Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PK360 has Cracks/Discoloration on Lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PK360 has Cracks/Discoloration on Lid

Hello everyone!

I am a new member of the forum (and to outdoor cooking). I just set up my new PK360 and I noticed a series of cracks on the inside of the lid. It looks like whoever poured the aluminum tried to brush or smooth out the cracks, but it didn’t work. I’m assuming that the cracks are probably just cosmetic, but it still makes me nervous that the cracks might spread over time (and I’m planning on owning this grill for a very long time). Plus, the cracks are kind of unattractive b/c the aluminum is discolored where it is cracked (I have not cooked on the grill so that discoloration is how it looked out of the box). There is also some discoloration on the outside of the lid where they must have sanded it down (Picture #5). I didn't read anything about this on their website or on any product reviews prior to purchase, so I was expecting it to look perfect out of the box. I contacted PK and this is what they said:

"Hi Jason, Thanks for checking in with us! What you are seeing is very normal and is the raw aluminum exposed. When the casting is pulled from the mold they will go back and smooth it out. Think of it like a fingerprint. They aren't covering or patching cracks, they are just smoothing out the raised ridges. Once you start cooking on the grill, the interior lid will take on a smoky patina and all of that won't show."

I am no expert on cast aluminum, but these really looks like cracks to me, not smoothed out ridges. Does anyone else have cracks and discoloration like this on their PK? I'm trying to figure out if I should push the issue and insist on an exchange. Any info and advice is very much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Return, Return, Return is my opinion. Looks to be reject.

Comment

I have a PK original (13 yrs old) not the 360, mine never looked anything like that. Will be interested to see what the other 360 owners experience is.

Comment

I would definitely return that immediately. Call pk direct and send them pictures. Is it just the lid half? Maybe they can just send you that piece.

Comment

I would not keep it. But - if you do keep it, save all the correspondence in case there is a problem down the line...

Comment

Return. It does 2 things. Provides relief and sends a message that you expect better for $700. It should be flawless at that price.

Comment

My 360 looks nothing like that, none that I’ve seen look nothing like that. Like was said above, return it, $700 is a lot to spend. Good luck.

Comment

I tend to be a "live and let live" kinda guy. But I agree that they look like cracks and they should replace it, IMHO.

Comment

Yeah, that's not okay.

Comment

That last pic looks like someone tried to Friction Weld that lid back together after it fell on the ground and broke, only the guy doing the "welding" forgot his glasses at the house and just winged it.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I’ve had my 360 for about 3 yrs and I don’t remember ever seeing anything like that when I unpacked it. Pretty sure I would’ve noticed that. Seems like one of those things that I wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about and would drive me crazy. Would definitely return if it were me.

Comment

Nothing like that on my 360. If you zoom in on a few of those pics it is definitely cracked.
                        I'm not sure why there would be ''mold marks'' in that part of the cast to start with.
                        Last edited by Cheef; August 22, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

I am now feeling very confident that my PK is defective. I emailed customer service and insisted that it be replaced, and I will be calling them first thing on Monday. I am a little worried about how the customer service rep called these cracks "normal." It makes me think I am not the only person to have this problem and that the replacement grill they send me might be the same. So I am also going to ask them to inspect the replacement PK before sending it. Thank you for all the replies, it was really helpful! I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

Metal may of not been at correct temperature when I would guess injected into the mold. Looks like they tried to clean it up some. I would either get a replacement top or rebate.

Comment

My PK360 came in today and I am having the same problem. I expected more from a $700 girll.

What was the final verdict? Did you replace the lid or let it ride?

Here are the photos of what I recieved

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	915102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	915103Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	915104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	915105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	915106

Comment

• HawkerXP
                                HawkerXP commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I'd say "PK, its time to throw out that mold."

Those round spots are where the molten metal is injected into the mold. The "cracks" could be a defect in the mold. Or like I said above, metal not at correct temp when injected. Those crosshatch lines appears to be a halfass attempt to clean it up.

• Donw
                                Donw commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Exactly as HawkerXP stated. Demand better for $700.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here