Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can no longer recommend one of my all time favorite grills for most people anymore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can no longer recommend one of my all time favorite grills for most people anymore.

PK has jacked up their prices again. One of my favorite grills, the new PKGO is now selling for 450.00. I bought mine new for 250.00 and I thought that was high for a small portable grill. I won't even mention the price jump on the other grills. It's still an awesome super well built grill that will last longer then you do and if you use it all the time like I do then maybe I still recommend it. For anyone that will only use it a few times a year I would skip it at 450.00 and go for the other super awesome portable grill, The SNS Travel Kettle at 1/3 the price.

In the Florida keys, I’m happy to have a solid cast aluminum charcoal grill that will not rust away.
    my reasoning, but in fairness, I bought mine 3 years ago
    Dave

Comment

• Johnny Booth
      Johnny Booth commented
      Editing a comment
      Total agreement. Buy it once and we spend less. I’m in St. Pete. Same reasoning. 👍😎

Prices are going through the roof everywhere. Sad

Comment

I'll build before I buy again.

Comment

I agree, it's really hard to recommend now unless you live on the road or camp ALOT, then maybe the price is more palatable.

Comment

I’d have a really hard time paying that list price as well, but I’ve noticed that PK does at least offer significant discount sales very frequently. For example, although list price for the PKGO is $450 the current sale price is $338 with free shipping, which is only slightly more than the $300 I paid a couple years ago. Still pricey, but I absolutely love mine and have no regrets whatsoever. Built like a tank, so easy to set up and clean, incredible temperature control, food tastes amazing. Got a spatchcock chicken scheduled for tomorrow, can’t wait!

Comment

Hmm. I bought a PK300 for $599 with 20% off so about $480 plus tax for Thanksgiving 2022. Currently, $699 with $175 off so $524.

A couple of weeks back they were running 25% off the old $599 price too.

If you ask me, it looks like they are trying to offer bigger discounts in winter season and capture better pricing during peak buying spring/summer season.

I would not be surprised if the discounts are even bigger next Thanksgiving and pricing after discounts is back close to last year’s levels.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe they just jack up the prices to appeal to the "sale crowd." Furniture stores have a "Going out of business" sale every month.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, there is everyday low prices model (think Walmart) and Thermoworks model (constant variable sales)… Jerod Broussard
              Last edited by STEbbq; March 8, 2023, 10:07 PM.

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              @Jerrod Broussard I hear ya on the furniture sales. BF asks me every now and again if I want to go shopping at “Store Closing”. 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

Yikes that’s some $$$ for a 40 pound travel kettle!
            I’ll stick with my SNS Travel Kettle which weighs in at 18 pounds and a few less $$.
            Both look similar in capabilities.

Comment

Yeah, all the grills have dramatically increased in price the past several years. One thing it has affected is the grand prize list here on the monthly giveaway - I noticed this month that it is down to 5 choices. When I won in January 2021, there were about 12 to 15 grills and smokers on the list - I had a hard time making a decision, as my top list included 5!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Which one did you choose?

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker I went with the SNS Deluxe Kamado. I narrowed down to that, the Hasty Bake, the PK360, the Grilla Silverbak and the Good One Open Range. I decided the kamado was different enough from my kettles and other cookers, and more likely to last the next 20 years. No regrets with that decision either - I've really enjoyed it. If I won today, I would look at the Hasty Bake or the PK360.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice! That’s a solid pick. I would for sure go for the Hasty Bake! I love those

I think the price increase is just a change in marketing strategy to allow them to offer bigger discounts. List price means little - it's the sales price that counts. I have this grill - purchased from someone who recieved it as a gift and had no use. Paid $200. It's a great grill for making one or two steaks or a couple of pieces of fish. Really solidly constructed where every part fits together like a finely crafted puzzle.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                try forcing it to smoke a butt or some ribs, it's a fun experiment I do every now and then. Very well built and surprisingly capable at smoking certain things, also in flip kit mode it will feed a crowd if grilling only.... but anything over $300 makes it a no-go for many would be buyers.

I didn't like my PKGO. Too small. Tossed it in the trash.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                👀?

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                FireMan - Just messing around.

35% off now so the PK300 is now $490…

Comment

I just happened to note the price of the PK360 on 3/1/23 was 999.99. Today I got an email about a sale, but the list price is up to 1199.99.

Very disappointing!

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At this point, I don’t think anyone is paying sticker price. They are just playing with sale prices.

I've always thought PKs were a bit out of my budget before these jumps. I just can't do their prices, no way.

Comment

I live in coastal SC and the environment here has consumed MANY a grill and smoker in my arsenal. Life span on Weber charcoal decks: 3 years. Lifespan on cast iron grill grates: 3 years (Max). Lifespan on propane cabinet smokers: 4 years.
                  I am on year 4 of my PK 360...18/8 marine grade stainless charcoal deck is as pit-free as the day I bought it. 18/8 marine grade grill grates are slightly surface rusted but zero pitting/flaking and polish up with a quick grill bristle. 3/8” cast All Aluminum body is virtually indestructible. I cook on it at LEAST once a week - year round. Was it pricey? Yes. I paid about $800 for it 4 years ago. Was it worth it? Yes...they are made with ‘heirloom quality’...your grandkids will cook on it. My only reservation is that they need to be BIGGER. The 360 touts 360”^2 of cooking surface...BUT that drops to 180”^2 on a 2-zone fire. That limits you to 1 Butt, or 2 Chickens, or 2 Racks of ribs (and that’s tricky), or 1 Tomahawk steak, or 3 Ribeyes...you get the idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here