Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I installed a fan and probe port in my 26"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed a fan and probe port in my 26"

I finally got these installed. I look forward to the next cook on this kettle. It's been a long time.

The port.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_191442.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	841511

The fan.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_150143.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	841510

I installed it between the ash sweeper and the charcoal grate.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_191519.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	841509

Here's my pizza pan drip pan installed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_191718.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	841507

I placed the probe port so the probes are just above the cooking grate.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200503_192701.jpg Views:	11 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	841508
    Last edited by Attjack; May 3, 2020, 11:05 PM.

Will work great. Nice when it starts being windy or rains and your pit temperature barely budges.

Comment

I also added a second handle to the lid. This makes it operate as if the lid were hinged and its now much more easily opened and closed with one hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_205502.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	841551

Name:	20200503_205829.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	841552

Name:	20200503_205843.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	841550

Name:	20200503_205947.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	841549

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure if I ever asked, is that a handle off of a 22 kettle lid? I am installing one of those for sure this spring.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered a replacement handle. I don't recall if it was for the 22 or 26. It came with a heat deflector that I did not use. Richard Chrz

Very Cool. lookin forward to yer further developments, Brother!

Comment

That second lid handle is a great idea. Enjoy your cook.

Kathryn

Comment

What??? Can you come do mine?? I’m just not a tinkerer. Awesome!!!

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            She drilled out real easy. A pilot hole and then a step drill from harbor freight for the ports. The hardest part was commiting to the first hole.

Nice. Hopefully this weekend I can do the mods on my kettle. Got the parts, just need the time.

Comment

Good call. I drilled the holes in my 26" as part of the assembly process right out of the box. I love how there is a lot of room between the ash sweepers and the charcoal grate, so you can put the adapter just about anywhere you want without interference. And I'm probably going to steal that second lid handle idea. Even a small amount of gunk build-up makes it hard to lift the lid straight up like you have to do with only the handle on top.

Comment

That first hole is definitely the hardest. I had put in a blower and added hinges (don't really like the hinges). Where did you get the grommet thingies for where your probes enter the kettle? I have drilled the holes for probes, but it is just a hole.

Comment

This morning I fashioned a DigiQ mount from a binder clip.

Name:	AQ41lP5rK2r9YTU3VoO1RCtf9qwVfyBazLm6s7E0sGwWaJVwQ3zCz0cENI-cxurjvc8JntLuFv_LdYjDDONS7ASVf5eAIU3XHDhwe8pQ0LarJDgNRIviKyQpKVGZ0BYea_aav01rDJwBIR51dYNCBvxeawUb2cg4JhEW4btagFg0KCOOwPba8NCIi5c58ElLA8ZnmaCDVzeZJisJqkMCmmBEktOS7AHtGslT8cr5TcS9JujGvFwqLRBqSNyE5Dk
Views:	471
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	841735

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m not familiar with the Digi Q set up, is that piece of metal on the back side included with the DigiQ or did you attach that some how and then to the clip?

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                barelfly yeah I think it's standard with the DigiQ. But I got mine second hand so I'm not positive. The digiQ has posts on the back that slide into that sheet metal bracket/stand. So I just needed a way to attach the sheet metal bracket to the Weber.
                Last edited by Attjack; May 4, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Genius holder with the clip! I’m off to the garage to see what I can come up with for my Chef Alarm....

Comment

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
                Genius holder with the clip! I’m off to the garage to see what I can come up with for my Chef Alarm....
                What's nice is that the clip also clips onto my Primo XL table. The Primo is the other cooker I will use the DigiQ with so it's nice that it clips to both. It would probably clip to a lot of cookers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hGbpv9kGr4903TlYuI9qDBcHlQfvxyzsBg9ibrIgDGA5Ek-D1z2ef_NSCxTTTVtF-SYjHfhMgHP0pG3BfD_6qU0Me-ma_iTTk7MwdSicslreebDE991hHWY9y0jzMGbaPU2WwJNS6LkSJk_ylBYMVy6NaAsfy7vitzmt99G7nFAJxz4tw_XFjoPfRasGAWm8fk2_m0unm1RdBqcerznu3RQjQGLQ9W-u8NvzZYSJhJaxEtgFWsWEM6jGS5ZnLdY Views:	0 Size:	290.4 KB ID:	841816
                Last edited by Attjack; May 4, 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
                  I also added a second handle to the lid. This makes it operate as if the lid were hinged and its now much more easily opened and closed with one hand.
                  Yep. I did that when I first got my 26" a few years back. One of the cheapest, easiest, and most worthwhile mods to the 26.

BTW, I've done just about the same thing as you with a fan. I bought the BBQube around last Christmas not really realizing the "kettle adapter" was not designed to be used with a "one touch" system. I hunted down a short, stainless, pipe fitting that the hose would attach to and drilled a hole for it. Works great. The only thing it doesn't have is the "hood" to keep ash from falling down into it. I've got to think about how to jury rig something like that. I've done three cooks (all my family are grown and out of the house so I don't do "large" cooks very often these days) with it and rock solid temps within 5 degrees.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not surprised I'm not the only one to add a handle. It's a great upgrade.

I would like to see a pic of your fan port mod. For the ash hood what about the bottom of an aluminum can? Probably one of the mini cans would be best.

Attjack - not the clip style, but now I know why my dad said never throw nuts, bolts and doohickeys away went digging for something to attach the Chef Alarm to the Kettle and found this thing, no idea why I have it, I think its something that goes with a garage door opener, but it worked like a charm with the cotter pin and of course the magnet on the Chef Alarm!

Thanks for the idea to find something to make it work!

Click image for larger version  Name:	768FBAD2-B9FC-46AA-8C02-47FEE84E62E8.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	843216Click image for larger version  Name:	2488CC8F-BC1C-4EB0-9B05-144C0CC52418.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	843217
                  Last edited by barelfly; May 8, 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice! When I was rigging mine I went to rustle up some nuts an bolts and there was an old strike plate for a door in my collection of odds and ends. It was perfect. The plan was washers but the repurposed strike plate was much better.

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! I save all the thing a ma jigs I can too!

Since I have been drooling over a 26" for a while now and having trouble deciding between it and a 22", I have found this to be a great thread! Thanks to all who participated in it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here