Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK360 for downsizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK360 for downsizing?

To be honest, I think I may have been vaccinated against true MCS or maybe I have genetic immunity. I have a handful of cookers, but all with a purpose. For instance, my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain is all about capacity. I tend to use it more like a PBC with hangers, but prefer the better control of temperatures. Of course, I have 22" Weber Kettle because... why not? I also have a Jumbo Joe which I got purely for travel—since that's kind of its thing. Seeing three cookers in my backyard right now just looks silly to me, lol.

With all that said, I have been eyeing the PK360 lately. I really like the shape compared to the round kettles, the heavy aluminum seems to be almost entirely advantages over thin steel (except for weight), and it breaks down really nicely. I figure I could replace my kettle and Jumbo Joe with a PK360 (and hopefully sell them to offset the wallet damage a bit).

The capacity seems right on par with a 22" kettle, but I find that oval setups tend to be more flexible in terms of layouts, so I imagine I can get a bit more in there.

Also, I've seen bunch of posted by Larry Grover and Polarbear777 that have be really intrigued with some of the setups.

Would I really be missing anything? Anything I should be aware of? The weight difference isn't a bother. I travel with my Jumbo Joe, but most of the travel is in the back of a van. I'm not gonna carry it miles to a campsite or anything like that. I'm cooking over live fires at that point. (I'd lose out on the cold grate technique. That might hurt a little.)

I don’t bother with cold grate technique. I use flat metal skewers for a "no-grate" technique.

The only problem with the pk360 is that is has about the same capacity as a standard kettle so some things (like a 20 lb brisket) need to be split to fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FAFACE2-0CB1-4DF9-8AC4-523D2348934A.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	692671

Comment

I have a 22 inch Weber kettle, a Jumbo Joe and a PK360. As much as I love the 22 incher, I haven’t used it since I got the PK360 last year. I haven't deployed the PK360 outside my yard, so I can’t comment on the portability aspect. But the JJ is so easy to transport and its resale value would be so low, that I wouldn’t sell mine.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Stopped using my kettles in favor of the pk360 and PBC. Gave them away, each with a copy of meatheads book.

I own all the grills you mentioned including the PK 360. It can replace the WSM and 22", but I don't really consider it a portable grill like the Jumbo Joe. Your instincts about ease of use with the rectangle shape is correct. Left and right direct and indirect cooking is really easier in my opinion. Also, the ability to dial in low and slow is remarkable.

Comment

RE: portability....I’ve taken my pk360 on multiple trips, it handles just like at home. I’ve done turkey, hams and burgers with no issue. I did not take the pedestal any of the times, I just set it on my truck tailgate or my Weber table.

Comment

The PK has a model where the stand is foldable, and the wheels are decent size (compared to the standard ‘one-leg’ stand which won’t move freely over your standard lawn). I really like the PK models, and using the foldable one means you can sell the 22 and JJ.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The pktx classic is a good choice for portable. However, the 360 has much cleaner ash management and nicer vent system, so with only one, I’d consider lugging the 360. The way the vents are designed on the 360 front and back, you can operate it without a stand, assuming the surface you are on can handle the heat
            Last edited by Polarbear777; July 26, 2019, 05:09 PM.

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that. However it’ll cool at home WAY more than elsewhere. Basically, if a cooker easily fits in the back of my van and I can carry it alone, it works. The legs/stand tends to be the biggest issue. The PK is heavy, but not kamado heavy.

Were it me, I'd keep th JJ...

Ya'll see why, after a time, an ya can come back here, an like this post...

Til then, reckon ya'll jus haveta take my word fer it...

Comment

The JJ is so little and cute. It would be like getting rid of a kid. I bet someone would be willing to adopt it along with the purchase of your 22" kettle, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              I have some friends in mind anyway.

The JJ is small enough that I can store it away more easily than the bigger kettle. I’m also considering putting together a cooking class for homeschoolers so... it might work for that too.

(And if my next backyard is bigger, it might not matter so much!)

I'm going camping today and am taking the PK360 with me. Gonna do pork tenderloin and Cornell chicken, and then breakfast the next day. It's a little work to break it down and haul it, but this makes the second camping trip and my buddies have no complaints.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you operated it without the stand? I have yet to try that, but it was one of the design features that sold me over the classic pk.

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome. Seeing a video that showed someone using it on a table without the stand was a big influencer on even considering this.

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              No, the stand doesn't take up that much room and I always throw it in for convenience. Besides that, for me the best choice to set it on something to cook would be a wood picnic table. I can see that not working out well at the campground. 😅

Since mobility is important for you I'd only be concerned about this quote from the 'Wired' review...

Finally, taking the base apart clearly didn't happen the way it's supposed to, as the pole that holds the grill in place got stuck in the base, an issue a company rep acknowledged.
            It doesn't elaborate on details but I'd contact customer service to see what they have to say. Since parts don't rust I hose out my unit periodically and the base pops right off no problem. Polarbear777 uses & abuses his PK probably more than anyone (grease dripping down the sides, cooks in the rain etc). If his base comes off clean I can't imagine this being a problem to worry about.

Mobility isn't easy-peasy because parts are heavy, but it's manageable. Once it's all setup though it's a great cooker for camping. The thick aluminum holds steady temps even in cold weather. You can do just about anything...bring a dutch oven & you can cook up braises, stews, beans...it's like taking your oven outside.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              binarypaladin I move my 360 around by myself. It would be nicer with two, but one can manage. Remember, the lid comes off. so the heaviest item is the cooker base. Also, I've never had an issue with it coming off the base, one foot holds down the base and two hands lift it off. I've never used it without the base, but I would probably put a couple of concrete blocks under it if I did.
              Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; June 10, 2019, 05:13 PM.

• Larry Grover
              Larry Grover commented
              Editing a comment
              binarypaladin "Tight tolerance" is a good way of describing it. Putting it back on the base is more difficult than taking it off - because it has to align perfectly and you can't see underneath by yourself. Not a big issue though, takes a few tries & some wiggling. Add I always ensure the connectors are free of debris before re-installing.

• binarypaladin
              binarypaladin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I wish there was a place to check these out locally. I couldn’t find when I looked the other day. Oh well. Probably not gonna bite the bullet just yet anyway.

I haven’t transported my pk but I would probably just bring the capsule by itself if I was going somewhere.

The only issue I’ve had is I partially melted one of the vent cover plates. Still works but looks weird. I’ve probably done a couple hundred cooks, most were low and slow but plenty of high heat sessions mixed in. I’m not worried about durability.

Well i also made the hinged part of the solid stainless grate rust a bit. It turns out when you take stainless over 1500F, it starts to degrade the alloy...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here