a reason that the intake holes ends are located towards the top of the drum?
                          Last edited by holehogg; November 20, 2017, 09:21 PM.

• Mudkat
                          Mudkat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          holehogg Thanks! I've had too many birthdays to bend down to adjust the air intake. Smile.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here