Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baking Pizza in a Kamado cooker...😎

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking Pizza in a Kamado cooker...😎

My Pit buddy CeramicChef asked a while ago if I would write a thread to explain what I feel is the best way to bake pizza in a Kamado cooker. Having baked bread on my BGE long before I tried pizza I had some of that experience to draw from. Baking bread and pizza is the same exact cook, just at different temperatures. The proceeding text is what I've learned in the last 5 years, bit by bit, through trial and error. I don't claim to be an expert at it but I've given it lots of thought.

Kamado cookers, we all know, are the Brick Ovens of the BBQ industry.

What is a brick oven and why are they so popular in the Pizzaria business?

The benefits of brick oven pizza...

Since the dawn of civilization, wood-fired brick ovens and pizza have been in existence. Discoveries of brick ovens have been made in the excavations of virtually every ancient culture. Today, the brick oven is as commonplace in Italy as the barbecue grill is elsewhere. There are many benefits of pizza made in a brick oven which cannot be duplicated in a conventional oven.
    Higher cooking temperature Γ’β‚¬β€œ Heat radiates out from the heat source (in this case, a wood fire), is spread around the oven, and ultimately absorbed by the interior brick walls. This heat radiates across the dome very evenly while the floor of the oven remains slightly cooler. When the oven gets really hot inside, the baking temperature can be anywhere between 570 and 660 degrees Fahrenheit. By keeping a continuous small fire going on inside the oven, these temperatures can be maintained. A really good pizza is made in this environment.

Faster cooking time Γ’β‚¬β€œ Because of the high heat stored in the dense walls, the brick oven is designed to cook pizza very quickly. It takes approximately 2-3 minutes maximum for the pizza to cook. This is very economical if you need to cook a lot of pizzas!

Better crust Γ’β‚¬β€œ At such high temperatures, the radiant heat from the fire and the heat bouncing off the inside walls of the oven crisps the outside of the pizza very quickly. Any moisture in the dough is thus sealed off. This prevents the base of the dough from becoming soggy and results in a flavorful crust that’s puffy, yet soft and chewy.

Unique flavor Γ’β‚¬β€œ Only a wood-fired brick oven pizza imparts that unique smoky flavor that cannot be reproduced in a normal kitchen oven. The high temperature produces other flavors not achieved by slow cooking. However, as heat destroys the flavor of olive oil, there is usually none contained in either the dough or the sauce. Instead, a good-quality olive oil is drizzled over the cooked pizza right before serving.

Crispier toppings Γ’β‚¬β€œ The intense heat and constant airflow generated in the brick oven seals and cooks the toppings evenly and quickly. The vegetable toppings will be crispier than those produced on pizzas made in the oven. This quick cooking also allows the vitamins and other nutrients in the vegetables to remain. In addition, the cheese does not burn but, instead, lends itself to an appealing color and smoky flavor.

Owning a brick pizza oven has its own benefits; it is both economical and efficient. It is economical in that more than one pizza can be cooked at a time and foods other than pizza can be cooked inside. It is efficient as foods cook quicker, resulting in healthier ingredient and better tasting pizza. Not only that, but your friends and family will be so impressed!

So... With that said, we Kamado owners have the ultimate Brick/Ceramic oven ever created for baking pizza at high temperatures.

The key is to know how to use one to get the ultimate results.

I searched the Big Green Egg website for pizza baking information and found it completely wrong and unhelpful. I searched various websites looking for solid pizza baking information. Nothing! Anywhere.

So I set out to devise a way to use my BGE to my fullest advantage for baking pizza on my own. Understand that my bread baking knowledge was what told me that the BGE's website had no clue of how to bake pizza in the very product they created.

First I studied brick ovens to find out why bread bakers and pizza makers worshipped brick ovens. What I discovered was there was both high temperature radiant heat, high airflow, which produced convection heat too. Plus they used wood to heat up their ovens so you get a slight smokey flavor from them.

Brick Ovens have a similar shape as a Kamado with a pizza stone installed, kind of sort of, the dome shaped top is the key element there. Air comes through the big bottom vent in a brick oven bounces off the top of the dome and heads back down to smother the pizza with convection heat and then goes out the top vent... Just like a Kamado does. So I'm thinking I can set up my Kamado to replicate a brick oven, easy peasy. All I needed was lots of airflow and lots of pre-heating to get all of the Ceramics heated up to produce radiant heat.

