Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Overdue I cleaned the Bowl of the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Overdue I cleaned the Bowl of the Kettle

I've never cleaned it. But the sweeper was difficult to sweep. I tried a hot burnoff. It worked while it was hot. So, I went to Weber and found a video. There are millions on YouTube but I wanted a simple search. Video attached. I added one step. After scraping with the S.S. brush (I used S.S. pads too), sprayed with Dawn Power Wash and let it sit a few minutes. Then soapy water and elbow grease. I did do more scraping too. End result is clean but not perfect. But the one touch sweeper now goes smoothly with no effort. I also placed the SnS DnG in. I expect it to be a permanent fixture to mitigate drippings. I really only use the Kettle for indirect with the SnS.

EDIT: lapse in memory. Used with the Vortex but I'll remove and use foil with a hole for the heat to focus up through the Vortex.

Last edited by RichieB; May 7, 2024, 03:40 PM.

The glass cleaner is something I haven’t used on the outside before. I do get some build up and then dust collects on it even after being covered. I need to deep clean my kettle, so will give that a try. I need to knock off the carbon build up on my Weber gasser as well, just need to remember to do before I start cooking next time at the lake. That’s when I always see that stuff, when I start cooking!

also, you mentioned the DnG - do you use that in place of foil on the indirect side of the grill? I know that makes a huge difference, for me having foil down (I don’t have a DnG).

Thanks for sharing the video.

Comment

That was my problem, I didn't use anything so the build up.

Comment

What? You’re supposed to clean your grills? Uh Oh. 😳

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          When the one touch sweeper doesn't sweep, yes it's time

The first comment under that video is one I completely identify with.

Comment

Oh hell I figure you have to have at least one of these to round out your bbq experience !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	148
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	1594683

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol thats your pits & spits

All kidding aside, I tried using various brushes when I clean my kettles and they work but it takes some scrubbing. Out of curiously one day, I picked up this simple automotive tool I use to scrap engine gaskets, etc. and found it did a bang up job on kettle baked on grease. This product is Troutman approved

Views:	150
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1594686

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the videos I saw that was similar to what he used. The brush has a scraper and I used it a lot.

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I use. Great little tool.

Instead of the DNG, I use 9x13 disposable pans. Doesn't quite cover the entire indirect area, but does cover the majority of it, and you can pitch it when you're done

Comment

If I cleaned my old Kettle, it would probably fall apart.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Like an old transmission, don’t dare change the fluid

Amazing how easy it is to clean an already clean grill…especially the cooking grate. 🙄

Comment

I always put down a big sheet of tinfoil on the cold side to catch all the drippings, roll edges a bit, and it will catch about everything. I’m definitely in the clean kettle camp. My grates get cleaned with every cook, the inside gets rinsed out with a hose once a month, and once a month I also use a cleaner - wax on the outside,

yes, I know I’m in the minority.
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 7, 2024, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                This is what I was scrolling down to say. I would MUCH rather prevent a mess than clean one up. I don't let anything but ashes ever get below the charcoal grate. Heavy duty foil is my friend.

I bought the DnG when I bought my kettle and I use it all the time. It’s great. I’ve deep cleaned my kettle once since I had it and it was a PITA. The DNG really does help as I haven’t had the need to do that again. I watched one of Chuds videos where he cleaned his Weber kettle and made it look nice and shiny. I tried to make mine look shiny too. Instead it looked meh, and when I reattached the sweeper arms I did it incorrectly and they created whole set of new problems. So……I’m good for now.

Comment

Weber Kettle Club has the way I clean. I also use foil on the charcoal grate. Directs air into the SnS and keeps the bowl clean.

Weber Grill Restoration: Interior and Exterior Kettle Cleaning - Weber Kettle Club

Comment

paint scraper

Views:	86
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1594960

Comment

Self-cleaning ovens are a thing, I can't wait for self-cleaning grills.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here