Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Meathead review contradiction? Concerning kamado cookers review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Meathead review contradiction? Concerning kamado cookers review

In Meatheads review of Komodo style cookers, he states that:

...." Strengths- These are superb smokers and roasters, the best outdoor ovens going...."

But then later on in the review he go's on to say:

...."Because they are so efficient, you don't need a lot of coals, and in order to keep the heat down, you often have to restrict airflow. That allows the coals to smolder and belch white smoke. It is pretty well established that
    the best smoke is blue and that comes from small hot fires, hard to achieve on kamados...."

So if it is the case that Komodo style cookers "belch white smoke" -something one definitely one does NOT want in their meat- because "...the best smoke is blue and that comes from small hot fires, hard to achieve on kamados...." How can they be "superb smokers..."? By my reasoning, I could see them as great low and slow ovens, or a great very hot grill, but not as a good -let alone- "superb" smoker, an obvious contradiction, Did I miss something here?
    Last edited by Grilgrate; May 1, 2018, 09:54 AM.

You can get the blue smoke just takes a little practice and a smoke pot helps immensely

Comment

I don't think it's a contradiction. He says they are superb smokers and outdoor ovens, but that it is kind of tricky to get them to perform at their best.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. If you're coming from a gasser or a kettle to a kamado, as most people will be, it will take some time to learn the ins and outs of the kamado.

Comment

Yea I'd say you're right on target there Mosca. You need to take care to build a proper fire in a kamado so you don't get acrid smoke. Why is that any different than a charcoal or wood fired smoker? Once you establish the thin blue smoke by means of controlling your fire, kamados are very efficient in containing that heat/smoke level and are great ovens in their own right. I believe that's what he's trying to say. Maybe we can hear from the horse's mouth....

Comment

What Mosca said..

hope this isn’t a turd floating in the punch bowl.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          I fear it could be.... Or at least a Snickers bar in the pool.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead Baby Ruth has a better look to it...

As an outsider to the ceramic community, my understanding is that they have a higher learning curve than a kettle or a gasser, so it may be a few more cooks before you have it really dialed in. That might lead to a few new pope smokes before you really get that thin blue consistently. But, based on the posts of the Kamado Kult around here (As soon as I'm out of my condo, I will be joining), I don't think there's a problem getting good smoke out of it once you know what you're doing (or adopt the smoking lamp technique).

Comment

You can also use a vortex and place a chunk or two directly above it on the grates, works like a charm for higher temps

Comment

It’s not hard getting to blue smoke. Usually takes about 30 minutes from lighting. Maybe 45 mins to lock in on your desired temp. Then walk away if you’re going low and slow. They are amazingly versatile cookers, roasters, smokers, grills, searing machines, pizza oven, etc, etc etc...

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          But it takes a while to learn the right settings for your cooker. And, there's an emotional dimension to thinking that all your wood is burning up!

It made sense to me and that's hard to do.

Comment

Well, since I have been asked the same question over and over, (and recived responses that have nothing to do with the original question) I will answer it as best as I can for all.

Because this post is titled - A Meathead review contradiction...- It would be a reasonable expection that Meathead should comment on - and please clarify the
          ambiguity in his review - on this issue himself, but so far, just the sound of crickets, It will be good to hear what he has to say when -or if- he responds.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't believe anyone has actually sent this post to Meathead. As in Meathead

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead is a very busy guy. He is not in The Pit all the time. I will forward this directly to him so he can chime in

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            It took me a day to get here, but I have responded.

But again he states that it is hard to achieve not that it is impossible to do. As stated by most on here there is a learning curve to this and all grills

Comment

Yes it is absolutely reasonable that Meathead stops everything he is doing to personally answer and post in every thread in the forum.... I’m sure he has nothing else to do....

while he does jump in on occasion and participate in threads this forum works off of us helping each other not by throwing shade at the creator of the forum because he didn’t immediately address your concern.