Then I got to thinking about the airflow and exactly how that air would travel though my cooker. Logic told me that the new air would enter through the bottom vent and travel toward the back wall of the ceramic shell, that explains why the hot spot in a Kamado is always toward the back wall, and bounce upward through the lump, and then to the top of the roundish dome, and bounce back down toward the bread/pizza and the go up and out the top vent, in a circular motion. I visualized that happening in my mind... That told me I needed to elevate the pizza/bread up into the dome, about to the dome temperature gauge level, to have that convection heat hit the bread/pizza many times in that circular cycle. Thinking the combination of radiant heat from the ceramics and convection heat of the airflow was the magic for baking pizza and bread. Just like in a brick oven.

Having figured that out I deducted I needed to bake my bread/pizza without my top vent on at all. Thinking that step would greatly increase airflow through the cooker. After trying that I had a head slapper, ah ha, moment too. I realized I could peer through the top vent while my bread/pizza was baking to inspect its progress without opening the dome, which would cause me to lose the heat I had so diligently developed.

So... At the end of my research I deducted that to make my Kamado replicate a brick oven I needed to maximize the airflow. Use the radiant heat only a Kamado can give you and position my bread/pizza in a position to reap the benefit of the convection heat too.

I dump a full load of lump in. I mount the heat deflector. I put on the regular grate. I put the Grill Dome grate on top of the regular grate and put my pizza stone on top of that. That setup will place your pizza/bread at about the dome thermometer level. Which I also discovered had a hidden advantage too. When baking pizza or bread at 550Β° to 800Β° you can't use any external thermometers to track your cooking temp or you will fry them. The Tel-Tru thermometer is accurate at the level it is placed in the dome.

Another tip on baking pizza or bread... Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on your pizza peel to transfer your pizza onto the pizza stone instead of corn meal like most websites tell you to. The YUGE advantage to that method is if you have a hot spot and your pizza is browning unevenly, you open the dome, pinch the parchment with your thumb and finger and rotate it 180Β°.

I will also say this... You can bake pizza at 500Β° to 550Β° very successfully. However baking pizza at 650Β° is better. 800Β° for Neapolitan thin crust pizza is much, much better and also REQUIRED in Italy if you claim to sell Neapolitan pizza!

Notice the size of my 14" pizza stone. I used to have a wider one but I felt it restricted my airflow to much.

Here's my setup for pizza/bread cooks...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 7, 2016, 10:14 AM.

Can you point me to the exact grill dome grate you're using (to elevate it)?

Comment

Breadhead, that is a superb write-up! Thanks for sharing your insights.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      +1^

Amen. Best write up on pizza I've read!

Large BGE right?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes...

scottranda ... This is the exact item I use on my large BGE. They are available both larger and smaller. Buy the one that fits your size of cooker.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you linked the Amazon link. They have the height. I have a small unused grating that I am going to try to weld up the base. Would hate to weld and find out it is too high.

BriggsBBQ ... I admire your do it yourself attitude but that Grill Dome grate has much more value to me than just elevating my pizza stone.

1) If I want to bake a boat load of chicken wings I remove the pizza stone and place another large grate on top where the pizza stone was and I load both the regular grate and the elevated grate with wings.

2) If I smoke a brisket I like to separate the point from the flat. I place the flat on the regular grate and put the point up on the grill dome grate higher up in the dome. The point will finish much sooner than the flat because the cooking temp up in the dome level is about 10Β° hotter than the regular grate cooking temp. That allows me to slice my point into cubes and sauce it and put it back in to apply some more smoke while the flat is finishing. Or I can cook vegetables on it while I'm cooking something else down on the regular grate.

3) Its the only grate I use to do the reverse sear in my BGE. No plate setter, no regular grate, just the grill dome grate.πŸ‘ I place it legs down on top of the fire ring so my steaks are far away from the small fire I have burning in the firebox. I regulate my cooking temperature at the level of the steaks to 225Β°. When my steaks reach an IT of 120Β° I remove the steaks, open the dome and invert the grate to the legs up position so it sit 2" for the lump. Then I blast the lump with my BBQ Dragon to get my lump to Warp 10 heat. I blot my steaks with a paper towel, put some beef love on them and put them on the grate to sear them.

You can try to save a couple of bucks doing your own but if you don't duplicate their design you will giving up lots of the uses I find very handy.

For all of the many, many gadgets I've bought for my BGE I find that grate to be the 2nd most useful gadget I've ever bought. The DigiQ Dx2 being number 1.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm just showing off BriggsBBQ ... 😁

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That Dragon seems to come up a lot.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      The BBQ Dragon is a time saver. Anytime you need to increase your cooking temperature by a lot, blast it with the Dragon.

