Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal backyard cooks in the WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal backyard cooks in the WSM

Would like to know other backyard Qr's opinions and results using this fuel particularly in their WSM cooks.I had great results on Turkey week(end) maintaining a 325 degree temp for an apple brined fresh whole turkey for three hours but can't get it to level off at low temps (225) for a long pork spare ribs slow cook.After three hours of manipulating the charcoal and wood chunks the temp was always spiking to high.The whole Spare Rib slab is now crutched in butcher's paper and in a 225 degree oven.
    Please share your experience.

Thank you,J

I do not have a WSM anymore. However I have used JD in all my Kamado's. Do not recall any issues holding or maintaining temps in the 225-250°F range.
    Out of all the lump charcoal I can source locally around me its in my top tier of wants when I can get my hands on it.
    I am sure some WSM guys will be along shortly.

Comment

• Jeff J
      Jeff J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I've cooked on WSMs for quite a few years and never had any good luck with lump charcoal. Yes if you want to blast away with high heat that's the way to go, but it burns too unevenly and is hard to control at low temps. My only advice is charcoal and wood chunks buried in those coals. I can dial mine between 225-275* easily that way. I don't believe they were ever designed to cook hot and fast and certainly with lump. That's been my experience anyway, good luck.

Comment

• Jeff J
      Jeff J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Troutman!.

Not a WSM, but used it all summer in my WSCG with excellent results in low-slow and high heat cooking.

Comment

• Jeff J
      Jeff J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!.WSCG?..

• xaugievike
      xaugievike commented
      Editing a comment
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grill (now called Weber Kamado or something like that).

Hi. I used Jealous Devil in a WSM most of this summer, and got good results. It's true that it burns hot, and is sometimes difficult to hold at 225F-250F. I finally got around it by closing down all but one of the lower dampers (I kept the open damper on the opposite side from the top damper), while keeping the upper damper wide open. Then I only used the bottom damper for temperature control. When it's 80% closed, I get 220F-250F. I light my coals using the minian method, so i immediately have a center of hot coals, and the WSM heats up quickly. I let it run for about 30 minutes before putting on the meat - just to make sure it's stabilized at the temperature I want.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jshoresh; December 27, 2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Jeff J
      Jeff J commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice and will try it.I think one of my problems was having to much JD in the ring and not compensating that when the small embers fall through to the bottom they're still very hot and still burn for quite a while.Thank you jshoresh!

Hi Jeff,

I use Jealous Devil in my WSM 22 when I want to cook hotter temps. (with the water pan empty or removed). When I cook at lower temps I use Kingsford and wood chunks. That being said... I have been out of Kingsford and had to use JD instead for lower cooks. I've never had a problem keeping it at 225. 1 full chimney of JD in the ring, then I light 1 of the mini chimneys full of JD and pour it on top. I do fill the water pan about 1" to the top with hot water at the beginning as well.

I have a pretty tight WSM (gasket on lid and base, lava lock door w/ gasket, and 2 therm-works billows running the air). Maybe you're getting some extra air in there and it's causing it to get too hot.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Jealous Devil, If they make pellets I may give them a try.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Jealous Devil? Isn't that redundant?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        ...or an oxymoron ?

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have to check with the redundant department of redundancy.
        But to call it an oxymoron maybe a huge little mistake.

I've been meaning to write about this stuff myself, but I use it in a Kamado Joe classic. I love the stuff. plastic bag with a zip seal and good quality charcoal without a lot of fines. Good price too.
      forgot to add: I cook at 225 on a regular basis with it. no trouble.

Comment

Just ordered another bag. It's actually one of the more economical choices on Amazon for lump charcoal. I've used it for about a year on a BGE and M16 grill and like it a lot. Runs hot, lights relatively easy. Often has a few large pieces and some smaller pieces, but no worse than the BGE lump and burns hotter.

Comment

I have considered going to FOGO lump in my WSM and decided against it. I use it in my Hasty-Bake and it’s fantastic. But in the WSM, I think I’d have trouble with temp control as you did with the JD stuff. On the other hand, KBB and KPro work fantastic. So do Cowboy Briqs, for that matter.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here