Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to try to warranty my Primo XL firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try to warranty my Primo XL firebox

I bought the grill from craigslist, but the guy was really nice and said he would try to help me warranty it if the hairline crack worsened. Wish me luck. Does anyone have experience with Primo warranties?

Click image for larger version

Name:	_G28Y8MuZmze9r02g3JRcSix2xKUkIA0I_si_n6v5gWS7gHF2EXxtVyjAONUgg37O-AI6ZRBxtNaCXc5B1LsgWxz1iiul2FgsqKojlh4WxcLtWjJiETH5EwuxlUERD8ZLHUQJ1aB3Oqu_2vadBL-h4PX4edfbrzoyGh9MYAOP3kyNH4M2glUnGR-zSoaoOMRe5fCC4bncZevVHzLVbaptsLnubOCj-QAUcSgqwBIkdFKTxfVNRcJDT7I3r00Vow
Views:	1689
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	590120

No experience with Primo, but wishing you a Big Green Egg warranty experience.

Comment

Attjack
      Let us know how your experience goes with Primo It does help other members that are looking for Primos or who currently own them. I am sure you won't have any issues, they are a very rebuttal brand. (As you know)

Max Good might be able to offer some advise.

Wishing you the best with the process!

Comment

I have zero experience with Primo warranties, but some experience fixing ceramic fireboxes/ stoves/ovens. If it comes down to it; assuming your experience at obtaining a new firebox is dead in the water, a bit of refractory cement will get you back to cooking in a couple days. Fact, most ceramic fireboxes crack at some point. It's inherent in the system. But, cracks are "deal-able." I've fixed a few friends ceramic fireboxes, and a bit of refractory cement has gotten them all cooking in short order. Just trying to help, just in case....

Comment

Primo has a Limited Lifetime Warranty Backed by a Twenty (20) year guarantee on all ceramic parts to the original owner. The seller said he would "help you out". Perhaps you can discuss this with him.

Comment

My original firebox was the old design. They replaced it w the new one, when it crack, for free. Pretty sure you'll have to have the original owner get the new one bc there is some paperwork they have to fill out including where they bought it etc.

Comment

The thing has a serial number on it. And it isn’t exactly something an "unauthorized retailer" would sell new.

So if it was never registered, you are probably good. As long as you know approximately when it was originally purchased. Otherwise if the seller originates the warranty claim then there you go.

My firebox has a gap in the front. I assume this is a stress relief expansion feature. If your box doesn’t have this, then the new box will. And they will likely be more willing to just replace it without too many questions as it was sort of a "defect". Not from material quality or build quality, more of from a design standpoint.

I wouldn’t toss the existing box, as it now has its own expansion gap. It’s still good unless it breaks more. Primo recommends stashing the warranty replacement until it is really needed.

Also I think the part is replaced, but you are on the hook for shipping.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                100%
                I cooked on my old one for a long time while it looked like the one above.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I would just store the new firebox until needed.

I thought the crack was getting bigger. I guess I wasn't just imagining things. This is what I found this morning.

Name:	OD5abCY2H6IaY-w1d6PV30ICp-CFPdHwOrsfgN4d7i4L5aiVbjKmpen6E3Wmcey0sYga1n7WG17OiOr5bg0wvhe3DFO3ypZSYRxQETMyFQZZV5ydjZJq05nIj-K2kZnvtJyaVJRrwADcJHYkA89-5dXBYaows4tO-D9XGtilIBr2HgFCyhLROW6QsMgm8eBY3hRPqUaQvGRm8gEImcXebxRHiKV-3k1UvMuuMRNjLNq3ltBYr_QHx0tods4l2uF
Views:	1418
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	590521

Name:	rzknzruF1iO5HIwXoTKt7rX9_BRBAuGIjrXI7eUDGD6j6c2ydYqIkvAJ6PPZ-trh6KCxTokKodhsGlOGO_t4CpY-WsIUYTOZjcTrfm9kFgzLF0ZPGu1MxZzE9s345VAr5xPT4dS_rELyMVi6PIIk15zgRLkJu6smEATRiOfths2GH863juUSk_1CgGi9AmV_Ef27PddGhP-w1UmPgaSpEFCrJIiRs5L-l6PvdO1tzs_P_T6eDOU3nORf2WN0qtx
Views:	1583
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	590522 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that looks familiar. With mine, my feeling was as long as the pieces fit together I’d use it.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I tend to switch to the new one when lump starts sneaking through the cracks.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking wiring it together using the existing holes just tight enough to hold it's shape.

The warranty process is moving along. Looks like shipping will be about $50. Then I figure I want to give this guy another $50 for his trouble.

Comment

Wow! The Big Green Egg warranty items are shipped to a nearby dealer at no charge and you pick them up. Is the $50 because there is no dealer near you. It is kind of you to give the guy $50.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure, the guy already replaced a firebox and told me he had paid $50 for shipping then. He's done all the work making calls and answering emails, he's even fronting the money to pay the shipping. That's above and beyond in my book to do for a craigslist buyer. He already gave my a hell of a deal and now this.
                  Last edited by Attjack; November 10, 2018, 10:37 AM.

• SmokeyGator
                  SmokeyGator commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Primo handles warranty claims directly. Replacement parts ship directly from the factory in GA. There aren’t as many dealers as BGE either.

I picked up my new firebox today. When I got there the guy had a whole pile of goodies for me.

Name:	20181124_140246.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	597103

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t beat free stuff! Happy for you.

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man! This story gets better and better! Congrats on the new stuff!

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know right, JCBBQ ? I gave the guy an extra $50 for his trouble then he gives me over $50 worth of wood and charcoal. Meanwhile, my old firebox is in 3 pieces but still functional for now. But when it finally breaks up too much I have a brand new one with the new design that fixes the expand and crack problem the old fireboxes had.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here