Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket cook on the Weber 26" kettle. Lit 8 B&B briquettes around 7:30 am in the dark:Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_072942.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1113138

Buried a couple of chunks of Hickory and one on top: Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_074355.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1113139
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_074712.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1113140

Brisket went on at about 8:20, running between 225 and 250: Dry brined the night before then just added black pepper before putting it on.

Name:	20211016_082120.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1113141

Looking good a couple hours later:

Name:	20211016_102017.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1113142

Wrapped after about 5 hours, tried to crank up the heat to 300. Fought with that, overshot to about 335, finally settled in around 300 for about 2 1/2 hours. Then into a cooler for about an hour and a half. The result was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. No complaints from the neighbors and lots of compliments. Nice and tender but still sliced well. Very tasty.

Name:	20211016_181444.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1113143

Certainly not as easy as on the pellet grill. Next one may be on the pellet grill just to see how they compare. This is just my second brisket. The first one I did on the pellet grill and it was pretty bad. Learned a lot from my mistakes on that one...

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You did a great job. Just look at that smoke ring. Beautiful, that.

Kathryn

Not the greatest photo, but, I saw someone do a board sauce with skirt or flank and fingerlings last week, and loved the idea. So tonight, whipped up a chimichurri-esqe board sauce for flat iron and fingerlings. The flat iron was really good, coming from a ranch near my lake house here in New Mexico. Found this place at a farmers market a few weekends ago and really enjoyed it.

Name:	41EE6DB8-9ABB-4A72-8007-9A09E528296E.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	1113150

Comment

• TWBarbecue
      TWBarbecue commented
      Editing a comment
      Look delicious! Flat Iron is fantastic!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      TWBarbecue, sorry I didn’t mention you as the credit - I couldn’t find the post, but it was wonderful!

• TWBarbecue
      TWBarbecue commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly Oh no worries at all. Wasn't looking credit whatsoever! I’m sure it was an incredible feast! Now I’m hungry! 👊🔥

This was pretty tasty. Bok choy and spicy pork with an Asian pear slaw. I'll definitely make the slaw again since I have a thousand pears on my tree.

Name:	20211020_180409~2_resize_51.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	1113158

Comment

Soup season

Name:	PXL_20211020_213711639~3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1113160

Comment

Side-by-side comparison of two types of sockeye salmon from Sitka Shares. Smoked/grilled over a live oak fire on the Buckaroo. A few grilled scallions and charred shishitos and brown rice to round it out.

I preferred the Bristol Bay sockeye (on the left in the plated photo) and flyingpiglet preferred the Prince William Sound sockeye (on the right).

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211021_023123155.jpg Views:	61 Size:	302.2 KB ID:	1113199
        Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211021_024504608.jpg Views:	61 Size:	198.7 KB ID:	1113200
        Last edited by theroc; October 21, 2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Now this looks good!

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Well that worked out nicely for both to eat your fill!

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw PWS sockeye available on Crowd Cow last night. It caught my eye. This looks wonderful by the way!

Spinach and Cheddar Quiche!!! Easy yet delicious to make for a cool Fall morning. Put in the smoker at 375 for about 40 min.
        Attached Files

Comment

• SammyJ
          SammyJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, Pie crust? (premade?)

• TWBarbecue
          TWBarbecue commented
          Editing a comment
          SammyJ Yep just went with premade this time to keep it simple!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Friend asked me yesterday if I would make him a spinach and feta "quickie" with his never-ending spinach harvest. Your quiche looks really good.
          BTW told him sorry never made a quiche before.

Got a Waguy Brisket Point. Gonna smoke it with cherry wood. Should come out pretty awesome. The marbling looks promising.

Name:	wagyu_brisket.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	1113359

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at all that glorious Wagyu fat!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yessir!!

Brunch?

Name:	PXL_20211021_174552869.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1113382

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh wow. Yeah, I would be more than down with that!

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Bacon and cheese no sides? Heck ya!
          edit: looking closer maybe egg? still heck ya!
          Last edited by ofelles; October 22, 2021, 09:23 AM.

• Dtax
          Dtax commented
          Editing a comment
          looks absolutely amazing!

Fired up the PBC and cooked up this Pork shoulder this weekend. Still love ripping that barrel! (Also the cutting board I used to test out my new branding iron, LOL)

Name:	IMG_3979.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	1113393

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am gonna make another batch of early in the spring. The shop has been converted over for cabinetry, so I have to wait until that money makin' project is all done. Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          As previously stated, if God is Good to me, I got time on my Hands...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your patience, Bones. I know waits suck, but I will make it worth it. I appreciate your understanding. Mr. Bones

The wife made some tacos! Chicken, Valentina, onions, jalapeño, fresh mint chutney sauce, cilantro, and sour cream.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by STEbbq; October 21, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t know if it counts but I liked the colors!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq Oh, yeah! Colors matter. Just ask Attjack As they say, your first experience with most food is with your eyes. (Sometimes it's with your nose, as you smell the food from the other room.)

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Wifey done Damfine, an please, Do Tell Her I done sad so...

One of my Favorites, spatchcock in my Yoder.

i will spare you the Walmart paper plate.

