Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Save $100 by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

PK360 for downsizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binarypaladin
    Club Member
    • May 2017
    • Weber Original Kettle Premium 22 (black)
      Weber Smokey Mountain 18
      Weber Jumbo Joe
      Adrenaline Barbecue Company Slow 'N Sear (original)
      Adrenaline Barbecue Company Charcoal Basket
      Adrenaline Barbecue Company Drip 'N Griddle Pan
      Cajun Bandit Smokey Mountain Upgrade Kit
      Gateway Drum Smoker Rib Hanger Kit
      Thermoworks Smoke
      Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo (red)
      Flame Boss 300

PK360 for downsizing?

To be honest, I think I may have been vaccinated against true MCS or maybe I have genetic immunity. I have a handful of cookers, but all with a purpose. For instance, my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain is all about capacity. I tend to use it more like a PBC with hangers, but prefer the better control of temperatures. Of course, I have 22" Weber Kettle because... why not? I also have a Jumbo Joe which I got purely for travel—since that's kind of its thing. Seeing three cookers in my backyard right now just looks silly to me, lol.

With all that said, I have been eyeing the PK360 lately. I really like the shape compared to the round kettles, the heavy aluminum seems to be almost entirely advantages over thin steel (except for weight), and it breaks down really nicely. I figure I could replace my kettle and Jumbo Joe with a PK360 (and hopefully sell them to offset the wallet damage a bit).

The capacity seems right on par with a 22" kettle, but I find that oval setups tend to be more flexible in terms of layouts, so I imagine I can get a bit more in there.

Also, I've seen bunch of posted by Larry Grover and Polarbear777 that have be really intrigued with some of the setups.

Would I really be missing anything? Anything I should be aware of? The weight difference isn't a bother. I travel with my Jumbo Joe, but most of the travel is in the back of a van. I'm not gonna carry it miles to a campsite or anything like that. I'm cooking over live fires at that point. (I'd lose out on the cold grate technique. That might hurt a little.)
  • Polarbear777
    Club Member
    • Sep 2016

I don’t bother with cold grate technique. I use flat metal skewers for a “no-grate” technique.

The only problem with the pk360 is that is has about the same capacity as a standard kettle so some things (like a 20 lb brisket) need to be split to fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FAFACE2-0CB1-4DF9-8AC4-523D2348934A.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	692671

Comment

• Spacecase
      Club Member
      • Dec 2017
      • Florida
      • Proud owner of: PK 360, 18 inch Weber Smokey Mountain, 22 inch Weber Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Weber E-310, and Rec Tec Trailblazer.

I have a 22 inch Weber kettle, a Jumbo Joe and a PK360. As much as I love the 22 incher, I haven’t used it since I got the PK360 last year. I haven't deployed the PK360 outside my yard, so I can’t comment on the portability aspect. But the JJ is so easy to transport and its resale value would be so low, that I wouldn’t sell mine.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Stopped using my kettles in favor of the pk360 and PBC. Gave them away, each with a copy of meatheads book.
    • dshaffes
      Charter Member
      • Jan 2015
      • NJ

I own all the grills you mentioned including the PK 360. It can replace the WSM and 22", but I don't really consider it a portable grill like the Jumbo Joe. Your instincts about ease of use with the rectangle shape is correct. Left and right direct and indirect cooking is really easier in my opinion. Also, the ability to dial in low and slow is remarkable.

Comment

• au4stree
        Club Member
        • Aug 2018
        • Birmingham, AL
        • Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC), PK360(graphite), Jumbo Joe and PBC. Weber kettle @ the hunting camp.

RE: portability....I’ve taken my pk360 on multiple trips, it handles just like at home. I’ve done turkey, hams and burgers with no issue. I did not take the pedestal any of the times, I just set it on my truck tailgate or my Weber table.

Comment

• Henrik
          Founding Member - Moderator Emeritus
          • Jul 2014
          • Stockholm, Sweden

The PK has a model where the stand is foldable, and the wheels are decent size (compared to the standard ‘one-leg’ stand which won’t move freely over your standard lawn). I really like the PK models, and using the foldable one means you can sell the 22 and JJ.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The pktx classic is a good choice for portable. However, the 360 has much cleaner ash management and nicer vent system, so with only one, I’d consider lugging the 360. The way the vents are designed on the 360 front and back, you can operate it without a stand, assuming the surface you are on can handle the heat
            Last edited by Polarbear777; July 26th, 2019, 05:09 PM.

