Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke pot for my birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke pot for my birthday

My girlfriend got me this 1 quart cast iron smoke pot for my birthday. I'll use it in my Primo XL. She also got me this itty bitty cast iron pot thinking I might use it for salt. Will salt corrode the cast iron?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GIMIGjJ4TTo3UlxiRjbFpc0tiGI00FLrsdoxBYIrSY1gbTOFeElT1HUora3JgXIIaCxvI0TV_uSHPxlc66TiIN35TVee_GP6OtKZqA_FUanqM9jBGKAwQ43aLKsNDd0IY-JOrnKRbkMgTpFbep6owwQKM2gltrOI2Gx2kprSAAOt8svDhcZEG695tXCmtj2mc6RCd-Siuny_6wtV_bpf8vtnwiw3J-ogcUpskzVgUT7T5fjIrEGk1Fox_Uk83MM
Views:	164
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	646834

I like your click bait subject line, tee hee.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't resist!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It got me!!!!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was about to comment on that.. Attjack 😎😆

When I saw the subject line of your thread ... I got a totally different mental picture about "smoke pot" than I think you intended.

I don't think I'd use a cast iron container for salt unless you live in an arid climate. You could look for a glass, plastic, or ceramic container that would fit inside the CI pot and put the salt in that.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed your response and you had the same take on it that I did. I'll figure something out to use it for!

Spinaker can you repost a pic of your hole pattern? I can't find the thread you posted your smoke pot in.

Comment

Is that a retorical question? Guess it depends on what state you live in !!!

Comment

Am I the only non dirty-minded person on the forum? I figured out what he meant...
        Maybe I'm just boring....

Comment

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re not the only one 😊

You'll like your smoke pot. Mine is made from a a Lodge pot just like that. Works great!

Comment

I’ve got to where I enjoy my smoke pot I had to learn to go with the flow chasing the blue smoke

Comment

Saw the title and almost replied: "Welcome to Colorado, neighbor!"

Comment

I think maybe you're all distracted by my thread title. Any knowledge about storing salt in that little cast iron vessel?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Doubtful that you could avoid moisture contamination where you live. Maybe line it with something. Or turn it into a bong.

• Willard
                Willard commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike you’re cracking me up, man 😂

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Pick a color you both like and have it powder coated. It'll store salt outside then.

Salt with any amount of moisture will destroy and unprotected iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
                I think maybe you're all distracted by my thread title. Any knowledge about storing salt in that little cast iron vessel?
                I wouldn't do it. If there was absolutely no chance of moisture, maybe ... but even here in Colorado, we have a little humidity. I'd just re-purpose the little container for sugar or something else ...

Comment

I think IowaGirl addressed the salt question too. Happy birthday - enjoy!

Comment

I a have a small pot just like the one pictured. I drilled the holes in the bottom and use it when I want to add smoke to short cooks.

Comment

Yeah, use it for your stash & not yer salt. Pepper would work.

Comment

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm a fresh pepper only kind of guy. Maybe I'll use it on the grill for compound butter or other small volume sauces.

• Willard
                        Willard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a small Lodge skillet for that purpose. Perfect for a little sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here