Wow, you got some really cool techniques going on there. I've just got an unused grating from another project and torch. Probably will not save any money but I am trying to get handy with the torch. Since I am firmly and amateur welder I might end up buying on anyway LOl.

Comment

Originally posted by BriggsBBQ View Post
      Wow, you got some really cool techniques going on there. I've just got an unused grating from another project and torch. Probably will not save any money but I am trying to get handy with the torch. Since I am firmly and amateur welder I might end up buying on anyway LOl.
      That's EXACTLY why CeramicChef started this series of posts regarding information about cooking on Kamado cookers. The idea is to assemble as much credible data on setups, methods and techniques as possible to help new Kamado owners through the normally difficult learning curve. Thanks for reading this post.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        It's so cool that I'm going to download it and save it to a flash drive or something for when I eventually get a ceramic in 20 years after I sell my condo and retire.

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Great post, Breadhead! You go Big Guy!

@Breadhead,

A tremendously well done write up. Just so happens I'm doing pizza tomorrow and will borrow your techniques. Thanks much!

One question: I've seen you in other threads recommend the use of 00 flour. Can you comment on that? Do you use 100% 00 or a mixture? What is the relationship between your flour choice and the temp you cook at?
      Last edited by Pequod; July 7, 2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Great write up as usual @Breadhead!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dr ROK ... It was nice to finally get that in writing. I had been thinking I should compose that for awhile now. When CeramicChef asked me to do it that got me going. I'm glad you liked it.πŸ‘

Originally posted by Pequod View Post
        @Breadhead,

A tremendously well done write up. Just so happens I'm doing pizza tomorrow and will borrow your techniques. Thanks much!

One question: I've seen you in other threads recommend the use of 00 flour. Can you comment on that? Do you use 100% 00 or a mixture? What is the relationship between your flour choice and the temp you cook at?
        I hope those techniques help on your pizza cook tomorrow. 00 flour was engineered to cook at real high temperatures. In Italy they bake their famous Neapolitan style pizza dough at 800Β°. If you bake AP or Bread flour at that temperature it will burn and ruin your pizza. I cook AP and Bread flour pizza dough at 650Β°. I've never felt the need to go higher with those 2 flours. I get the right browning on those pizza crusts and light browning on the bottom of the crusts too.

So the only flour I'm comfortable cooking with at real high temperatures is the 00 flour. I use 100% 00 flour when I use it. The pizza's cook in 1 1/2 to 2 minutes at 800Β°.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 8, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Fine Swine
          Fine Swine commented
          Editing a comment
          I was able to cook at 800Β°F for AP flour. Pizza done perfect in 100 seconds. This is where the food scale comes into play. The higher the heat, the more hydration you have to have when using AP.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear Fine Swine ... Based on what I've learned about AP & BF I've not pushed it past 650Β°. What was your hydration percentage on that dough?

• Fine Swine
          Fine Swine commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure at the moment. But I will post a snapshot later today...Working on a brisket ...

Breadhead, what can I say other than this is a thorough and helpful post that will help Pit members for a long time to come. Thank-you!

What brand of parchment paper do you use? The ones I've looked at (Reynolds for example) say safe to ~420. Is their stated temp maximum not a factor due to the short time the pizza is in?

Comment

Thank you for your kind comment fuzzydaddy .

I buy whatever parchment paper is on the shelf when I need some. I've found that any of the parchment paper that is directly over the pizza stone will not burn even at 650Β°. Any of the edges that hang over the edge of the pizza stone will burn even at 550Β°. Just trim the edges off if they extend passed the edge of the stone.

If you intend to cook pizza fairly often I would forget the parchment paper and buy some silicone baking sheets and trim them to fit your pizza stone. I have 2 of those and I've cooked over a 100 loaves of bread or pizza on them. I just scrub them clean in the sink after using them and use them over and over again. It's easier than tearing a piece of parchment paper out each time and trimming it to fit your stone.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Very helpful.

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            Question on silicone baking mats: most of those on Amazon are rated up to only 480 F. Are you saying these will work at (much) higher temps, or is there a particular type that is rated for higher temps?

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Pequod ... Yes they have for me for a couple of years. I've never had a baking sheet burn. Just trim it so none of it is exposed to direct heat.

Breadhead -Excellent Post with loads of useful information. Thank you.

Comment

Skip Amazon is your friend:

The blue bag Caputo is supposed to be for pizza, but I think blue bags are now used for several different flours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here