Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you start your charcoal chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you start your charcoal chimney?

A year ago when I began smoking I did a lot of reading. I tried everything they said from rolling newspaper to fire starters from FOGO. They all failed. Then one day I while cleaning my at the time COS with paper towels. I saw the paper towels full of drippings and thought maybe this will work.

Oh yes, the drippings are just enough accelerant to get the paper towels to burning hotter and longer to get the charcoal going .

How do you get your charcoal chimney started?

Propane burner. Works great. 5 min and you are ready to cook Click image for larger version

Name:	3CBD4191-26D9-4FC4-B27D-540803F2C805.jpeg
Views:	1400
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	778703

Comment

Side burner on my gas grill.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the side burner

Crumpled newspaper

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Same. Crumpled newspaper has worked every time for me.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too

Royal Oak tumbleweeds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_104430.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	778711

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Same. They are crazy expensive but super easy and clean.

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, tumbleweeds are my favorite by far. I set a single tumbleweed on my weber smokey joe, light it, and set my chimney of coals over the tumbleweed. Coals ready in 15 minutes. I used to use newspaper but it's very smokey for my close by neighbors and I don't always have some around.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +3 for tumbleweeds. I like em a lot better than the wax cubes.

Small amount of 91% rubbing alcohol in a tuna fish can light it set the chimney on it full of charcoal and no blowing around left over char'd paper.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a nifty idea

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Homemade Sterno can. Love it!

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a prime example of why I am here.
        That is ingenious Thanks. hogdog6
        Last edited by Alan Brice; June 7, 2022, 10:06 AM. Reason: Fix hogdog6 addy.

I use the weber starter cubes after being chastised here for being a dinosaur that still used starter fluid, lol

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here...I have a container full of them. (Yeah, I remove them from the package all at once.)
        A couple friends thought they were pointless/silly...they have since become converts as well.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        For the money/convenience hard to beat the Weber cubes. Although I do like hogdog6 idea of rubbing alcohol in a tuna can.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the cubes to light my outdoor wood burner, just use newspaper for my chimney.

A couple pieces of paper from the local shoppers review

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't believe that they give away charcoal chimney starters for free at the grocery store!

Newspaper, brown packing paper, brown paper bags, lighter cubes (I usually reserve those for lighting a few briquettes in the SNS though), local mailed adds (if it's newsprint and non colored ink - call my superstitious )

Pretty much anything flammable, and all with good results - no odd flavors or failure to light.

Comment

I generally use Weber lighter cubes. I bought a 50 pack of the Quickfire starters a couple months back when someone posted a deal on them and they work great too. Just throw one or two of either of those those below a chimney of charcoal and it lights up without any problems.

Comment

• Jared49
          Jared49 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, what he said about both staters, love ‘em.

Newspaper.

Comment

Weber cubes.

Comment

I use the starter cubes my grocery store carries. They’re biomass cubes...whatever that means.

Comment

newspaper or charcoal bags.

Comment

Although I have to agree that my newspaper ash does make quite a local mess!

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I got sick of the ash.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here