Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe -Vortex- Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe -Vortex- Wings

Have to give thanks to Malcome Reed for this one. This was just a trial run to see how they come out. Simple,quick, and crispy, so now have 3 dozen to do for a few guys at work . Nice smoke coming from the pecan chunkClick image for larger version

Name:	20180311_151552.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	465776

Nic set up. I have a vortex as well for the kettle but have only tried it with wings so far.

Comment

Nice deal. Using the Vortex on the KJ.
      I love mine with the kettle as well.

Never thought of putting a wood chunk on the cooking grate. That’s a great idea. That Vortex throws out some serious heat. So I can see how that would work.

Good tip. Gonna try that next wing cook. Thanks.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        It works great doing it that way,right amount of heat to give a nice smoke

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like doing it that way, since you can always remove the smoke wood when you think you have enough smoke flavor.

• nikolausp
        nikolausp commented
        Editing a comment
        Just sent you a DM about the Vortex Steve B

I have only used my Vortex with Weber kettle also. It does a great job cooking wings.

Comment

I grill chicken parts a LOT. Since I put my Medium Vortex in my Weber Performer, that’s my "go to" for chicken parts. I do wings, legs, and thighs at the same time. This week, we had a neighbor couple over for supper and I did party wings and large thighs on the Vortex. We used Louisiana Seasoned Chicken Fry Mix (as directed for frying chicken) but used the Performer with the Vortex (vents wide open). I flipped the pieces after 20 minutes, and they were finished at another ten minutes. The skin was potato chip crisp and the meat was moist. It had just the right amount of seasoning (I would say medium) for us.

The neighbors are experienced grillers and they were blown away by the chicken.

The amazing thing to me is that the party wings are small and we had two different sizes of thighs and yet all of the pieces finished at the same time. I just flat LOVE my Vortex. The Louisiana Mix is relatively new to us, but it has also become one of our favorites.

YMMV
        Dale53

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here