Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero’s Official PK300 Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero’s Official PK300 Review Thread

The tldr synopsis is that this thing is sweet.

Initial build thoughts here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ughts-on-pk300

Today’s cook results:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...28#post1354828

The PK300 did really well despite me really not trying hard at all. I mean, I basically opened the bottom vent under the coals to full and the vent over the meat to full, closed the other two, and it worked. It should not be this easy. But yeah, the smoker held between 250-290 for 4 hours and was cool to the touch within 2 hours. All that nice fuel saved for the next cook.

This smoker is airtight. It is nuts. I thought my other smokers were airtight but this is next level control over the cook. By all rights, I should had the smoker just run away on temps and ruin my cook. Nope. I didn’t even do any trial runs. Just threw my 31 day dry aged meat on there and said do your job smoker.

I am pretty floored about how easy this cook was to execute. The biggest challenge was getting those super slow burning coconut logs and Blue’s logs to light but this cook was on easy mode, guys.

Now I need a name for this beauty.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; January 1, 2023, 10:46 PM.

So when a BBQ expert purchases a new pit and claims ease of use we are supposed to believe that crap.

Glad you got a winner, and congrats on the two ink pens that came with the meat.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Sh*t, I am an expert now?!

I think you supposed to remove those stickers and wash the probes before using . There’s fancy little lines etched on the probes marking the minimum insertion point.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Those white stickers covered the minimum insertion line mine. I think ya need to remove them to keep your "expert" rating.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, y’all pinch and zoom all of my photos eh? Alright, alright, I removed em. 🤣

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't worry, I made the same mistake when I first use the Meater Block. Even worse, my mistake was captured in a YouTube video and a few people made sure to ridicule me for it!

That's my experience with the PKGO as well, the only hard thing on the GO is getting it to run steady under 250F but I've got that pretty well figured out now. I believe the higher temp for lowest fire management setting is unique to the GO due to it's size but I could be wrong?

Comment

Nicely done! I have the PK 360 and love the thing. Once I got used to not messing with things I too was surprised by how easy and well it holds temps. Looking forward to seeing more cooks.

Comment

I've been a PK360 ownwer since May. I too am guilty of fiddeling too much and not trusting the temps. I think my issue is that I'm too used to starting all my cooks with a fully lit chimney, even with my old Kamado I always started with chimneys. Of course I mostly do hot and fast cooks so it's not really and issue, but I gotta get better with starting cooks low and slow with starters and such. But, I'm getting better! Agree, it is very airtight even without gaskets. Always looking for more tips from PK owners!

Comment

• fkrall
          fkrall commented
          Editing a comment
          "I gotta get better with starting cooks low and slow with starters and such." FWIW, rather than snakes and piles in corners, I find it easier and faster to spread a 1/4 chimney of flaming briquettes on top of a bed of unlit briquettes in my Performer. I get to 240-250 in about 30 minutes all-in, half the time my snakes required.

Thanks! That looks easy enough. How often do you use that method? Half the time, Most of the time, or just low n 'slows?

Comment

• fkrall
          fkrall commented
          Editing a comment
          Just for LnS. I light and dump varying amounts of lump charcoal from the chimney into the Slow n Sear for regular cooks. Those grate temps are in the 325-360 range.

Congrats. Still loving mine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here