Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PK360 has Cracks/Discoloration on Lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a several conversations with the PK customer service people about this problem. At first, they were really sticking to their guns that these were not cracks, that it is purely cosmetic, it won't effect the performance of the grill, they stand by the product, etc... And when I still insisted they replace it, they said that their entire stock of PK360's has these cracks, so replacing would be pointless. The customer service rep could tell I was not happy with this so she took my concern up the company ladder to figure out how to make things right. The higher ups told her that the mold gets these imperfections over time and need to be repaired or replaced periodically. And, as it turns out, they were actually in the process of replacing this faulty mold. And the next batch of PK360s, due in October/November, would be from this new mold. So, based on this new info, the rep said that I could keep the cracked grill for now and when the new grills arrive, they would replace my lid (the bottom piece on mine is fine). I have been cooking on the cracked grill and it seems to be holding up, but I am still planning on replacing my lid when they are available. I feel like the customer service team did right by me in the end, but I'm disappointed to hear that they are still selling these cracked lids. At the very least, they should inform customers about these cracks before they buy? In any rate, I'm sure that if you call PK they will replace or refund. I hope this helped. Good luck!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the update. This is good information.

I got an email from customer service this morning. She apologized for the grill and said they would be sending me out a new lid in two weeks and I could mail back the old lid. From reading what you wrote, it sounds like they are also waiting on the new mold to be made.

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good to hear they are stepping up on these issues.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on the new PK GO when they become available next month. At least I know they are using fresh molds.

I was ready to buy one seven months ago after viewing one at a dealers. I noticed these defects at the time and wondered about them. I eventually passed and bought an M Grills M16, a larger heavy 3/16 inch thick- stainless steel table-top grill for $850. I considered it just $50 more than the PK, yet it's so much more substantial, constructed like a piece of industrial equipment. I use it much like I was planning to use the PK, direct high temp and indirect. No worries about a bad casting.

Comment

• Jzjones
      Jzjones commented
      Editing a comment
      I just looked up that M16 grill. It looks cool and has some nice features. How do you like cooking on it?

Thanks for the update 101airborne. It sounds like PK is getting their act together on this. I just hope the new batch from the new mold is better. Let's keep each other posted.

Comment

Love cooking on it. Coals are at the perfect level for steaks and the vents allow good control for direct and indirect. The workmanship is amazing and there’s no leaks anywhere. Same gasket as on my Yoder. As far as I’m concerned it’s one of those rare finds that I feel lucky to have discovered.

Comment

I think it is worth noting that the 360 is Made in China, which I'm guessing gives them a sightly longer time for recourse and corrections to things like this due to outsourcing the factory vs the Original and TX models that has the capsule Made in the USA and right in front of their faces.

They should replace the parts w/this significant of a flaw, even if it is only an eye sore, which I doubt, at least over the long term.

You paid full price and the aesthetics matter, especially if you bought it, sight unseen from them or another online retailer and trusted it would come in smooth and flaw free.

My TX upper capsule had a slightly under drilled and oblong screw hole for the handle/screw junction; PK said they would replace if I wanted to do so, I just needed to send them photos of it.

I took my chances and lightly bored it out more w/a drill bit and then used a high speed impact driver to lock down the screw and force the aluminum to be bored out the rest of the way via force b/c it was less than .5MM off where it should be.

I figured if they tell you to drill into the capsule lid for the Tel-Tru add on, my solution couldn't be much worse.

This seemingly worked well as there was no cracking and if it blew the capsule has a 20 year warranty.

I'm adding a 360 to the outdoor grilling station of the new house we're building, thank you for making us aware of this issue, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it or similar issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here