Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Original Kettle Premium 2015 (formerly One Touch Gold) Vents & Other Measurements

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to revisit this post today. I have struggled with getting my 22 Weber w SNS to maintain anything above 300 for any length of time. My last batch of charcoal may have gotten damp before I put it into sealed containers (it is dry now). I wonder if this is the cause of the problem. I finished those bags and bought 3 bags yesterday ($9.95 for 14# - yes I missed the big sale) and have them stored properly. I am going to remark the bottom vents today and do a test cook sans food this afternoon. Hopefully the fresh charcoal and remarking will fix the issue.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram - after you have a fire established, damp charcoal dries out very quickly, especially at any temp over 212, so I seriously doubt your problem is damp charcoal.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      It was not damp but had gotten wet(perhaps) and then dried but regardless it is probably my vent positions

Results following SNS lighting instructions for 325 degrees (thermometer about 2" in from the left side of grate opposite SNS) This was following remarking vent positions
    Time Grate Temp Vent Position
    1:26pm 176 TV OPEN BV OPEN
    1:35 279 Moved TV to 1/3 & BV to 1/4
    1:40 297
    1:46 289
    1:48 284 Moved TV to 1/2
    1:53 264 Moved BV to 1/2
    1:58 277
    2:03 275 Moved TV 3/4 and BV just bumped a touch past 1/2
    2:21 280
    2:33 288 I am thinking that at 1 hour in we are finally on the right track but...
    2:38 286 Moved both vents wide open
    3pm 273 Not much charcoal left
    Went in and tested the Maverick probes and my thermopen all within 2 degrees of each other (grate probe and thermopen are even, food probe is 2 degrees less.
    I am thinking I need to just use a full chimney and let the grill get to 325 and then move the bottom vent to 1/2 and top vent to 1/2 and go from there. I don't expect this to be dead on but I need to be able to get above 300 and sustain it for sure.
    Suggestions from the Weber + SNS guru Pit Masters?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you tightened the vents a bit too much. Leave them, especially the bottom one, open more when shooting for 325+.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee. I have a full chimney lit now. When I get to 275 do you suggest I leave the bottom at 3/4 and go top 1/3. Thanks a bunch. I have the low and slow figured out but obviously working on this hot and fast

martybartram Sorry for the delay, I had lots of trouble yesterday getting in here, when I finally did for one comment I lost it and couldn't the rest of the day..... Anyway, yeah, something like that. You'll learn that it's a play it by ear kinda thing. For 325+ with chicken I usually do a 1/2 to 2/3 chimney depending on outside weather. That should get you ~90 min before temps drop and that's usually enough for chicken. You should have no trouble with a full chimney but you can probably learn to get by with less in time.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      no worries, your advice was dead on and I think I am much closer to having it dialed in now. Thanks!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I thought I was the only one who couldn't get on! I am glad it affected the Wheels Too! This will mean Resolution Forthwith? 😙😇😉
      From Fargo ND, Dan

Huskee , Thanks a ton for this post. I just got a 22" Weber Premium after years of doodling with my semi-crippled smokey joe which is nearly 30 years old! The leg holes rusted out on the SJ over 20 years ago, but everything else worked fine so I'd use it propped up on three bricks in a metal trash can lid. I *am* the ultimate cheap skate!. But the wife asked what I wanted for father's day and I said, a 22" weber kettle. She says "what on earth do you need that for???" I says: "I *don't* need it... I *want* it!!!" It makes a great compliment to my pbc and gasser. I cooked loin chops for the inauguration and it was like what you'd get at a Greek Festival! I'd almost forgot how great a charcoal sear was! Your photos and analysis of the vent positioning is invaluable!

Comment

I know I'm late to this conversation but Id like to throw something out. Lower Weber kettle vent position using markings or holes on the ash catcher is dependent on which way you were moving the lever when you made your marks. Like when using a torque wrench you should always go in one direction. If you over shoot your mark (or torque), back it up passed your mark and then bring it to your desired position (or torque) the same direction as when you made your marks.
      On my Performer (2008) going from lower vent full open to my 1/2 vent closed mark and going from lower vent closed to 1/2 open mark is 1/4 of an opening difference on the vent.
      Please forgive me if this was already brought up. Or just confusing.

Comment

I think I've read this post one time before and I can tell you it's very helpful with my new 26-inch Weber premium, I also remember seeing either a video or some pictures on this website from someone, don't remember what the post was where someone used a magic marker to mark the spot where they found the sweet spot for 225 degrees on their kettle, not sure I remember if they recorded the outside temperatures. But doing a couple of dry runs was a good idea, thanks for a great website.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you like!

If you guys just switch to using the top vent for adjustments like Weber intended you don't have to worry about all this stuff!

Comment

My passion for grills had got me to the point where I have started learning and writing about grills. Weber Original Premium 22 kettle [spam link removed by Huskee] is one of the best grills that weber has produced. The bowl shape lifted on three legs enhances the beauty of this grill. It is lightweight. Some of the features are the build quality, hinged cooking grate, heat resistance handle, and all the tools are easily accessible. I would highly recommend checking this grill. The vents are smooth and sleek.

Enjoy this Grill, You will surely love it!!

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        LoL!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve said it before but that banned spammer tag cracks me up. It’s like the writing on your tombstone...

Victorsorensen
        March 15, 2021 - March 15, 2021
        Banned Spammer
        Last edited by Andrrr; March 16, 2021, 07:04 PM.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta love that heat resistance handle, and those sleek vents. Oh and all those tools! Andrrr

I did not read all the comments, but, another thing I have learned over the last two years of cooking on a Weber kettle. Working the vents is all fine and dandy, and I personally think a Weber is set it and forget it (most of the time). You still need to know what a 225, 275, 325, 500, etc degree fire looks like when you build it. You need to build the fire you want, and then fine tune it in adjustments. Or so that is my beliefs so far.

Comment

The gold version was much better then this version

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Why?

I don't know what the record is for bumping forward a post, but this one has a bunch of cob webs on it. With the advent of the Fireboard fan control (as well as others), operating and fine tuning vents is a thing of the past. My vents are either all the way open (hot grilling) or totally closed (everything else). It's somewhat interesting to see the progression of the hobby by going back to these old posts and seeing what was exciting to member in 2014.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thing of the past for those with controllers. Very relevant for those without, present company included

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        I don't know what the record is for bumping forward a post, but this one has a bunch of cob webs on it. With the advent of the Fireboard fan control (as well as others), operating and fine tuning vents is a thing of the past. My vents are either all the way open (hot grilling) or totally closed (everything else). It's somewhat interesting to see the progression of the hobby by going back to these old posts and seeing what was exciting to member in 2014.
        I say some of us don't want no stinking fan!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Then I suggest you watch the latest re-run of Back to the Future !!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here