Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks, smoldering vs burning, over charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood chunks, smoldering vs burning, over charcoal

Hi guys,

I'm using an offset smoker and placing some wood chunks over the charcoal for flavor, but it burns fast. Some says that the wood chunks should not be burning, but instead, just smoldering. Do you guys have any technique you can share to keep the wood chunks from burning when placing it on the charcoal?

Also, I've read that smoldering produces dirty smoke, but some says smoldering is actually not that bad. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks all!

I mix them in throughout the charcoal. I make it a point to dump the freshly lit coals on top 1 or 2 chunks. Gives me some good clean smoke early on.

Comment

I run several stickburners, often at a time.
      I run wood, vs charcoal, an have it burnin, vs smolderin... small, hot fire, as appropriate to my cook...

I don't throw food into em, til smolderin is over, an fire has commenced, but there are myriad other techniques, opinions, etc., so this is only my own...

Comment

First question is what kind of stick burner are you running? That can determine a lot. Also if you’re using a stick burner why are you not using wood splits? If you use splits you, for the most part, wouldn’t need wood chunks to add flavor.
        I do sometimes add chunks to a cook depending on what I’m cooking and what flavor profile I’m looking for.
        However the taste and texture is very minimal. So really I probably don’t need to do that myself. But it makes me feel like I’m making a difference in my cooks. 🤔

Comment

The main thing is you need "clean" smoke, no matter what cooker you are using. With wood chunks on charcoal, once it gets up to the preferred temperature, I'm usually good to go.

Comment

You want them burning. In order to get clean, sweet smoke you need them to be burning hot.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly.

May be of interest to you: https://genuineideas.com/Assets/imag...%20Blonder.pdf

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here