Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Sizing For Different Smokers and Smokinlicious Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Sizing For Different Smokers and Smokinlicious Details

While this Smokinlicious website is easily the worst-designed site I have seen in decades, they do know wood. A few of the pages only work on desktop including the orders page. I guess they really like phone calls.

I thought it was interesting they recommend a wood block that is 4” by 4” by 6” for the PK. In contrast, I think most here suggest baseball sized or fist sized which is closer to the single filet size which is 3” by 4” by 4”.

Would there be any advantages in going to the larger size or would it be a waste for use in most smokers?

Pricing for single filet is below and includes shipping. You can choose three different types of wood per box. Choices are alder, ash, beech, cherry, hickory, sugar maple, white oak, and red oak.

1/4 cubic foot: $37
    2/3rds cubic foot: $44.86
    1 cubic foot: $55.31

Pricing for wood blocks is $64.24 for 1 cubic foot and includes shipping. You can choose two different types of wood per box.

https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/c...our-equipment/

I am also aware that I last asked about help on wood orders a year ago ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...67#post1106967 ) and have yet to order any wood. I am sorry rickgregory ! To be fair though, my cooking was down like 95% from December to August due to the MIL’s hatred of my food. I am working on getting back to more cooking!

this is where I get my wood from, for my Smokin-it Smoker. Yes, the website is……

but, the wood is great and shipping is quick. I’ve reached out to the company a few times and they are very helpful with answers and selections. Perhaps for your selection, the two per box is only allowed but in the past they have allowed for three selections. But, I order the single filets and use them for my smoker as well as the Weber 22”. I’ll cut them in half at times so I can use multiple woods at times.

but, you should enjoy the wood if you end up ordering. I can’t really help with your PK question, but I do think this a great company to work with.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I can tell the product is amazing and the people are passionate which are pretty much the only reasons I persist in using the website.

I don't know about these guys but I use fruitawood

Smoking wood chunks, and splits. Texas Post oak, plus 20 other varieties of wood for smoking. Always Free Shipping

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      These guys are a lot cheaper and provide moisture levels for their wood to ensure it meets BBQ quality.

Interesting. I emailed them the same question and they actually recommended the smaller double filet size for the PK which is 2” by 2” by 3”.

Comment

Originally posted by IFindZeroBadCooks View Post
      Interesting. I emailed them the same question and they actually recommended the smaller double filet size for the PK which is 2” by 2” by 3”.
      Funny enough I happened to come across this company the other day in my quest to re stock my smoking wood. Maybe a crazy question but for the double filet wood chunks they offer up to 3 different types. I'm only familiar with cherry type wood colour wise, if one were to order a mixed box how could one distinguish one type from another?

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Good question. Maybe barelfly knows?

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        They stamp the box with the variety you select. And it’s also sectioned off so you don’t mix it. You get a post card of sort stating the moisture level of each selection as well. And, what also impressed me, a hand written note thanking you (and recognizing a repeat customer as well).

STEbbq just so you have an idea as well.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly wow. That is much more thoughtful than I expected. Well, I have about one more cook before I need to order more wood../

STEbbq, thanks for posting this, I wasn’t previously aware of this company but am very interested. Not intending to highjack the thread, my supply of oak chunks is running low and I think I’ll go ahead place an order with these guys, which raises a question I’d like to put to the board. Having never specifically purchased white or red oak, but just plain “oak”, would be interested in hearing of any preferences of white versus red, based on experience. My cooks are primarily pork and poultry, not much beef, and this would be chunks for charcoal cookers, not a stick burner.
      Last edited by Jessterr; November 29, 2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding is that Aaron Franklin prefers post oak which is closest to white oak. Red oak is supposed to be sweeter but has shorter burn times.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I use exclusively red oak.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I use white oak mostly. Unless I am doing Santa Maria style tri-tip. Then it’s red oak.

And +1 to what STEbbq said about red oak.

I buy my wood from the outdoors with sweat equity, lol.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have that company around me. Not a lot of forest around Los Angeles. Kudos to you sir!!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Try a cabinant shop. Get their untreated oak, hickory and pecan scraps.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        A cabinet shop. Now there's a good idea. I'll have to check one out.

Here is a thought. I have an offset and KBQ, so I don't do very much smoking on my PK. But having taken Harry Soo's BBQ class in Diamond Bar, he recommends putting the wood on the bottom (or near the bottom) of the charcoal grate and put the light coals on top, not wood on top of the light coals. In that instance, a 2"x2"x 6" strip of wood would work well or two of the 3" splits. Again, just a thought.

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        I was signed up for Harry’s Chicago class in the summer of 2020, but of course it was cancelled. What did you think of it?

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P. I took the class at Harry's home in Diamond Bar, CA. It was a good class, chock full of info, insights, alumni support, etc. He smokes just about completely on WSMs (at least he did back in 2018. He is very hands on and entertaining. Would I take the class again...no. But glad I took it once. His wife is also a big time pitmaster on the KCBQ circuit and speaker.

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        TripleB Thanks. Back then I was a rookie smoking only on an 18" WSM, and even though there’s still plenty he can teach me, it’s no longer a no-brainer for me.

Just curious, do any of you folks heat your house with wood? I can't imagine buying it by the cubic foot but I guess I can see the convenience of it.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        My parent’s do for the most part. They buy by the cord, 3 a year I believe.

I say let your MIL starve if she hates your food..

Comment

bmillin … The current situation….

We all live in different areas with different circumstances…

Heating a house is not necessary but desirous for us…. This fire has been going for three days, round the clock…. I’m an old guy but still hustle our firewood from our family land…

I built the andirons in 1976… and have a duplicate set in my Pit…

I don’t begrudge any other lifestyle that would take away the feeling of this fire… From finding the right trees, cutting, pulling, bucking, splitting and stacking…. All of which requires lifting the wood about 7 times from woods to fireplace…

It’s what people once did before they invented gyms…
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Washblue; December 2, 2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I just had to click the link to the website! MY EYES!!!!

Comment

Closing the loop here:

While the website leaves much to be desired in terms of navigation, the customer service and product is excellent. I ordered the double filets, which are recommended for smokers like the PK300. I picked sugar maple, white oak, and cherry. Shipping was fast and it arrived in 3 days. Pricing is very good as 2/3rds of a cubic

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
              I buy my wood from the outdoors with sweat equity, lol.
              Me as well. I recently moved from the Northeast (Rochester NY) and had lots of hickory and cherry on my property.
              I have a KBQ and inherited a Treager pooper from the owner of the house I moved to in the Northwest (Redding CA).
              To my luck - lots of oak trees. And lots of Manzanita.

Comment

I’m sure I’ve misunderstood something here. At $55.31 per cubic ft I have enough oak and pecan on the home place to buy a new boat and pickup. I’ve got to look into wood sales. The local pecan orchards burn huge piles of the stuff when they trim and clean the orchards. I literally had to hire a front end loader and a truck to haul mine off last year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here