Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit! Smoke 'Em If You've Got 'Em; Part 2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CeramicChef
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • OKC, OK

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit! Smoke 'Em If You've Got 'Em; Part 2

Howdy Again Meathead Maniacs!

Today, I'm going to introduce you to a smoking technique that allows you to really simplify placing of smoke wood for optimal effect.

As we stated in the last installment, knowing where to place your smoke wood is really quite a quandary. Even with understanding the general air flow patterns in our kamados, those only evolve over quite a few cooks. So when all is said and done, smoke wood placement more often than not remains hit or miss.

It wasn't until about 2 or 3 years ago that I literally stumbled across a smoke wood placement technique that is so simple and so DUH! that I sat in my chair stunned the first time I saw it. Now I want to know THIS TECHNIQUE IS NOT ORIGINAL WITH ME. It was developed, to theist of my ability to discover, by a Ph.D. Mathematician from the State of New York. He's a real aficionado of kamado cooking. I "met" this man over at the Komodo Kamado Forum and I have appropriated his technique.

So here it is. Get a 2 quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Drill 3 holes 1/8" diameter in the bottom of your Dutch Oven. That's right, 3 holes that are 1/8" in diameter. That's it. You then place the Dutch Oven filled with the smoke wood you want for this specific cook right top of your fire in the lump pile, holes facing straight down. Within a couple of minutes you're getting smoke coming our the bottom of the Dutch Oven Smoke Pot. That smoke is straight down into the active fire right below the Smoke Pot. By being ejected out of theft and right into the fire in your lump, all the really bad volatiles are burned in the fire and all you are left with is essentially "Thin Blue Smoke!" How full you pack that Smoke Pot with your choice of smoke wood determines how long that smoke is laid on your cook.

Here is a picture of the original Dutch Oven Smoke Pot I used. It's nothing but a Lodge Cast Iron 2 quart Dutch Oven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	183750

Here it is with TOO MANY HOLES drilled in it. It was only after I drilled these that I found. You only want 3 holes drilled in the middle of the bottom of the smoke pot. I've since had those extra holes welded over.

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	183751

Now here is a picture of the Smoke Pot filled with smoke wood.

Name:	IMG_1098 (1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	183752

This looks as if its pretty full, right? Well, there is always room for more and in the last installment of Smoke Wood Itold you that there is a place for pellets in a kamado. Here it is.

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	183753

This is a FULL smoke pot right before it went in the belly of TheBeast on a pork butt cook. I wanted this smoke to lay on a really heavy flavor as the people I was entertaining like a robust smoke flavor in the bark.

Here is a picture of the Smoke Pot right after I placed it in the fire in the belly of The Beast. notice that I tend to nestle this Smoke Pot right down in the burning lump. I want good contact and great smoke production. That's a rectangular heat deflector you see to the right of the picture. After I place the Smoke pot, I place my heat deflector in its usual place. The Smoke Pot is under that heat deflector during the cook.

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	183754

Here is another shot of the Smoke Pot showing you how it fits in the lump pile.

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	183755

Finally, here is a picture of what the Smoke Pot looks like at the end of the cook. All you're left with is charcoal in the Smoke Pot. Most of the time I just dump that charcoal back into the lump pile. The pellets will fall through whenever I shape the basket. For those of you with conventional fire bowls, I don't recommend dumping the contents of the Smoke Pot into you lump pile. The reason is that the pellets will work their way down to the fire grate and cold very easily block it. It's just easier and safer to dump the content of the Smoke Pot in the trash after making absolutely certain that everything is extinguished and cold.

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	183756

Maniacs, this simple Smoke Pot is about as easy as it gets. The Mathematician that came up with this idea seals the lid onto the body with a bead of flour paste around the inside top rim. I personally have never found the need to do that, but you can if you like and if your lid doesn't fit as well as mine.

You can adjust the amount of smoke you lay on your cook by varying the amount of smoke wood you put in the pot. Some folks like a really heavy some flavor. If that's you, load the Smoke Pot up with smoke wood and then fill in the interstitial spaces with the pellets of your choice. If you prefer a milder smoke flavor on your cooks, one or two pieces of smoke wood in the Smoke Pot should suffice.

Now you say my kamado is the Classic size of 18" and isn't nearly as big as TheBeast. A 2 quart Dutch Oven is going to be pretty big! I understand. Kamado cookers with the "Classic" size can use a 1 quart Dutch Oven instead of a 2 quart. Again, no more than 3 holes drilled in the bottom.

So there you have it. This is to my mind an absolutely foolproof means of getting smoke on your cook. You never have to worry again where to place smoke wood if you adopt this method.

