Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great. Now What?

I'm a Weber kettle guy since '75 and still have that first kettle though I only keep it for the nostalgia I can't let go of since it has since been replaced with a Performer. Then Weber introduced the WSCG and in time I began to accept the sticker shock and was days from just going for it when Adrenaline Barbecue (now SNS Grills) suddenly discontinued the low profile SNS for the WSCG just before introducing their own version of the kettle grill. Curious timing? Maybe not so much. So that killed it for me. No SNS then nope, no Weber WSCG.

Yet MCS persisted and I really tuned into the OJ Bronco when it was introduced which in my mind had some of the same features for a serous fraction of the cost and now the Masterbuilt gravity series is looking really interesting except I'm not keen on having to power a charcoal grill. And now SNS Grills has brought the low profile SNS back. Now what?

So I can't help it. I'm still a kettle guy. I thinking I'll order a low profile SNS and when actually in hand tell myself, ok, there's no excuse so let's go find that WSCG. And hey, it's cheaper (and safer) than a new motorcycle, right? Right?

Right!!
    I like your thinking. Just get it done then. 👍👌

Comment

Do not hesitate. Git er done! And smile whist yer waitin fer delivery!

Comment

The primary demographic for motorcycle accidents is old guys who rode when they were younger, and decide to get back into riding after a long break. Bikes are more powerful, and heavier, and we have the money for those, and our reflexes and situational awareness has eroded. Get the WSGC.
        Last edited by Mosca; June 11, 2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds pretty well thought out.
          The S-460 natural gas w/rotisserie n sear
          Looks mighty tempting. Only$3000.00
          Last edited by Alan Brice; June 11, 2022, 03:41 PM. Reason: Second thoughts.

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, being an old guy I hear you. I quit riding and parked the bike a couple years ago because the situational awareness of other drivers these days is nonexistent with their phone in their face. Still miss it though.

I rode Harley Roadsters and Soft tails for most of my adult life. Sold my last bike about 4 years ago. Started to feel unsafe riding it due to the weight of the bikes and also all the crazy drivers out there. I think it was still cheaper than the BBQ hobby however! MCS is just a different kind of killer

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Mostly the crazy drivers. I lost the desire about 7 years ago. When I got T-Boned in my truck. Had it been a nicer day I was planning on being on my Softail Custom. Would not be here today.
          So yes BBQ is an expensive hobby but it’s way better than what could have been.

I was actually considering selling my Harley and using the proceeds to get a Lone Star Adjustable Charcoal Grill and the LSG pellet cooker. At 66 yrs old, it’s about that time. Really tough to make that step though after riding continuously for 50 years.

I would clear out my Recteq and my Smokin-It electric at a minimum. Maybe more.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I rode a Cushman Eagle as a boy in the 60's. Got back into bikes in my mid 40's and rode bikes(all BMW's) for the next 20 or so years. Talk about accumulating cookers......I bought, rode and sold many a Beemer. Cookers are definitely less expensive and safer. I decided to quite riding due to age related problems primarily reduced reflexes before I got killed or hurt as I got older. Had several friends who rode on into their 80's who ended up dead.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Back when I was riding, I rode 24/7/365 for two years. I was nuts.

So, what's on order?

Comment

Pellet grill is the new Hack, gave it a try and won't go back.

Last edited by bbqLuv; June 11, 2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. No thank you. I gave it try and won't go back. Nothing personal bbqLuv. Just not for me.

It's a whole lot cheaper than a new bike and MCS will eat at you until you get it on order and all on AR will agree.

Because now when you click "Recent Posts" it will appear every third post will be how great the WSCG really is.....do it!

Comment

Sounds to me like you've got your rationalizations down pat................ain't no additional help here.

Comment

I also consider myself a kettle guy, although the only kettle or Weber cooker I currently own is a Smokey Joe. I got a terrible case of Masterbuilt gravity series fever when the 1050 went on sale half price last fall. Then I was forced to buy the OK Joe's Bronco Pro when those were discounted $300 a few weeks ago. They're both awesome cookers. So good that I had no problem parting with my 22" WSM and 26" Weber kettle.

Comment

• cgrover60
                cgrover60 commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I'm glad I don't have the space Steve R,

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                You guys haven't figured out that the solution is having 2 houses that need to be stocked with cookers. So far this year I got the PBC, then since I also needed a barrel cooker at the other house I got the Bronco Pro. And a Fireboard 2. After I didn't place in the wing division last Saturday, and I showed her how nice wings done on a kettle with a vortex looked, she is insisting I need one and it has to be the Weber Performer Premium. I really suspect she's being nice to me because I'm dying.
                Last edited by Bogy; June 20, 2022, 10:13 PM.

10-4, Roger Dodger, I support your decision - flame on!!! 💯🔥🔥🔥❤️🔥🔥🔥🐿

ps please post a pic of your original kettle
              Last edited by MsTwiggy; June 11, 2022, 08:36 PM. Reason: Pics!!!! For the love

Comment

Here you go @MsTwiggy. The '75 kettle with original wood handles and original wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1236026

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like a lot of us old farts, I see your old timer leaks a little too.

• Sid P
                  Sid P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We bought one just like that in 1986, and 5 years ago someone stole it. Broke my heart.

• Alan Brice
                  Alan Brice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She sure is Beautimus!

The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill has the exhaust vent on the top center of the lid, so the S&S isn’t as effective for smoking because you can’t move the vent to the far side.
                Get yourself a Bbq Guru or some other blower because the WSCG already has a hole for it. It’s too easy to smoke on that cooker!

Comment

I still think the SnS does a great job on the WSCGC. I hope you've placed your order for one by now, cgrover60 . Jump right in, the water's fine!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here