Name:	7BE16B98-4101-4C0B-8DC5-F6D19E36864F.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1113464 Click image for larger version

Name:	C62B9EAF-7C5C-4F30-9BDA-9628C87C9024.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	1113465

Comment

Pan seared some Mahi Mahi in a mixture of seasame oil, garlic butter, thyme, and other, and some oven roasted new potatoes, that were finished with a melted garlic butter, with a bit of thyme, that I put in a squeeze bottle to finish them under a broil, finally then topped with fresh parmesan. Both were really good, but the potatoes were on point, Also baked two loaves today, have two more close to being bench rested, shaped and then put to sleep tonight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8FA13C10-178A-4AB9-92CE-9BD8245DDDC6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.85 MB ID:	1113498
          Click image for larger version  Name:	4744329C-4A00-4D73-ADE0-AC15CB15E46D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	6.27 MB ID:	1113497
          Click image for larger version  Name:	6E877144-1267-4DF8-8458-DE62A14509CC.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	5.65 MB ID:	1113515
          Click image for larger version  Name:	7C48957A-D546-4AA5-9E0E-14AF674C3F5A.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	6.27 MB ID:	1113516
          Click image for larger version  Name:	E6EBDCC5-1F32-4720-9645-D6F4F67553DA.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	517.3 KB ID:	1113514
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 21, 2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• RustyHaines
            RustyHaines commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man you did it again. Absolutely wonderful looking food. Slices of that bread slathered with good homemade butter would prepare me for the rapture ! Your offer of the futon is sounding better with every post !

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper. I hope someday that you get to have 4 slices, or an entire loaf. I have a friend here that lives in Portland up until about 3 years ago, she is on my bread order list in rotation. She gives it a big thumbs up. But, I do not have any experience with sourdough really other then my own baking. To truly compare it.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            The first loaf photo is exquisite!

Did my first cook with the Lemitar chile that a friend sent. Incredible flavor! I stuffed six of them with a cheesy-bacon mix and rolled them into a five pound pork loin. Turned out really well. I will write this up as a recipe.

Name:	2021-10-21 20.13.30.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1113512

Name:	2021-10-21 20.11.53.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1113511

Comment

• Dtax
            Dtax commented
            Editing a comment
            temp on that pork looks perfect to my liking. nice job!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            That has a beautiful sear on it for that center. Way to knock it out of the park!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks perfect!

I roasted an acorn squash and pureed it with a little evoo and salt for the sauce. Then I topped it with roasted delicata squash, goat cheese, hot honey, and walnuts. I will do this again for sure. I actually wanted butternut squash for the sauce but the corner store didn't have any. Next time I'll do it that way.

Name:	20211021_183323~2_resize_31.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1113585
          Last edited by Attjack; October 21, 2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            The photo isn't there - just a blue question mark.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 Damn. I think it's AR.com though not me.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s showing up again. Well worth the wait!

A preamble: If this posts belongs elsewhere in another channel please feel free to relocate

I have been smoking/grilling for years with what I would call good results. Pulled pork, pork rib roasts, chuck, tri-tip, ribs, chicken, turkey, wings, cheese, steaks, Sous Vide . . . I have refined my craft. I have had failures and am thankful for stews, chilis, burritos, omelets, etc. for their assistance ! But I have always been intimidated by brisket. It seemed temperamental to cook and a packer (for me) is quite an investment. So a failure appeared to be potentially expensive stews, chilis, burritos, omelets, etc.

And then I studied up on SVQ for brisket. Thought this made brisket less of a risk and I decided to give it a try. Plus I received a generous gift card for my recent retirement to my favorite meat purveyor (along with one to my local distiller, yes my colleagues know me well !) So I bought a prime packer and started my mission.

After trimming, I separated the flat from the point thinking if I succeeded with the flat I could apply what I learned to the point. Flat was approximately 6 pounds. Pre SV rub was SPG and I threw in 1/2 a chopped white onion. SV at 155 degrees for 30 hours. Post SV was BBR rub, 245-250 degrees for 2+ hours, fat cap down, bringing it back up to 155 and setting a bark. Photos of the result:

Name:	IMG_20211016_181445837.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1113686

Name:	IMG_20211016_182547936.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1113687

Name:	IMG_20211016_182749757.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1113688

I had acceptable bark, the meat was tender, good beef flavor, but it was dry not moist. There was a bit of juicy meat along the fat cap though. It was not outrageously dry, but it sure was not juicy. But I think I know why and I'm hoping my brethren here can weigh in.

For an unexplained reason (brain freeze, senior moment), and contrary to all my previous successful SVQ endeavors, after the ice bath I removed the purge to prepare table jus, and placed the flat on a rack in the fridge uncovered for 2 days before smoking. I am assuming this is when the moisture left the meat. But I am open for information and yes criticism, to help me learn. I still have a wonderful looking point for my next try.

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            The flat will typically be a bit dry. Did you slice it very long before serving? I have better luck with the flat when leaving it attached to the point and leaving a little of the deckle fat in between them. This causes a little rendered fat to run down each slice.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here