Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on the Still New Competition Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on the Still New Competition Rig

I have been cooking on this thing, just trying to get it right! I think I'm closing in on it. I've removed the largest deflector plate entirely. This leaves the pellet-burning fire box completely open (if I want it to be). There's a couple of iron rods that can hold a stainless steel full size pan for water or extra smoke which can go right over the fire box to keep the ash down. I've replaced the heavy cooking grates with lighter unreinforced expanded metal. This way I have complete (and easy) access to the entire cooker if I need to change something. Yoder grates weigh about 12-14 pounds each. Moving when hot was impossible. I have a set of Grill Grates and a Grill Grate Griddle that fit right over the fire box. This is for grilling steaks!

The test will be Friday and Saturday at the Sticky Fingers IBCA contest in Fordyce, Arkansas! Friday is the SCA (Steak Cookoff Association) steak event. I will use Meathead's method for thin steaks. Get pretty grill marks on one side and finish on the griddle on the other.

Saturday morning starts up with Anything But at 11 am. This can be anything but BBQ cooked on the cooker. I'm debating between Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry infusion, garnished with dark choc dipped raspberries and my Asian-inspired shrimp & grits balls.

Half chicken turn in is at 12. I'm definitely pulling the S&G Rub out for this. And -- I'm thinking of hanging the chicken halves. I'm planning on cooking 3 halves (have to turn in 2). Clamp rods together to hang PBC hooked chickens from the top shelf bracket. I will pin skin down to the sides to keep it from shrinking.

1 o'clock pork spare rib turn in. It's IBCA so ribs have to be falling off the bone tender.

I found a 2.5" brisket flat at Walmart the other day. That's going to be my brisket -- it turns in at 2:00.

I will take plenty of photos and I'll post them here before forwarding it on to Yoder to show them what I've done to their cooker! It's good to have a plan!

CandySueQ, It sounds like you are going to be busier than a One Armed Paper Hanger! I need to try to find your recipie for Asian Shrimp and Grits it sounds intriguing! I haven't had Grits since I quit traveling the SE in 1987? Kick Butt and Take Names this Weekend with your New Smoker!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      The Asian is in the sauce. Buddy makes a pork sauce out of sugar, soy sauce and chipotle. I mixed in some vinegar BBQ sauce and a corn starch slurry to thicken. Grill shrimp, red & yellow peppers, mix in sauce pour over grits and serve. Easy

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ, I think even I can fudge your recipe together! Thank You! Good Fortune to You and Your New Rig this Weekend!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Good luck. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Comment

CandySueQ for Anything But I vote for those brownies. They sound AMAZING. I may be prejudiced, since brownies are my kryptonite. :-)

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine too. Actually, I think I'm going to go right down to the wire, do both and decide before turn in! I want to bake in this cooker to see how it performs. I've got this raspberry infused vodka that goes over the top of just baked brownies...not kid stuff!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, you're killing me now. Sheesh, raspberry infused vodka over top of a warm brownie .... OMG

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        You can never go wrong with brownies!

She who fails to plan, plans to fail! Sounds like you've got this Queen Bee... Good luck on all your cooks.👍

Maybe this sweet new cooker will keep your MCS in remission... For a little while.

Comment

Voting for the brownies. I am competing also this weekend. Good luck to both of us.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Luck! Looks like Brownies by majority.

Brownies were mid-pack! 1st place was smoked meatloaf! Should have done stuffed pork... Click image for larger version

Name:	brownies.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	220210

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here