Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle attachment a working work in progress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle attachment a working work in progress.

What I’m fabricating was born out of my contempt of locally manufactured briquettes and the taste profile I get. There are plenty of people I know that disagree with me but I think they grew up "braaing" using briquettes and know no different.
    Since a young age I have insisted on using wood as my fuel and whenever that was not possible by virtue of being at friends or I could not get any decent wood I always have been disappointed with the outcome.

On acquiring my kettle late last year I was excited about the prospects of learning a new craft but that was short lived thanks to the infamous briquette. I tried various brands of briquettes and charcoal. I found charcoal more acceptable but still not there.

I posted at the time about my dislike of the fuel and heeded a suggestion by Frozen Smoke Smoke to try making a wood fire and feeding the kettle from that. The results were what I was looking for but it was loadsa work and costly.

All of the above were contributory in what I am designing.

I drew a prototype on paper after another frustrating briquette cook, worked out a parts list and sent it in for cutting and bending.
    There was not a great deal of thought given to the design but was confident it will be a starting point to work from. It’s been a couple weeks since I had it welded together as a skeleton to build on and the results have been adequate thus far.

Shown in the photo is the main body without all the other add-ons that don’t necessarily affect my trial.

The dry runs and cooks have been a learning curve and the more I tested the more effective I and the gizmo functioned.
    Learning fire management proved the most beneficial to us both.
    I am now at the point where I am going to make a few adjustments and see how much improvement they will bring. The mod’s I have noted aren’t significant just fine tuning I think.
    I have plans of building a second pilot with different dimensions to compare overall success.

The end product using the offset contraption with the kettle is remarkably better than any briquette or charcoal cook. It is more work but I don’t believe any more than a stick burner.
    I am able to use both bottom and top grate for cooking area. I have only cooked on the top grate to date.
    The kettle is easily lifted off to use as normal.
    Above is just a short analysis of my evaluation.

Today was very challenging, the wind was blowing and temps were lower than during all other testing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190414_221855.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	664630

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2281.jpg Edit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	255.8 KB ID:	664631

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2288.jpg edit.jpg Views:	1 Size:	283.9 KB ID:	664632

Today's cook

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2291.JPG Views:	1 Size:	433.4 KB ID:	664633

Pretty Amazing!

Comment

I like that. Looking good!

Comment

Nice! Impressive way to have a nice stickburner!

Comment

Very interesting, great innovation.

Comment

Cool!

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              No it does get hot.

Patent it now!

Comment

Great concept! Perfect it and you may be on to something here!

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks I intend to do just that.

Nice!

Comment

Does or did this kettle have an ash sweeper?

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not hard at all.

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The kettle just rest on top of the underside of the kettles body with the vent holes in the center of the pipe.

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotcha! Pretty neat!

Great job.

Comment

very nice!

Comment

Oh man, this is great.

Comment

Very cool I look forward to your next prototype.

Comment

Very cool an innovative...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here