Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition Chicken

Hello Pit Friends,

My Dad, my brother LakeviewBBQ and I are entering our first competition this year, BBQ on the Bow in Calgary, Canada http://bbqonthebow.com/. We have fairly solid rib, brisket and pork butt game plans, but I thought I would ask the Pit for some advice with chicken.

Specifically, what rub and saucing strategies do you use to compete (herb based rub or something more classic BBQ like MMD or BBBR)?Has anyone ever placed high or won in chicken? If so, what approach did you take? Saucing tends to ruin skin texture, so do you enter no sauce? Do you only sauce the bottom and allow the top skin to be crispy?

I am pretty good at getting crispy skin and so its the flavor profile and sauce selection I am most curious about, but if anyone has any other ideas or advice on contest birds please don't be shy.

Yours in Q,
    bbqoaf

Different guys have different methods so I would urge you to do some poking around and see what all is out there.

I am a fan of Malcom Reed's videos and him and his brother are the Killer Hogs team. They seem to do pretty well and have had some success.

This video he walks you through a little bit of his process and also there are some other videos showing the different steps etc... Good Luck!

Comment

Maybe CandySueQ can share some tips with you.

Comment

Here's the AR article. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...n_chicken.html

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I've read that, it's good but it really just puts more questions into my head.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqoaf okay and sorry I am not more help on this I'm not a competition guy.

Go for bite through skin! Legs are winning so don't think you're tied to thighs! Skin is thinner on legs too. I've found a dip in sauce, then hold in a warm cambro for 20-30 minutes, give bite thru skin every time.

I like a spicy chicken with a sweet finish. I have done well (sometimes). Chicken doesn't drive me down like ribs do!

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, much appreciated, I will try finishing with sauce that way.

I'm with you on the sweet/spicy approach, that's why my mind goes to BBBR with a KC style finishing sauce.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that's a good plan! I'm going to be practicing chicken a bunch in the weeks ahead.

Hey bbqoaf what is your team name? A couple of buddies and I just signed up for BBQ on the Bow as well. I promise not to hijack any of your chicken tips

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe it's Lewis & Son's BBQ Corporation, but there was discussion about changing to Goat Man BBQ in homer of a ridiculous ghost story my Dad used to tell us.

What are you cooking the chicken on?

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          22" kettle

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here