Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judged 3rd KCBS Contest Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judged 3rd KCBS Contest Today

I judged my 3rd KCBS contest today, a Backyard event in Alabama. And I really enjoyed it.

The entries were chicken and ribs.

All the chicken entries were excellent. These Backyard cooks nailed bite-thru chicken skin. And it was the nicest looking chicken I've seen yet in 3 Backyard contests.

There was a disqualification (DQ) in ribs, because of a piece of foil on the bottom of an entry. My rib from the same cook also had a bit of foil on the bottom. And BTW, this cook overcooked the ribs to the point of "falling off the bone", and I gave it a low score before we were told by the KCBS rep to DQ it.

Another rib entry had terrible texture because the cook did not remove the membrane. Note to competition cooks: REMOVE THE RIB MEMBRANES, or at least burn them off on a hot grill before submitting them.

One judge at my table counted points off because a chicken entry showed subtle signs of brush marks.

There was a kid's chicken contest held after we were done judging. I wish I could have stayed around for it, but I didn't have time.

Sounds like another fun day.

Comment

TBoneJack, I thoroughly Enjoy Your Posts! 👍👍 Concise and 👍 To The Point! 👍👍.
      🐣🐣 Happy Easter to You and Your's! 🐣🐣
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Sounds like a fun way to spend some time on Saturday!

Comment

I'm judging a pro event in a couple weeks that will include all 4 KCBS meats. That means at least 24 bites of meat. And that's a lot of food in one sitting.

Comment

I have enjoyed the posts, as well. I am excited about you getting to judge a bigger contest. Brush marks on a chicken, though? That's why I don't enter contests. The thought of unknowns - like being judged down for something like a brush mark is why I wouldn't even consider the local comps. Keep up the good work and advice for those in the group who would like to compete. Things like the brush mark are nuances that folks who have the comp aspirations will really appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
              I have enjoyed the posts, as well. I am excited about you getting to judge a bigger contest. Brush marks on a chicken, though? That's why I don't enter contests. The thought of unknowns - like being judged down for something like a brush mark is why I wouldn't even consider the local comps. Keep up the good work and advice for those in the group who would like to compete. Things like the brush mark are nuances that folks who have the comp aspirations will really appreciate.
              Yeah, when the judge mentioned brush marks, I thought that was way too picky.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems that since appearance is one of the judging criteria that little details like brush marks migh be one of the things that will separate 1st place from those farther down the order. Sometimes it just comes down to the nitpicks.

For those who would like to know what a particular judge looks for in chicken, I like to see chicken with a deep mahogany color. I like the sauce to look thin and somewhat carmelized, and a sheen is nice. I don't like the sauce to look thick or runny. I like thighs, and legs with the tendon removed. I like a finish heat. And as much as I've riled against it in some of my previous posts, bite-thru chicken skin makes the eating experience much nicer. I prefer to take just one bite of chicken.

ETA: And visible black pepper particles spread thinly thru the sauce looks nice. And I love the taste of black pepper.
              Last edited by TBoneJack; April 15, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

As long as I can impress me, nobody else's opinions of my foods worry me at all...
                Every cook is a comp, in that regard Trust you me, th' Judge is an uncompromisin' Ba$tard!
                It's always nice when others opinions are superlative, but not too much stock to be placed therein...
                Kinda like playin' Blues guitar in a bar fulla drunks...
                Glad yer enjoyin' th' KCBS events, great knowin' we have an informed judge out there!!!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 15, 2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

As a beer judge, this all rings so true for beer as well. Being a judge is silly at times. Rules are crazy but necessary still. I have often thought that judging food and beer is very close. That goes with chili too. Nuts sometimes. We cant talk until all judge sheets are completed at the table. I think the difference is we have a minimum spread with the scores in beer. Or we usually do... We won't have a newb beer judge sit down and low ball a good beer because he don't know any better certified or not. When 4 experienced judges at a table give a 35, and one gives a 15, there is something wrong. Either he re-assesses his judging, or he won't judge.

Enjoy these stories as well!

But at least we can slip a hundred dollar bill under a beer cap and only the Steward at our table would know...

Comment

Super fun!

Comment

Another great post. I need you to come here and be a guinea pig, i mean judge to find out what i do wrong

Comment

Definitely enjoy your judging posts. Thanks! I'm looking forward to my CBJ class on 5 May. Then the challenge will be finding comps to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by customtrim View Post
                          Another great post. I need you to come here and be a guinea pig, i mean judge to find out what i do wrong
                          I was informed yesterday that a KCBS rep in my area has done just that for competition cooks and judges alike.

A competition cook might want to try 3 different chicken ideas and a couple new brisket twists, and wants certified judges to give their opinion on them. That's happened a few times around here. I'd like to do that sometime, and maybe pick up a few pointers from the cook in the process.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here