Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Oak - got plenty now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Oak - got plenty now!

I had an enormous red oak removed from my yard. I got the crew to save some of the larger straight limb sections. The trunk was simply to big to handle.

My son and I cut it up and split it this weekend. I think we have enough wood now for our pits! We intend to fill our covered racks and will likely run out of space. We will both be scrambling to figure out how to store the surplus.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a little bbq wood (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	796869
    Last edited by Alphonse; January 27, 2020, 09:44 PM.

A common way around these parts it to set two t-posts and then stack the wood between them. Or between two trees.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Here in south Alabama you need to get it up off the ground and under cover. The termites will eat it up quick if it has ground contact and if it is damp. Our existing racks are treated lumber with shed roofs over them. My new rack will only hold a little over a cord. My son's is the same and it is 1/3 full of pecan and hickory already. You shouldn't stack against trees because carpenter ants will kill the trees that you stack against! We got lots of insects. Guess we'll build more racks!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      IF you want temporary, put in the t-posts, put some treated lumber on the ground, then stack the wood on the lumber. Put a tarp over it for cover. Use it up first and pull up the posts. On the other hand, if you build another shed you'll have to keep it stocked....can't have too much wood, eh?

There is an entire barn dedicated to it out at the ranch. Love using red oak. Cooked beef ribs over some yesterday.

Comment

We built moveable holding racks in the woodlot to hold extra wood we don’t have space for nearer the house.Click image for larger version

Name:	72A13050-7A91-43CB-BB3D-7BD6078D4ED0.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	796874
      Click image for larger version

Name:	D58A8C40-7766-4F63-9B83-86210BCB8095.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	796875

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        that's gangster right there.

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        Chit yeah! Nice rack there.

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are mighty fine!

Good stuff, but takes awhile to season. I have a bunch of of northern red oak on my property, and it's one of my favorites.

Comment

Lucky man. That is great stuff!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here