Questions? Comments? Thoughts?
  • martybartram
    Former Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Vass, NC

my first smoker was comprised of a $15 electric hot plate and a dutch oven. I would put wood in the dutch oven and set the oven, lid off, on the hot plate. The hot plate was at the bottom of a gutted gasser. It would take hours to get smoke started (in part because I did not know any better than to soak my chips) and the inside of the grill probably never hit 100F. I was cold smoking and did not even know it. I would take the meat off and throw it on my other gasser.
    Anyway, using a dutch oven is a great idea, but the holes in the bottom is genius scientist stuff!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram - interesting story! It's amazing how much we learn thru trial and error.

As for the holes in the bottom, it is shear genius! And all I can lay claim to is being a copycat!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      CeramicChef ... I'll bet the guy that engineered that method would be quite pleased that you thought enough of his creation that you felt compelled to share in the Pit.

Meathead didn't invent the reverse sear but, he gets a lot of credit for making it known all over the world.πŸ‘

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      I've posted over at the KK Forum how much everyone likes the smoke pot idea.
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Great post CeramicChef . This is a topic that rarely gets discussed in most Kamado forums in any detail. Figuring out how to control the quantity of smoke flavor is usually discovered in the late part of the learning curve of Kamado cooking. I've used a rectangle shaped cast iron smoker box that I place right over the small fire when I fire up the lump. That item has holes on the top, not the bottom. It has worked for me before but there is not enough space in it to place enough wood chunks in it, so I've resorted to the 1 big chunk over the small flame and then a circle of chunks about an inch away from the center chunk. That works for me ok... Not great. I'm going to try this very interesting method. I'll go to the cast iron store and buy a small DO that will fit my large BGE appropriately and drill the 3 holes.

However there are 2 things I'm not clear on...

1) The purpose of filling in the gaps of your wood chunks with pellets? My assumption is that blocks the circulation inside the DO and limits how fast the chunks burn. Not sure though.
    2) If your DO lid is tightly sealed and you only have 3 small holes in the bottom, where is the exhaust? Hot air must enter through those bottom holes to ignite the wood chunks & pellets so once the smoke is generated, where does it come out?

Again... Great topic and your presentation was top notch.πŸ‘

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead - know Q1. Pellets can serve 2 purposes. First, I tend to layer on smoke flavors. I'll use oak in conjunction with some peach. Oak chances and peach pellets or vice versa. Or for a really heavy flavor, oak and oak. Never had any problem with circulation. Remember this is over hours.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead & CeramicChef I drilled holes in the bottom of one of these cast iron smoker boxes,put aluminum foil over the top and put the lid on. I can see now that filling all of he void space with pellets would keep the wood from catching fire.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      As oxygen poor as the interior of that smoke pot is that the wood catching fire isn't really a problem. However, if that foil helps seal that lid quite well so that smoke doesn't exit the top and instead exits only the bottom, then that is a very good thing. I really like that foil idea! Thanks!
  • CandySueQ
    KCBS President, and Moderator
    • Jul 2014
    • Pellet Fired Jambo, T1000 Woodmaster, FEC100, MAK 2 star, Yoder 640, Backwoods Pellet Chef, 14" & 22" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Stoven, Hot Box Grill, Hasty Bake Portable

2 quarts? Seems like a lot of wood (i.e., smoke) to me! Hole in the bottom is smart. BBQr's Delight has a cast iron smoke pot just for pellets that's much smaller, maybe 1/2 cup pellet capacity with no holes (smoke comes out the crack in the lid). Very interesting!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ - The guy whose idea this is like a heavy smoke on his food. But at the end go the day, you can only get about 5 good chunks in there and maybe half a cup of pellets. I found that it's terrible easy to just adjust how much wood (smoke flavor) you put in!
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Thank you CeramicChef ... The word retort put it all into perspective for me. That's a good word that few people would use to describe what was happening inside that CI potπŸ˜‰

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad that word "retort" got the deed done. That's exactly what the smoke pot is, a retort. It's just a miniature means of producing charcoal. A by product of making the charcoal is the smoke.
  • fuzzydaddy
    Charter Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Winchester TN
    • Hardware
      Slow N Sear Deluxe Kamado.
      22" Weber Kettle.
      Slow N Sear, DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
      Chimney starters.
      PartyQ.
      Joule.
      GrillGrates, GrateGriddles.
      Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
      ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
      KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks)
      Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins.
      SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
      MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPOG.

Very good post CeramicChef! Thank-you. I need to look and see what size would be best for my XL BGE.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy - thanks. Let us know what works best in your XL BGE. Have fun and here's to great cooks!
  • johnsteen
    Charter Member
    • Jan 2015

I bought a one quart Lodge and it fits fine in my large Green Egg.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      johnsteen - congrats! Let us know what you think. How about a picture of the pot in your L BGE to show everyone how it fits? Thanks.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      johnsteen ...

What are the dimensions of that 1 quart pot? Do you know?
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

Very well done Breadhead, but I suggest not using that pot for soup.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      You're a funny guy. The 3 holes would make warming soup very difficult.😎
  • johnsteen
    Charter Member
    • Jan 2015

Here is the Lodge #6 in the large Green egg.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      johnsteen - I see you're using the Dutch Oven with legs. I've never thought of suing that type of Dutch Oven. I think that size would really work.

