Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madrone wood vs. Oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madrone wood vs. Oak

I recently have tried using dry madrone wood in my BBQ smoker, (a KBQ) and can report some really good results.. Overall madrone burns very clean and hot, and creates great charcoal and very little ash (it has no bark).

I completed a "taste off" "burn off" comparing smoked chicken legs (salt only) from both madrone and oak.. The oak smelled better than the madrone as it burned, but the madrone legs tasted as good, if not better. A very clean mild "wood" smoke taste.

I encourage anyone out there with access to west coast madrone to give it a ty... smoke on!!!

I have used madrone - both in the fireplace and for cooking. You are 100% on the mark about ash. It is the cleanest wood I have ever used. However, it is also really, really hot. It will make a fireplace glow. For a smoke flavor, I have found it to be non-existent. It is a great winter cooking wood. When humidity levels go up and the other woods starts to get wet (even after seasoning) madrone stays dry. It serves as a fantastic wood to keep other woods burning. It leaves almost no creosote. Manzanita and Madrone are basically the same. One is a scrub and the other a tree. I’m sure CaptainMike has more info on difference between the two. If you are on the West Coast and have access to it, I agree that it should be a wood to play with. Good advice rscurry.

Comment

never even heard of the fella

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        It must be a west coast thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here