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that. However it’ll cool at home WAY more than elsewhere. Basically, if a cooker easily fits in the back of my van and I can carry it alone, it works. The legs/stand tends to be the biggest issue. The PK is heavy, but not kamado heavy.
        • Mr. Bones
          Birthday Hat Master
          • Sep 2016
          • Kansas Territory
          • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
            Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
            Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
            Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
            Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
            Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
            Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
            Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
            Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
            Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
            Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
            Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
            Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
            Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
            Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
            Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
            Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
            Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
            (Lime Green)
            Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
            Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
            Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
            Maverick ET-732, (Black)
            Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
            ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
            Blue ThermaPen Mk4
            Orange Thermapen Mk4
            Pink Thermapen Mk4
            ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
            ThermoWorks Smoke
            ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
            4 Pro Series cable extensions
            Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
            2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
            BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
            Warming shelf
            MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
            Backyard Grill marinade injector
            Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
            Bear Paws
            Meat Rakes
            BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
            Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
            G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
            '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
            60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
            50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
            Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
            Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
            Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
            Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
            Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
            Multiple steels, from all over the planet
            Crock sticks
            Diamond stones, various
            Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
            Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
            Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
            Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

Were it me, I'd keep th JJ...

Ya'll see why, after a time, an ya can come back here, an like this post...

Til then, reckon ya'll jus haveta take my word fer it...

Comment

• fzxdoc
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • My toys:
              Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
              Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
              Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
              Weber Kettle Premium 22"
              Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
              Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
              Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
              Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
              Grill Grate for SnS
              Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections with GrateGriddle for Summit S650 gasser (they sit on top of existing Weber SS grates)
              2 Grill Grate Griddles
              Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
              Fireboard Competition Probes 1" (two) and two more Ambient Probes
              Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
              Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
              Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
              Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
              Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
              Thermoworks Timestick Trio
              Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
              Maverick ET 733
              Maverick (Ivation) ET 732
              Grill Pinz
              Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
              VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
              Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
              Charcoal Companion TurboQue
              A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
              Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
              Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
              Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

The JJ is so little and cute. It would be like getting rid of a kid. I bet someone would be willing to adopt it along with the purchase of your 22" kettle, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              I have some friends in mind anyway.

The JJ is small enough that I can store it away more easily than the bigger kettle. I’m also considering putting together a cooking class for homeschoolers so... it might work for that too.

(And if my next backyard is bigger, it might not matter so much!)
          • mrteddyprincess
            Club Member
            • Sep 2018

I'm going camping today and am taking the PK360 with me. Gonna do pork tenderloin and Cornell chicken, and then breakfast the next day. It's a little work to break it down and haul it, but this makes the second camping trip and my buddies have no complaints.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you operated it without the stand? I have yet to try that, but it was one of the design features that sold me over the classic pk.

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome. Seeing a video that showed someone using it on a table without the stand was a big influencer on even considering this.

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              No, the stand doesn't take up that much room and I always throw it in for convenience. Besides that, for me the best choice to set it on something to cook would be a wood picnic table. I can see that not working out well at the campground. 😅
          • Larry Grover
            Club Member
            • Mar 2017
            • https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/grills-and-smokers/charcoal/460226-bbq-guru-pit-viper-fan-to-pk360-tutorial

Since mobility is important for you I'd only be concerned about this quote from the 'Wired' review...

Finally, taking the base apart clearly didn't happen the way it's supposed to, as the pole that holds the grill in place got stuck in the base, an issue a company rep acknowledged.
            It doesn't elaborate on details but I'd contact customer service to see what they have to say. Since parts don't rust I hose out my unit periodically and the base pops right off no problem. Polarbear777 uses & abuses his PK probably more than anyone (grease dripping down the sides, cooks in the rain etc). If his base comes off clean I can't imagine this being a problem to worry about.

Mobility isn't easy-peasy because parts are heavy, but it's manageable. Once it's all setup though it's a great cooker for camping. The thick aluminum holds steady temps even in cold weather. You can do just about anything...bring a dutch oven & you can cook up braises, stews, beans...it's like taking your oven outside.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              binarypaladin I move my 360 around by myself. It would be nicer with two, but one can manage. Remember, the lid comes off. so the heaviest item is the cooker base. Also, I've never had an issue with it coming off the base, one foot holds down the base and two hands lift it off. I've never used it without the base, but I would probably put a couple of concrete blocks under it if I did.
              Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; June 10th, 2019, 05:13 PM.

• Larry Grover
              Larry Grover commented
              Editing a comment
              binarypaladin "Tight tolerance" is a good way of describing it. Putting it back on the base is more difficult than taking it off - because it has to align perfectly and you can't see underneath by yourself. Not a big issue though, takes a few tries & some wiggling. Add I always ensure the connectors are free of debris before re-installing.

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I wish there was a place to check these out locally. I couldn’t find when I looked the other day. Oh well. Probably not gonna bite the bullet just yet anyway.
          • Polarbear777
            Club Member
            • Sep 2016

I haven’t transported my pk but I would probably just bring the capsule by itself if I was going somewhere.

The only issue I’ve had is I partially melted one of the vent cover plates. Still works but looks weird. I’ve probably done a couple hundred cooks, most were low and slow but plenty of high heat sessions mixed in. I’m not worried about durability.

Well i also made the hinged part of the solid stainless grate rust a bit. It turns out when you take stainless over 1500F, it starts to degrade the alloy...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Save $100 by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
            Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
            This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order