Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Snake method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Snake method

I’ve just begun trying out B&B Charcoal and so far I am impressed. It does seem to burn hotter and longer than Kingsford, with less ash. Buying the brightest at Ace hardware.

Yesterday’s effort was two St. Louis racks, flat, with a snake setup on a 22’ Weber stacking the B&B in two rows, with them leaning on each other rather than a third row on top. Daytime temp topped 100 degrees so ambient temp played a part, but I was able to get it to run right around 250. No wrap, just let them go until bend test said good which was around 4.5 hours. I’d say the coals left in the snake would have been good for another 3 hours, maybe longer so I’lol try the same setup for a pork butt.

I’m really loving to learn how to do low & slow on the Weber.

I’m a big fan of B&B briquettes, definitely my preferred brand. I’ve found they don’t burn as hot as Kingsford but they last much longer.

Comment

With a 26" Weber kettle, it's easy. Use the same number of briquettes as you would using Kingsford original briqs in a 22" kettle. I get about twice the burn time with B&B vs KBB.

Comment

IMO B&B Briquettes and Lump are a good bang for the buck.

Comment

bmillin the snake method is a great way to smoke on a kettle, and is what I used to do before I bought a Slow 'N Sear. I've pretty much switched over exclusively to B&B charcoal when I can find it, as like you, I find it to burn much longer than Kingsford charcoal. I've grown to hate the chemical smell from Kingsford when it is first starting in a chimney. I don't get that bad aroma with any other brand of charcoal that I've tried.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea the smell and the smoke. It's like your house is on fire !!! Actually had a neighbor come over one day to make sure there wasn't a fire LOL.

• zinfella
            zinfella commented
            Editing a comment
            Ayuh, BTDT with the neighbors! LOL

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            +3 with the neighbors and kingsford

I’ve use the snake method on my son’s 26” and had no problem doing a 10# Boston Butt at 225.

Comment

In a side by side test of 4 different briquets that I saw online, don't ask me exactly where, because I don't recall, Kingsford Professional burned hotter than Kingsford Original, but didn't last as long. That matches my own non-scientific experience using those 2 different briquets.

So, it's important to say which Kingsford briquets you are comparing B&B to. No, I hsve not used B&B because I'm happy with Kingsford. YMMV

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              "No, I hsve not used B&B because I'm happy with Kingsford." ~ me, right up until I decided to see what all the fuss is about with B&B.

But I still keep Kingsford original around for quick grilling jobs, because I feel like that's a waste of B&B.

Kingsford Pro from Costco is about all I burn anymore. It's cheap. Yea it puts off a lot of smoke during the burnoff (I think it's the gypsum they use for a binder) but it's reliable and predicable for me. I like B&B but not enough to switch. As said YMMV.

Comment

My buddy Dave likes B&B, and he tries everything new, and/or different, as he finds it. This behavior is not restricted to charcoal, or any other fuel, but covers a wide swath of things, edible and otherwise. I am not opposed to change, but need a reason. When I'm satisfied, I DGAFRA about what else is available. I don't wanna get into learning how to use something new to me when I ready gave it covered

I understand that variety is the spice if life, and GW sees to it that I get my share.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                bmillin the snake method is a great way to smoke on a kettle, and is what I used to do before I bought a Slow 'N Sear. I've pretty much switched over exclusively to B&B charcoal when I can find it, as like you, I find it to burn much longer than Kingsford charcoal. I've grown to hate the chemical smell from Kingsford when it is first starting in a chimney. I don't get that bad aroma with any other brand of charcoal that I've tried.
                I can get up to 8 hrs out of 1 fill of the SnS in my Performer using Kingsford Original with a tmp set at 225Ëš-250Ëš, and it's fall'in down easy to refill it for an even longer cook.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've done lots of cooking time tests on a 22" kettle with the SnS and different charcoals. On 1 fill of the SnS cooking at 225, I see 7-8 with KBB, 5-6 with Royal Oak Briquettes, 12+ with Weber briquettes (discontinued), and 10-12 with B&B lump or briquettes. B&B char logs are even longer I imagine, but its hard to fill the SnS with those due to their size.

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would rather not refill charcoal at all. When I can get 16+ hrs at 225°- 250° out of a SnS XL load of B&B, I don't even have to think about it anymore once I get underway. And then there are times I just need to be somewhere else for a period of time that includes that 8 hr mark. There's nothing wrong with sticking to what works, but I'm glad I discovered something that works better for me.

• zinfella
                  zinfella commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Different strokes, etc.

I echo everyone’s comments on B&B. It is a very good value and worth trying out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here