Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought experiment: kamado as an offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought experiment: kamado as an offset

I’m not going to do this.

What if you connected a firebox to the bottom vent of a kamado? You could open the top vent wide, burn sticks, and use the ceramic as a heat sink to get even cooking temperature. You could also then take advantage of the entire volume, instead of devoting 60% or more of it to the firebox.

That connection would be tenuous on an existing design. If I were to experiment, I guess I’d use a second hand Akorn. But it sure as heck would solve a big problem with COSs.

I’m thinking the bottom vent is too small for adequate airflow to get to the kamado. But, using the kamado as a chamber for an "offset" is interesting! Just thinking you need a bigger hole at the bottom. Hmmmmm

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct.

Are you going to market it after you build? You could be like Dave did with his SlowNSear. You could buy and inexpensive firebox add on from Char-Griller and fabricate an adapter to the egg.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 23, 2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL no, I’m going to sit on my deck and drink a beer.

I am with the others - I don't think the typical kamado has enough vent at top or bottom to allow the offset to get the airflow it needs for a good fire.

What you need to do is get you some clay, fire up your kiln, and make a true ceramic offset, and let us know how it works out.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Just open the top wide, O-r remove it completely, and remove the screen at the bottom. An OK Joe offset has about the same.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris is right on the money

Didn't Henrik do this several years ago... LOL

Comment

I'd been thinking of trying something like this for cold smoking cheese. Using a longer metal duct to get the smoke from the burn pot into the bottom of the BGE gives it time to cool and for the larger bitter particles to settle out. I just need to drink about it a little more before I try it.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I could swear I saw somebody do this on the BGE forum a bunch of years ago, for cold-smoking.

Originally posted by Chuck in Charlotte View Post
      I'd been thinking of trying something like this for cold smoking cheese. Using a longer metal duct to get the smoke from the burn pot into the bottom of the BGE gives it time to cool and for the larger bitter particles to settle out. I just need to drink about it a little more before I try it.
      But not too much! LOL
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 23, 2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I manufactured something with the same idea in mind the link about my contraption hereunder.
        I did managed to figure out few design faults but never got round to making a new one (I still have my cabinet offset to finish that I have neglected to do for a long time now)
        I haven't used it in quite a while but did a few more cooks after my post while improvising with a few easy adaptions / mods that did make it more user friendly.

What I’m fabricating was born out of my contempt of locally manufactured briquettes and the taste profile I get. There are plenty of people I know that disagree

Comment

The best thing about making a kamado offset aside from increased capacity would be being able to access the fire to refuel or add wood for smoke. When I have both deflectors in my Primo and I'm not getting the smoke I thought I would it's a real pain to remove a cooking great and blazing hot deflector to add a chunk of wood.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking that, and also getting the real wood profile.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here