Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom Vent Hole Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Vent Hole Location

I have a question about my SNS Kettle. On the picture below, I’ve circled the lower vent and upper vent in red. The yellow line represents the smoke flow pattern. The blue scribble is the SNS inside the kettle.

This set up means you must have the front of the lid facing the side tray rather than the front of the kettle when you are doing a low and slow. Does the SNS need to be on the side when doing a low and slow so the air from the bottom vent hits the charcoal?

I prefer to have the SNS in the back so I can have the vent and temp gauge on the front of the kettle rather than to the side. For this to happen, it seems the bottom vent would need to be in the rear. Am I missing something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1419038

(BTW, I have the ring from the Rotisserie on the kettle because I’m doing a low and slow Pork Butt on two levels.)

I’ve got the same SNS kettle as you do, along with the rotisserie kit. Personally, I’ve always put the SnS insert in the back with the lid thermometer in the front, as I prefer that setup also. I’ve always got plenty of smoke flavor that way without moving the lid to the side. Doing a low and slow, it seems to me with both vents starting out in a “mostly” almost closed position, there seems to be plenty of smoke still circulating inside that I don’t worry about it. If it’s a concern you could always add more wood chunks, rather than the inconvenience of the lid facing off to the side.

Comment

Good question I will be watching for other Pit-masters opinions on this.

Comment

I think you could place the SnS where you want if you cover the open part of the charcoal grate. That way the air would only have one way to get out. And put the top vent opposite the SnS.

Comment

• JLR
          JLR commented
          Editing a comment
          I do use the cast iron drip tray but it isn’t a snug fit so air can flow around it. Maybe I’m over thinking it. In an offset, air flow is important. Perhaps not so much in a little kettle.

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve gone with and without the drip pan and I don’t think it makes a bit of difference in the end result so long as the fire is opposite the exhaust vent

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr - call it insurance.

I basically followed what I saw on the SNS videos on YouTube which SNS made. I also bought the stainless steal griddle pan and rack and use that as well. I haven’t done a butt yet but have done ribs and a Charles roast. Turned out amazing.

Comment

The SNS video shows the setup I described. It seems to me it would make more sense to have placed the bottom vent/smoke hole in the back of the kettle so the “front” of the lid wouldn’t be over the side tray. It seems strange. I wonder what their reasoning was.

I’ve done several slow cooks and they’ve all come out fine, but I do have the lid turned sideways as directed in the video.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve thought the same thing when using mine. I want the vent and thermometer in front so I don’t use that little smoke port since it doesn’t seem to be located in the right position for my setup. It would be useful if it was cut in the rear of the kettle. If I set it up as they show in the video then it might make a difference but I’m not going to cook over the side table nor have to go to the side to see my temps.

• JLR
            JLR commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw I use temp probes, so I don’t need to see the temp gauge (mine is way off anyway). But I still want the vent and gauge in front.

An excerpt from my review, "....the Smoke Hole does double duty as a secondary air intake. For low and slow smoking at 225°F, Slow ‘N Sear recommends closing off the lower intake fan blades entirely and just opening up the Smoke Hole. They also instructed us to position the Slow ‘N Sear insert toward the back of the kettle, directly opposite the wide open Smoke Hole in front.

The fire supplies heat and smoke to foods placed in the indirect zone on the left. Slow ‘N Sear instructed us to close the lid with the exhaust damper positioned right above the smoke hole. Then just start smokin’.​"
          The Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill is mighty nice, but very similar to the Weber Performer, which is not a bad thing. If you're in the market for a new charcoal kettle grill, read our review because this one may be for you. It's definitely worth consideration. We award the Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill our AmazingRibs.com Best Value Platinum Medal.

Comment

• JLR
            JLR commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. That is very interesting when compared to their instruction video. Regardless, I will begin using this method.
            BTW, I probably read your review a dozen times before buying it. It was one of the main reasons I chose this kettle. This part makes a lot more sense now that I have one! Keep up the good work.

I think you are overthinking it, and in fact, having the "smoke" air intake directly under the SNS may allow it to get clogged with ashes during a long cook. With my temp controller on my Weber Performer, I have the temp controller blower and the hole I made for it on the OPPOSITE side from the SNS, so that the air deflector on that intake pushes air across the bottom of the kettle towards the bottom of the SNS. I have a DNG on the charcoal shelf, but as you point out, that is not a tight fit. I don't think its a problem though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here