Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 20, Winter 2020/2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone’s killing it. And the picture game is strong. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      *queue Wayne's world* We're not worthy, we're not worthy...

Porter Road ribeyes with salt, southwest seasoning and black pepper. Seared then indirect heat. Topped with butter and garlic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210311_165831.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.60 MB ID:	1002524Click image for larger version  Name:	20210311_170804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	1002523Click image for larger version  Name:	20210311_174058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	1002521Click image for larger version  Name:	20210311_174117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1002522

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I never tire of looking at a steak. Period.

Just some bone in chicken breasts.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look plump and juicy!!

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman They were, but they were still chicken. I need to work on getting more flavor into them so I like them. The girls were very happy, that’s what matters.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Try cream cheese stuffed

Leftover birria became a quasi birria torta/Jalisco dip. Rolls were toasted in the oil strained from the consume and topped with avocado and homemade pickled fresno chiles

Click image for larger version

Name:	F56F19F9-B297-4893-BC8D-701019ED62CB.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1002580

Name:	802A190A-9634-4F77-8B5A-347ACF3449AE.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1002579

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great play on the birria theme!!

Smoked a couple things today I bought at local places in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. One is still my favorite meat loaf, even after trying so many recipes, bought this at Festival Foods grocery store. This meat loaf is not good cooked in the oven, but smoked it is fantastic. Store bought is worth checking out! I am not giving up on recipes though. I have tried meat loafs from every store I have been to, and this one takes the cake. The others, not so much.

Name:	meat loaf.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1002598

Then I tried frozen sausage from an Asian market I was just at, really cheap, but don't remember the price. This also turned out really well! I have a recipe to try for an Asian sausage I think will beat this one but this is pretty good and I see sausage in all Asian markets. I don't think you can go wrong at any Asian market, worth trying.

Name:	asian sausage.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1002599

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m still working on mine too. I switched to oatmeal instead of bread or cracker crumbs and like the flavor better, but struggling with it falling apart.

We have a close friend whose mother died last week, (she was 95 and went peacefully in her sleep). I offered to make them a meal, so we took them a roto chix and fixin's last night. I only took one photo and it was the chix just before I pulled it off the grill.

Name:	20210310_182045[1].jpg
Views:	322
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1002607

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I always truss my birds that I put on the roti. I'm happy with the way they come out. I find legs and wings flopping around as the bird spins puts extra strain on the roti motor. They can also get done too quickly and/or burn on the ends.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 - if it works for you, why change...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks marvelous! Also like to see someone else still using the baskets!

Costco USDA Prime flank steak (sold as choice, check the vacuum packs people!). Marinated/sauced in umami bomb. Served with roasted zucchini tossed in chimichurri. Grilled over raised hardwood lump on the Akorn. JKF method, about 9 minutes total.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great advice. I see this all the time. In fact one of my local butchers has the 4 bone racks of Chuck short ribs he labels as choice. The vac pack say prime. I've been buying these for two years and he still hasn't caught on.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfecto!! But where are the tortillas???

I don’t often do a mid-week cook this time of year, but I had this great KC ribeye, looked like it was prime and just had to do it. Front seared, rare, of course! Twice baked potato and my onion sauce. Was excellent!
    Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Coupla days late and no pics, sorry, but smoked ribs and a sirloin tip roast on Weds.
    Changed up/tried a few things on this cook
    No dry brine of any kind on both pieces of meat as opposed to overnight dry brines I had been doing.
    A very light coating of dry rub, even I have to admit I overdid it on the dry rub most cooks.
    I went back to a water filled diffuser after not using a diffuser for ages.
    I did crutch the ribs, another thing I had gotten away from but only for 15-20 mins this cook.
    End of the day the family raved about this cook as one of my best ever.
    Guess the moral of my story is change it up, sometimes if it ain't broke, fix it anyway....

Comment

The one egg omelet.