Sorry we all commented since since you were only wanting his feedback.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              While you are absolutely correct, that was a tad harsh.

The biggest issue with using kamados as smokers isn't so much the smoke itself, but all of the gases. Because kamados are so well-insulated, the heat is maintained with a smaller fire than what you'd have in a kettle, barrel, etc. This side-by-side comparison of a WSCG and a 26 + SnS exposes the limitations of kamados as smokers. Based upon the eye-test and the descriptions, I think the 26 is a better vessel for smoking than a kamado. Baby Back Maniac

Also, lest anyone conclude that a ceramic might produce better results than the WSCG this guy also does a head-to-head between the WSCG and Kamado Joe. The 2 kamados produced identical results.

Having said all of that, a kamado's weakness as a smoker is also it's strength: efficiency. Once the temp settles in you can walk away for 24 hours and temps will hold real steady. They are so-well insulated that one doesn't have to worry about wind picking up dramatically, or the clouds opening up all of a sudden. Just umbrella the top vent and it will hum away, impervious to the weather. Because the fire burns so slowly, one doesn't need to worry about knocking off ash or adding coals. It's truly set/forget in a way that a kettle, WSM, etc simply cannot match.

I think that is the apparent contradiction.
            Last edited by JeffJ; May 2, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Grilgrate
              Grilgrate commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, and thank you for the link, I will get back to you about the vid in that link soon.

You can get good smoke from a Komodo. If you carefully read the "contradiction" you will see it doesn’t exist. He doesn’t say it is impossible to get thin blue smoke, just that is harder.

Having recently obtained a Komodo I can attest that there is a bit of a learning curve. Last time I tried 225 degrees for ribs it overshot, I think because I left the damper all the way open on the pit viper fan. So next time I will choke that down. I will also try wrapping the wood chunks in foil then putting them UNDER the coals, so the smoke has to filter through hot coals. It will belch white smoke, but then again so does every fire at first. Eventually it settles down.

At higher temperstures the smoke is easier to manage. I did some roasted chicken at 325 and it was easier to get good smoke. Even easier at 500+ when I did pizza.

But anyway "difficult" is not "impossible". And once I figure out what works best the "difficult" will become less so.

Comment

1) Yes it is absolutely reasonable that Meathead stops everything he is doing to personally answer and post in every thread in the forum.... I’m sure he has nothing else to do....

2) while he does jump in on occasion and participate in threads this forum works off of us helping each other not by throwing shade at the creator of the forum because he didn’t immediately address your concern.

3) Sorry we all commented since since you were only wanting his feedback.

4) Turns out there is a turd floating in the punch bowl..... [/QUOTE]

Wow, a person puts up a post about statements they identify as incongruent, and you attack them like a rabid hyena, let's recap with your statements and perception of me vs. reality.

1) I never said Meathead should "stop everything he is doing......" You said that, all I said was It would good if he would comment, since it was in fact he who made the statements, as far as how busy he is, I have no idea, I do not know the man, so I cannot know if or when he may respond or in fact how busy he may or may not be, but in talking with him in the past I have found him to be a very pleasant fellow, and not one to attack someone like a rabid hyena for simply asking for clarification of a statement they made or possibly even admitting a mistake on their part, something intelligent people often do.

2) I did not -nor intend to- "throw shade" at Meathead (or anyone else here at this site) again, it is you making a 2nd angry accusation at me, and I never said -or even implied- that he ..."immediately address my concern" You did.

3) Wrong again. I never said "...you were only wanting his feedback." you did. The whole point of the post was feedback (not attacks from rabid hyenas) from other members.

4) That statement is so inane I will not even respond.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Comment

• Mark E.
                Mark E. commented
                Editing a comment
                Yikes!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep it civil guys, We have sent this to Meathead. I am sure he will chime in to discuss the article when he has the chance. Nate Grilgrate

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker my apologies. I’ll stop. It was tongue and cheek at first but as usual hard to express tone.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here