• johnsteen
      johnsteen commented
      Editing a comment
      That was the only 1 quart size I could find. The legs do stabilize it some.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the pictures.πŸ˜‰ I'm going to order that exact pot today.😎 Just feeding my MCS, 1 gadget at a time.πŸ‘
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 23rd, 2016, 08:35 AM.
  • Beefchop
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • Lafayette, LA
    • XL Big Green Egg, Shirley Fabrication 24"x42" Patio Cooker

I'm feeling the pull towards the cult of the ceramic...great innovation! I wonder how the flavor stacks up against an expensive offset.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      I had an expensive reverse flow offset with baffles, the whole nine yards. Within a month a getting my first BGE, I sold the offset. Kamado cooking is so much easier than being a slave to an offset. The flavors are just as good on the kamado as the offset. That's why I sold the offset.

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      I may have to buy a ceramic just to test this mod. There's a KJ roadshow at Costco here in Lafayette this week, and a BGE dealer just around the corner from our new place. Temptations everywhere!!!!

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Beefchop - as my good Friend 5698k says ... Come to the dark side! Resistance is futile!

Come on in; the water's wonderful!
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • New Orleans

Beefchop, I have found, as many others I have talked to have found, the first thing you notice is how much more moist the food from a kamado is. Secondly, I find that the smoke flavors are more subtle, not bitter, and you can really taste the difference between peach and cherry. It all boils down to airflow, kamados need so little. The low airflow keeps moisture in the vessel to the point that I see puddling at the bottom of my kamado regularly. A few chunks of wood are all that's necessary for a cook, not several logs.

At this point in my cooking life, I feel the only advantage an offset can offer is space, but as far as flavor and simplicity, kamados win hands down.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said 5698k ...πŸ‘
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
    I'm feeling the pull towards the cult of the ceramic...great innovation! I wonder how the flavor stacks up against an expensive offset.

Beefchop ... It depends on who you ask.πŸ€”

If you ask a guy that uses a stick burn you will get one response.

If you ask CeramicChef who is the Pits most experienced Ceramic Chef and who owns the Rolls Royce of Kamado cookers, you will get another answer.

IMHO... If you know how to maintain the temperature in any smoker for long periods of time and you know how the cooker will dispense smoke flavors to your meat... There will be very little difference in the finished product.

Put a brisket in any cooker at 225Β° and get the right amount of smoke on it and you're golden.πŸ‘

I personally use a large BGE for 1 major reason. I set it at 225Β° and I go to bed.

I love, love, love the KBQ but I Will Not Buy one. I refuse to stay up all night feeding the beast.😑

Comment

• JCBBQ
      Club Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Jersey City, NJ
      • Primo Oval XL Ceramic Cooker
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        2x Mavrick 732
        Therma Pen Orange
        Favorite Bourbon Blanton's
        SF Giants

MCS wish list - Lone Star Grillz off set

What a great idea! How long does it take before it starts producing smoke?

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as it takes for the cast iron to heat up to the smoke point of the wood. It can be as short as 2-3 minutes. It's no big wait time at all.
    • Breadhead
      Banned Former Member
      • Jul 2014

Being the fugal type and knowing I'm going to drill 3 holes in a brand new cast iron pot I bought the Chinese version.πŸ˜† it has legs too. Measurements: 4.5 inches x 6.75 inches x 6.75 inches. About $28 delivered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=amazi0a8-20
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 25th, 2016, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome. Keep us posted. I looked at that one on line too. It was the cheapest/smallest one I saw online so i'm going to see how you like it before pulling the trigger.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ ... I compared it in size to the much more expensive Lodge 1 quart. This 3/4 quart is actually slightly larger. I guess the Chinese had a problem converting to a quart measurement.πŸ€” I thought in view of the fact that this thing was only going to be used for 1 thing, it was good enough.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I was given a one quart DO almost a year ago up, but I am having difficulty drilling holes in the bottom. I know I eventually will.
    • Breadhead
      Banned Former Member
      • Jul 2014

My MCS has been acting up lately. I got 2 packages today from Amazon. Both BBQ gadgets.

A small cast iron pot for holding wood chunks and a tool for lifting out my hot plate setter. No new cookers though, just gadgets.πŸ˜†
      Attached Files

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Beefchop - I'm just short for my weight! If I was as tall as my weight would indicate, I'd be 8"9"!

As it is, I'm 3'2"!

• dajoker
        dajoker commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought an almost identical pot. When I was looking for a way to seal my BKK, a forensic metallurgist warned me against using coated metals and the off gassing of heavy metals at high temperature. I removed the handle from my pot in case.

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        dajoker - your metallurgist advised you correctly!

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
    See more
    See less
    Working...
    X
    Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
    Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
    This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order