Name:	kyOrnUu0eInq9HkK1BlOGFKsCtwTwiF2WDJu7e9PBRlj_0HG9cl_NjQr9Gk6YRBWdNDHaQbiacTq0MsB3XXiGcHUxremR87RGic4oaK8ml-7AX4LBitjEFY3fuQ699YsKhE2FBEZu0YIrTyp09ACIV-h63EKwNY3e-dkhL1vwloHP8HknjViICJ_ojhD13X5urLZfODoNq6AIAmrxEIo3dOFewZSyfIdQTN-JBnbARUtOs2kED2vznvnRH3O3Pg
Views:	280
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1002773

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Your food always looks pretty, Attjack You and Ernest take the prize!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I find the better it looks the better it tastes.

Leftovers!

Steak and eggs, yum

Name:	DE410110-BD6D-44A4-9151-B04134790F88.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1002809
      BBQ Chicken sandwich with hot sauce, pickled onions, some peppers, and BBQ sauce. Ignore the dog trying to snatch it

Name:	EE9F9613-037B-469D-A065-28969B05DCA8.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1002808Click image for larger version

Name:	4D047386-8485-4F2C-91E2-E1DCD18DB943.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1002810

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        He has his napkin on. "Come on dad! Give some up!"

Name:	46EF35B2-72F3-460F-9792-AB70B43D170C.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1002852 Sunday’s leftover ribs became last night’s tacos.

Name:	0C6163A4-329A-409A-802D-10515A91A592.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1002853

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I’s likes both ends of the Wibs!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great lookin tacos an ribs, but, I gotsta admit, Dem Beans gots me mezmerized! Rice looks delish, as well! Fine Job, Brother!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mr. Bones. For the last week I’ve been taking a break from keto. Eating as many forbidden foods. Rice beans apples pizza beer. It’s been glorious. Two more days then back on the wagon.
        Last edited by JCBBQ; March 13, 2021, 08:30 AM.

Pecan Pie Brownies from Melissa Clark in the NYT. They're super rich. I loved them. Barbara isn't a big fan of nuts in her food so she was more middle of the road on them.

Name:	PXL_20210312_201950046-01.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	1002926Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210312_222840657-01.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1002927

Comment

• MarkN
        MarkN commented
        Editing a comment
        Pecan Pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I want an icy cold glass of milk..... or a vintage ruby port.....
        I love fudgy brownies. My personal recipe is fudgy. I tweaked an Ina recipe to make it my own. This looks fantastic!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn - I don't think I've had a glass of port since before Palm Too in Manhattan closed. My preference is for a tawny with some age on it (20 year or older) but, in the end, good port is good port, yes?

Impromptu cook at work, I thawed some venison sausage and grilled them. I bought this cheap Wal-Mart special to use at work and it does a good job, especially for $18. And, it is enameled, not painted.

Meathead 's Texas Hot Guts recipe with cheddar, meat used in the sausages is 50% venison and 50% packer brisket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210312_102836.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.23 MB ID:	1002939

Comment

Name:	0B870B1A-3DC9-4F6C-BEE5-4968A705835C.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1002942 Today I did some chuck roast burnt ends via the Malcom Reed recipe. I’ve done these several times before with great success. Tonight not so much. My mistake this time is that I used a new rub that had a ton of salt in it and used too much. I did not dry brine before hand after following a post from this morning about skipping that step if the rub has a lot of salt. I checked the label and saw that it did have a lot so no dry brine. I just was way too heavy handed applying it and the result was just too salty. I took a photo of them going on the pit but they weren’t worthy beyond that.

Anyway, we always want to post our successes but we learn from our failures as well. So that’s my story and I will definitely learn from it! 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not dry brine at all. Just too heavy handed with the rub for small chunks of meat like that. The rub would be great on a big piece of meat like a brisket.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          This one needs some soothing music.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          How disappointing for you, because that meat going in looks great. The thing about rub is that I usually apply it until I get the color I like; if it's got a lot of salt, it can be an overload. That happened to me with one of Jess Pryles' rubs on some ribs. They were practically inedible. Fortunately, you've now got that mistake out of the way. It won't be happening again, I'll bet. That's the way it was for me.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here